travel alert cramping honeymoon plans

Online Users: 1,254 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

bird620 Posts : 34 Registered: 4/12/08
travel alert cramping honeymoon plans
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 11:19 PM

hi, ladies

this is half venting/half seeing what you all think. so yesterday, my future father in law who is a cop became very concerned with the recently issued travel alert to Mexico. It seems that it is more near the border area versus Cancun, where we are going, although crime has increased there as well. I have called AAA and the US embassy in Mexico, and they both seem to think that tourists should be fine as long as they're cautious and stay in resort areas. FH listens to his dad alot, so I kinda feel like I'm arguing alone. sigh So I was just wondering if other brides/travelers are having to deal with this situation in Mexico, or another place that has a travel alert

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Re: travel alert cramping honeymoon plans
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

We went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for our honeymoon and I wished we went somewhere else. I just didnt care for Mexico and I was so worried something was going to happen that I couldnt even enjoy the trip.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

Dear Bird 620,

I have traveled a lot in my life (40+ countries, including Mexico) and can offer you some sound advice.

The narco trafficking violence seems to be concentrated in the border areas, and drug smuggling corridors. So far, Cancun seems to be untouched, although anything can happen any time. The violence is directed at police and military units, not tourists. The Los Angeles Times has been particularly good about covering this story. You might check out there website (www.latimes.com) and search for Violence/Crime in Mexico stories.

Right now, today, I would not have a problem going to Cancun, but I would exercise my ordinary, normal "travel smarts". I would not venture off the tourist beaten track and would avoid dicey places like brothels, drug houses, etc. (As if anyone needs to remind me that brothels are dangerous!)

One of the things a tourist has to watch out for, in any place, but especially in Mexico, are the so-called ATM kidnappings. They find someone at an ATM, then take them to other ATMs until the entire account is cleaned out. You could avoid this by using a pre-paid ATM card where there are limited funds. Or, you could only use an ATM in a safe place, such as your hotel lobby or a secure bank lobby.

I have a book that I would recommend to you ("The Safe Travel Book" by Peter Savage), however he has not written a new edition since 1999. The 1999 book offers the old advice, standard before 9/11, of going along with the hijackers on the theory that they were not suicidal.

Instead, I just went to Amazon.com and looked up "safe travel book". I found something that looks interesting, and will order it for myself:

"Safe Overseas Travel" (ISBN 1932777784).

It was published Nov, 2008, so should be up to date. My suggestion is to get that book, or one like it, and read it. Then use that as a basis of discussion with your FH.

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: bird620

I went to Cabo San Lucas last year, and felt totally safe. We flew directly into Cabo, and in general it seems that the farther down in Mexico you go, the safer you are. The border towns are where most of the danger is, so, if you are flying directly to Cancun and plan on staying in high tourist areas, you should be fine. You could consider arranging a car from the hotel to pick you up from the airport, just as an added precaution?

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:35 AM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I don't think I'd personally ever travel to Mexico. I don't want to go anywhere where I'd have to follow certain guidelines in order to feel safe - but then again, a family member of mine was kidnapped, killed and chopped into pieces in Mexico, so I'm a tad biased.

However, that is just ME. If YOU are not too nervous about it, just be smart about it. I would take auntofthebride's advice, see if your travel agent can offer any additional advice too. If it's a commonly visited area, it's probably not too dangerous to visit.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 7:09 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

We were just in Mexico in August and it was wonderful. At that time truthfully, we didn't have to be anymore careful then you would need to be if you were in NY city. There seems to be a lot of turmoil there right now though but as long as you are careful, I don't think there should be any problems.

Truthfully, it was no different then traveling to London, Moscow or NY city for me. Tourists are targets anywhere they travel, so I think whenever you travel heightened awareness of your surroundings and extra vigilance are always important.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: bird620

We are going to Cancun in May, and the recent news isn't changing that. We are viewing it as a similar situation if you went to any of the Carribean Islands. You always hear in Jamaica or the Dominican, "don't leave your resort"! So the only thing it may put a damper on is our off resort excursions. Which is kind of a bummer, because we picked Mexico so we could see things other then our resort. Personally, I did a study abroad program in England for 3 months, leaving 9 days after 9/11, and my thought was always.. if something happens it happens, but I won't be able to live with the regret of missing a great opportunity. So I say go and have fun, just be smart. Things happen everywhere, remember the girl in Aruba?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Dear BL,

"I don't want to go anywhere where I'd have to follow certain guidelines in order to feel safe "

You have to do that, even in your own hometown.

Do you leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition?

Do you leave your front door unlocked at night?

Do you avoid certain areas of your own hometown at night?

Everyone, everywhere need to exercise ordinary, normal street smarts and take ordinary, normal precautions. The same thing is true in the United States, Canada and any country anywhere in the world.

bird620 Posts : 34 Registered: 4/12/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Hi, ladies

Thanks for weighing in. At this point, I am not personally too concerned, but the parents are still being protective, as is their job. We agreed that Spring Break would be a good gauge of Cancun's safety, so hopefully they'll chill out after that.

Thanks, again :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine