Average Carat Weight

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 120

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: Average Carat Weight
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

I wanted something quirky and different, so when we were shopping together for a ring, I decided I wanted a pearl.  It's really pretty and i'm never going to find a band that matches. lol Which is just as well, i think, because the pearl is so delicate that I probably won't wear it all the time once I'm married anyway.

I'll post a picture when i get home. It's a smaller pearl with two very small diamonds on each side and suits me perfectly!

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

PONCE Posts : 2 Registered: 2/7/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 9:54 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

My FH and I decided to get me two rings (bless him, right?) So my engagement ring is separate from the ring I will get on my wedding day.

Since that was the case, I decided to go more unique with the engagement ring. You can get WAY more bang for your buck when dealing with precious and semi-precious stones so I chose a 4.5 carat cushion cut aquamarine with .86 carat round diamonds all around. It is BEAUTIFUL and sparkley and I've gotten SOOO many compliments on the light sky blue color. It makes me feel even more proud of the man who bought it and proud to wear it actually. I love it.

My wedding ring however (I've picked it out already) is a wide band with 1.5 carats of round diamonds and baguettes and one 2 carat princess cut sitting right on top. And although I cannot wait to wear the wedding ring, I'm having a ball with my engagement ring.

Ladies, do consider precious/semi precious stones if you're looking for something different or are on a budget (my FH bought my ring at a dept. store. After its sale and discounts he paid $1500 for a ring that appraised for around $4000.) You can get something with a lot of wow and you'll get so much attention because everyone will love your originality!!

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: PONCE

I finally got pictures of my diamond in my mount!  Yay.  I posted them in my album.  :)

* Marijke *

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & that the Eskimos has a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me when you sleep & there are no words for that -Brian Andreas

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 5:49 AM Go to message in response to: DutchBride

Hey Dutch-

Your ring is beautiful! (And so is the little boy in your pictures with the peanut butter face!)

How did you get the format to change on your album??? I LOVE that!

Linda Jo 

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

Mine is between 2/3 and 3/4 carat heart shaped solitaire. I'll have to post a picture because the band is really unique.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

My center stone is 1.23ct with 0.18ct in the band (I think that includes the wedding band too actually, it came as a set)

Sweetlake Posts : 67 Registered: 6/14/08
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

Dewdropinn, you are right.  The average size most common should be calculated by numbers of individuals with specific carat weights rather than calculating the actual average of stone weights.  For example you could have ten people and one has a .10 carat, 8 have .5 carats and one has a 10 carat.  Taking the average would say that 1.41 is the average diamond size, however looking at the number of individuals we know that 80 percent of the rings had only half carat stones.

When figuring out the size most people have a bar chart placing people into size categories is going to be your best indicator.  The group with the most people will be a better representation of what the "average size" is that people have. 

Laura + Mark = ♥

TickledPeenk Posts : 175 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

I don't have mine yet but FH and I went to have it made last week.  We are using some random diamonds from his mom (not from her eering or wedding ring) and diamonds from my mom's wedding set.  All FH had to pay for was a second diamond the size of my mom's to go on the other side of the center stone from his mom and the labor to make it.

I know the sizes since I was there.  The center stone is 37 pts and my mom's was 19 pts.  So total weight it will be just a smidge over .75 carats because of the 6 chip diamonds for the pave.

The ring will look something like this when finished.  Can't wait until he makes it official!!

JJancaric Posts : 2 Registered: 11/13/08
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:35 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

My center stone is a nearly 1.7 carat HOF with a .60 carat HOF setting...so I guess a total of almost 2.3 carats. My wedding band is a 1.5 carat HOF eternity. I'm in Chicago though and have noticed that the "average" here seems to be on the larger size...I have heard this is common in larger cities. I see many girls here with 2+ carats (although you can tell they have clearly sacraficed quality to get the size). Have others noticed that the carat size changes with demographic?

Edited by: JJancaric on Mar 19, 2009 9:29 PM

Edited by: JJancaric on Mar 25, 2009 9:45 PM

AllMyLoving2009 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/8/09
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 3:21 AM Go to message in response to: JJancaric

Mine is one 1.21 round brilliant. i didnt expect such big size (for me) diamond. I love it a lot and cant stop staring at my ring.

MrsChambers Posts : 14 Registered: 2/2/09
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: AllMyLoving2009

I ♥ my ring! It's 1 3/8 carat. The center stone is in the shape of a flower.

Edited by: MrsChambers on Apr 4, 2009 9:07 PM

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

My center diamond is 2.04 and my overall with the sides is 4.40 Cts TW

Edited by: triciam on Apr 2, 2009 10:45 AM

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: triciam

I have attached a picture of mine. I absolutely love it. He had it custom made. The picture isn't the best but alonIMG00371[1]g with the top of the sides there are little ones along the outside as well.

ClayandKesh2010 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/24/09
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 7:39 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsNajar

My ring is about 1.18c TW. I have an antique style ring. The center stone is 1 carat and it has 2 very small diamonds on each side. It has alot of engravings on it. I did go with my fiance to pick out the setting, but he picked out the diamond all by himself when I wasn't with him. He bought my bands at the same time. I can't remember exactly how many carats my bands are together, but they're antique too with diamonds along the band. I know I said 2 bands, but the lady at the jewelry store had just traded in her 2 bands for newer ones. She showed them to me after I picked out the setting and fell in love! The jeweler gave us a really good price since we were buying everything at once... and with cash. And I don't believe in the saying that he should spend 2 weeks or 2 months salary, because if that were the case... I wouldn't even have a ring considering my fiance doesn't have a job because he's in school. But he did pay for it by saving up since high school... and getting money for going to school. Even if my ring were smaller I would love it. But I think that this ring was made for me and I LOVE IT!!!

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: ClayandKesh2010

My ring was given to my fh by his grandmom (Mama). It was given to her by fh's granddad (Papa) for thier 25th wedding anniversary. They where happily married for over 70 years until Papa's death four years ago. I did not meet fh until after his grandad's death so I never has a chance to meet Papa, but he sounds like such an amazing man. I have however had the chance to spend time with Mama and she is just amazing. She is 95 years old, blind and still lives on her own. I am so honored that she saw me fit to wear her ring. The ring is a 3 karat pear shape in the center with two .5 karat begets on either side. Way bigger than my FH could afford (I would have flipped if he bought a 3 karat ring. Big diamonds are nice but mortgage payments are better). I absolutely love my ring. Not just because its amazing but because of where it comes from.
wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine