Engagement Pictures-Yes or NO?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

kbrazda080809 Posts : 9 Registered: 8/18/08
Engagement Pictures-Yes or NO?
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 5:27 PM

We have been engaged since July of 2008. We are getting married August 2009. Do you have to get engagement pictures? What exactly are engagement pictures used for?? We did not do Save the Date Cards and we do not have a website. I have received wedding invites in the past that had pictures of the couple in with the invite.

What are you suggestions on using pictures in the invite. Now sure yet if we are going to spend the money on engagement pictures.

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Re: Engagement Pictures-Yes or NO?
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

We have a free engagement pic session included in our photographer package, but we probably are not gonna use it. Honestly, we have enough pics of us together and are not doing photo save the dates or invites. If I had to shell out more cash for it, then I really wouldn't do it. Its a personal preference.

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

My photographer threw in the Engagement Session for us. We are going to use it for our save the date cards. If you are not going to get it for free and you aren't sending out save the dates I would say save your money.

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

Our photographer throws it in for free. She told me that she uses that session to make sure she knows how to capture FH and I best. She said that every couple has it's own challenges, and if she takes some shots before the big day, it gives her a game plan. We're not really planning on doing anything with the pictures, but I really think that it's a good idea to have a session with your photographer ahead of time.

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

Some people care about engagement photos - others don't. Typically, they're used for newspaper announcements, save-the-date cards, and photos for the wedding website - or perhaps you just want to commemorate your engagement by having professional photos taken. For most couples, engagement photos are the first professional photos they have taken together. A lot of people book engagement photos with the same photographer that they intend to use for their wedding. It's a good way to see if you like the way the photographer works and the photos that he/she gives you. It's also a good way to practice having your photo taken. That sounds silly, but how often do people take countless photos of you? If you see your engagement photos and realize that you tend to tilt your head at an awkward angle or smile funny, you can try to avoid that in your wedding pictures.

That said, we really didn't care about engagement photos, but our photographer offered to do them for free (she was building her portfolio), so we took her up on it. We didn't do anything with them, other than framing two of them for the 'photo table' that our moms were putting together at the reception. It's nice that we have some nice professional photos of the two of us in normal clothes (rather than all our professional photos being wedding photos), but other than that, we could've lived without them. It's up to you, really. Nobody will know or care if you skip them.

Oh, and on the 'timeframe' question, you don't need to get them done as soon as you're engaged, so it wouldn't be ridiculous to get them done after having been engaged for a while. We didn't do ours until 2 weeks before our wedding because we wanted to take them down at the Tidal Basin while the cherry blossoms were in bloom.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

I LOVE pictures so you bet I will get engagement pics done. It's good to look back and say, "awww look, our engagement pics". It's a good opportunity to take professional pictures as a couple. Maybe it's just me but like I said I take any opportunity for pics lol. But lucky for us we are getting ours done for free cuz my FH knows a lady that will do them for free. :) We may also use one engagement pic to blow up by the guest sign in table. Or we may use them on our invites or something.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

areagan85 Posts : 21 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

We just had ours taken on Saturday. A friend of mine asked me if she could do them so she could build up her profile and all. My cousin also asked me if she could take some to build her profile up. I wanted them because I like pictures and like someone already said it is always nice to look back on them years down the road. I also plan on making a scrapbook of some sort, using one for an announcement for the paper and my friends planning a bridal shower wanted to use some of us when we first started dating and throughout the past 5 years and then now as decoration at the shower. So there are several reasons you could use engagement pictures. I can suggest to not pay for them. I'm sure you can find a friend that can take the pictures for you at a local park or something with your camera. It's much cheaper that way and a way to spend a little time with a good friend. My Sister, nephew and I actually did that for Christmas instead of paying someone $40 to take Christmas pictures. They turned out just as nice! :)

wedding countdown

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

Dear KB,

"Do you have to get engagement pictures?"

No. Totally optional, depending on the couple, their budget, etc.

Remember, EVERYTHING about a wedding is optional, except for four things: The groom, the bride, the officiant and the license. If you've got a willing groom, an officiant and a license, you're good to go. You can get married in jeans if you like and eschew the fluffy white dress. You can opt out of flowers, limos, professional hair styling and calligraphed invitations.

As you are planning, think carefully about how much stuff costs, your total budget and where your priorities lie. You might not care about a limo, but do care about a great cake. Another couple might really want the limo, but forget professional hair styling. Both couples are equally married at the end of the day!

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We ended up getting photos done at Sears not long before we got engaged (like a month) so we used those as engagement photos. I totally agree with the others that they are not required! If you don't have a use for them in mind, and they aren't included free with teh photographer I would probably skip them.

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Engagement pictures are totally optional.

DH and I took engagement photos and sent them out with our save the date cards. Even if we didn't do STD's we would have taken them anyway. First, its a great chance to work with the photohrapher before the wedding and see how he or she operates.

Second, we like the idea of having a nice profesional photo of us in something other than a wedding gown and tuxedo. We are dressed nicely in the photos, jeans and dressy sweaters, but nothing fancy. We have lots of pictures of us from other occasions, but I love the ones our photographer took.

Don't make me go Brooklyn on you. I have brass knuckles and I know how to use them.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

most weddings ive been to of friends, there is usually a picture of the couple placed on the table with the guestbook and all that.

our photographer package didn't include an engagement sitting, but DH and I wanted a nice photo of just the 2 of us, so we went to the PictureMe! studio at Walmart, as they had a fall special for like $8. It seemed like it went well, but when we got our pictures 3 weeks later you could see every little flaw on it and we both looked extremely pale and washed out due to the lighting and really weren't thrilled enough to use those (guess that's what you get for $8 photos at Walmart!).

At a friend's wedding a month or so before ours, the ceremony was at this gorgeous outdoor garden, so my mother in law was taking photos of the family before the ceremony started (her parents were friends with both our parents so both our families were there). She took a really nice photo of DH and I and we ended up using that one to display at our guestbook table.

So if an engagement setting is included with your package, go for it, but if not, I wouldnt worry too much about it - just find a favorite photo of you and DH and use that if you must have a photo by your guestbook at the reception.

we did STDs, but didn't have a photo of ourselves on it - they were something more artsy that I put together.

Friends since December 1997, together since December 2006
September 13, 2008 I legally became his and he became mine.

MovieBits - your source for reviews, news and more!
www.moviebits.blogspot.com

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

We did them and I'm glad we did. We had a 8X10 picture from the engagement photo session at the guestbook table at our wedding.

Also engagment photos help your photographer learn more about you and your personality which would help when it comes to doing wedding photos.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

Hi and congrats on your engagement! My husband and I took them and I am glad we did. Because he took our favorite and made it a 16x20 to put on our guestbook table. The most important thing about the session was it gave us an opportunity to become comfortable with our photographer. However, they are totally optional, but nice to have pics in your regular clothes before the wedding! Good luck!

kbrazda080809 Posts : 9 Registered: 8/18/08
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Thanks everyone!!!!!

I appreciate all the feedback. I wish we could do it with our photographer but we live in Florida and getting married in Nebraska. Unless we actually get a chance to make it back to Nebraska before the wedding to have it done, we will not meet the photographers until the week before our wedding. We were thinking of either going to Target or JCPenny to get our pictures done. My FH also works with a guy whose wife is a professional photographer so she may be able to help us with the price.

So thanks again everyone for their feedback. Every opinions helps a bunch.

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 3:24 AM Go to message in response to: kbrazda080809

We got our engagement pics taken this past fall and we are getting married in August. Ours were included in our photography package for the wedding. It was nice to meet with the photographer ahead of time. He also gave us some good advice. People at the wedding love to see you as a couple, they love to see pictures, and share in your life so try to use your pictures as much as you can. And we have. Besides framing a few, we used them for christmas cards. We are also using ours in our guest book. We are having a book made of pictures. One side of the book is pics and then next to the picture there is a blank page for guests to write notes of sign for us. It is more of a keep sake then just a guest book. We used about 20 picuters and took 11 pics from us as a couple over the past 7 years that we have been together and then the other half were different engagement pics. We lucked out because we keep the copy rights to the pictures so we can use them however we want without worrying about a copy right.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine