Live Band vs. DJ

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Live Band vs. DJ
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:57 PM

We are not sure which we would rather have....a live band or a DJ. What does everyone else think? Has anyone on here who already had their wedding wish they picked the opposite of what they had at their wedding?

Any and all comments, thoughts, suggestions are welcomed.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: Live Band vs. DJ
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Hubs wanted a live band, I said a DJ would be fine because I didn't want to cough up the extra $$, and, after our wedding, I had to admit that he was right.

I totally wish we'd done a live band instead. Not because our DJ wasn't good -- he was, I just think a live band would've added more "wow" and people would've danced longer, especially the older ones.

I say do a band.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I am a big fan of the DJ. I have been to several weddings with bands, and people never seemed to enjoy themselves as much. At one wedding the band only played half the reception and the other half they were taking breaks.

Both can be good, but the good bands can be expensive. Keep in mind, if you have to feed vendors, the band is a lot more people.

It is up to you, but I'd say a DJ is more cost effective. And if you are specific about music, a DJ is more likely to have exactly what you want.

Don't make me go Brooklyn on you. I have brass knuckles and I know how to use them.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I thik it depends on the band. 2 weddings I went to last year had a band. One band was SOOOOOO much fun, we didnt wanna leave. The other one was just so-so. I think the best way to determine a good band is to go off of weddings you've been to and have seen them at. If the awesome band we saw wasn't so expensive we would have went with them in a heartbeat.

Also, think about HOW you want to hear your first dance song, father/daughter song and stuff. Do you want to hear it by the original artist (DJ) or done a little differently (band?)

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

LadyE2010 Posts : 83 Registered: 10/30/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I've attended a couple weddings, and I really enjoyed the ones with a DJ. Bands are fun, but to the weddings I've been to that had them, they seem to keep the same beat the whole night through, and dancing to the same tempo can get a little boring. Sure, it was fun to see them performing, but if you want a full dance floor the whole time, I would suggest a DJ. They are usually more versitile and have some type of music for all to enjoy.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

One thing to consider is that live bands almost always cost more. If they're good, there's nothing like a live band. If they're not, well, save your money. he only way to know is to go somewhere that they're playing and observe (even viewing their tapes isn't the same as hearing them in person). My daughter had a live band, and they were great.The proof is that several of her friends have hired them, and several of the friends' friends also have hired them after attending weddings where they played.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

SocietyChic Posts : 6 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:26 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

Any wedding I've ever been to that had a live band was always more fun it seems. But
I guess the band really needs to conform to the theme of your wedding. And of course, cost,
always cost.

FutureMrsRizzo Posts : 2 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: SocietyChic

Live Band all the way, ONLY if it's a really good one. Don't get a live band just to get one. They have to be good . If a really good one isn't in your budget, I would definitely go with a DJ. There is nothing worse than a sucky band.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsRizzo

I like DJs better!!!
With DJs your options are endless for different playlists, they can get just about anything!
where as you can't request a band to learn 50 new songs if they don't already know some of your personal favourites.

Also their are some super fun songs that you just need the original for.

JaimeKim Posts : 3 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hello All

Does anyone have any recommendations for live bands?

Thanks

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: JaimeKim

We had an amazing live band with an amazing repetoire. Of course it was 11 pieces and it cost a pretty penny. if I could do it again, I wouldn't think twice about hiring them. Everyone - young and old - danced the night away and we had rave reviews from our guests.

The talent group which our band was a part of represented bands that ranged in price from 3.5k to 10k, depending on size, for a full nights worth of playing. And mind you, for our band, the members alternated food & drink breaks, so there was hardly any breaks in the music. A good band is worth every dime.

EDIT: When choosing a band, make sure to see if they have talent showcases or at least will provide you a DVD of their work!

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 11:09 PM Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 11:10 PM

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 26, 2009 11:11 PM

JaimeKim Posts : 3 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

I found a band called Smokin' Section and was very impressed by the types of songs they know. I am currently waiting for a complimentary CD. I don't mind paying for it but wasn't sure how much to allocate in the budget.

Thanks for you help.

Jaime

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

personally I wanted, and went with, a DJ. Live bands are more expensive but for an evening wedding much more elegant feeling! We had an outdoor mid-morning wedding--a live band would have been overkill!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

If you are on a budget I would say DJ because it's less mouths to feed :-p Plus if it's a band and you don't like the music they play then you are out of luck, whereas a DJ can change any songs and types of music.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I'm going with a DJ. It fits me and my fiance better. He actually is a DJ, so one of his friends will be DJ-ing our reception. Plus, I think we can have more variety, and know what exact songs will be played and how they will be played. I'm just really not a fan of live bands, and for the music we want played, I think a DJ is the best way to go!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine