is it just me!?!?

Online Users: 1,271 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

MRSNICHOLS Posts : 24 Registered: 9/5/08
is it just me!?!?
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 3:18 PM

so I got engaged about a month ago and ever since then I just can't eat. 

Now don't get me wrong, I DO EAT! I just eat 4 or 5 bites and im completely full. Ive lost 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks and my family is FREAKING OUT! 

Now im 5'5 160lbs...which is still about 20lbs more than I would like to be. But what I would really like to know is if this happened to anyone else???

I've tried to explain to my family that I just don't eat as much, and I also went from starbucks everyday to none at all, but they still feel like i'm not healthy. 

help me :-(

www.mywedding.com/caseyandbryan

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: is it just me!?!?
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

It does sound like a pretty drastic change.  Have you thought about how many calories you're taking in? I just learned in my Nutrition class that if it' fewer than about 1300, you could be doing yourself some damage. 

Also, are you taking a multi-vitamin? You should definitely be doing that if you're not eating to make sure that you're covering all your essential nutrients and vitamins! 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

STBMrsDreyfous Posts : 125 Registered: 3/26/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Well first off, congrats!

Secondly, your family DOES have a reason to be worried! Maybe its just stress-induced, but you shouldn't be practically starving yourself! Its not good for your body or mind.

I've been freaking out alot lately, due to stress (new job, classes starting soon, money, etc), and I've noticed I just don't have time to eat more than one actual meal a day. I had to get my fiance to help me remember to eat. LOL. But just remember, unless your getting married rather soon, you can just relax and enjoy it!

Good luck!

PS, if you're worried about your weight, I would recommend seeking out a personal trainer or fitness guru. They can help you figure out a schedule for your diet AND exercise.

~Becca ------May 9th, 2009! <3

Need to talk? IM me!

AIM-->beccabug7    OR

MSN-->blueisgurl02@hotmail.com

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Sounds like starvation!
Jeez, please be careful!
You don't wanna end up sick in the hospital!!!

Emy
September 27, 2008 & October 4, 2008
http://www.mywedding.com/BryanAndMariaEmanuelasWedding

jbecca Posts : 1 Registered: 9/21/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 2:18 AM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Recently when I started planning my wedding the same thing happened to me.  I would drink 2 venti starbucks per day and now I can't finish a cup.  I also get full quickly.  What a wierd coincedence.  Maybe its stress

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 7:09 AM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Well.....I guess the answer is that it depends.  If you're still getting around 1200 calories a day, but you're just eating it in spurts of 5-6 bites 10 times a day, that's not nearly as much of a problem as if you were only eating 500 calories a day.  The latter is starvation.

A person of your size and height should be eating no less than 1200 calories a day if you're trying to lose weight, and probably between 1500 and 1600 calories a day if you're not.  8 pounds in 3 weeks, especially the first 3 weeks of a diet, is really not drastic weight loss, it's really just on the high end of the healthy weight loss range.  So I wouldn't worry too much about what the pp said about doing real damage to yourself by losing weight at too drastic a rate.  She is right though, that anything under 1200 calories a day can be harmful to your body.

I think you need to take stock of the eating situation before you decide what to do.  You've said you don't feel like you're eating much, but is what you're eating balanced?  Getting in more calories by eating 5-6 bites of McDonalds is obviously not good for you, you want to be getting all those food groups in!

A few posters have suggested seeing a personal trainer or fitness guru if you want help, but in your situation I'd actually recommend seeing a nutritionist.  You don't sound like you have questions about a workout routine, you have questions about whether you're eating enough and what you should be eating.  This is precisely what a professional nutritionist can help you with.

MRSNICHOLS Posts : 24 Registered: 9/5/08
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

wow thank you guys all for advice.

i swear im not starving myself. I eat like 7 or 8 times a day...just not big meals. And i do have alot of stress...not from the wedding but life/girl stress. 

funny you should mention a personal trainer/nutritionist. My fiancee is going to school for both of those things and ive talked to him about it and he says its pretty normal for women to go in waves of eating habits and weight loss and that he is making me keep a journal of what i have been eating so he could evaluate it( sweet huh?)

Its more my family. I dont feel like putting back on those 8 pounds to prove to them that im not sick. I guess I just would like them to back off a little, and when ive mentioned this they think im getting defensive. Im just a little frustrated thats all :-(

www.mywedding.com/caseyandbryan

BridalBlogger Posts : 6 Registered: 3/17/09
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 2:15 AM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

That is great that your fiancé is going to school for personal training and nutrition. It is also good that he is helping you by keeping track of what you are eating (and very sweet!) I want to really tone and firm up before my wedding and I watch a show that has great nutrition and exercise advice for brides. It is called "Bulging Brides" but it is only available if you have Direct TV (I think) anyways I have a blog http://www.bridal-talk.com and every week I report the notes I take from the show (under fitness category). Every post has a healthy and realistic meal plan along with exercise routines to get you in shape for you wedding. On the show they encourage you to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day (which is pretty realistic) Each bride to be on the show usually wants to loose a certain amount of pounds or inches before their big day, and this show guarantees results, and I have seen them as well!

Best of luck to you on your big day! Feel free to stop by my blog anytime!

Bridal Blogger

Advice for brides from a bride!

http://www.bridal-talk.com

ilovehim Posts : 179 Registered: 6/8/06
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Sounds like you're just cutting out extra calories you don't really need. We generally don't have a good idea of what too much is anymore b/c our portion sizes are so distorted. If you're cutting out things like calorie packed coffee drinks and losing weight it only makes sense. Calories in vs. Calories out. Fewer in = weight loss.
I think you're fine. Just make sure you eat when you're hungry and unless you're losing weight at some sort of crazy fast rate (1 - 2 pouns/wk is normal) then keep going with it.
Also, if you have more weight to lose it may come off a little quicker at first.

I'm from Louisiana.  The home of good food, bad education, and highly opinionated Catholics.

Love, 

Rebecca

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: MRSNICHOLS

Dear OP

I think sometimes when I have a lot going on and I'm really stressed/worrying about something I tend to either a) eat a ton or b) eat hardly anything.

Right now I don't think that you have anything to be too worried about.... loosing 8 lbs in one week is not that big of a deal and as you said in your post, you want to loose more weight. As long as you are eating then there should be no worries.

I would look at this from a different approach and tell your family that you are trying to loose weight and that you are eating. Good luck!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I wouldn't worry about it. IMO this will go away on its own. When I'm nervous/excited in a good way for period (like when I first started dating my hubby, and again when we got engaged), I'm not able to eat as much as I usually do. I also really love junk food and I'm not able to stomach as much junk food during those times, either (which is probably good since I think I eat too much junk food usually!).

Anyway, I'm guessing that once the newness of your engagement wears off you'll probably automatically go back to normal eating habits. And then it may come back again for awhile as your wedding day approaches.

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine