HELP! Cant choose between 2 photographers!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
HELP! Cant choose between 2 photographers!!
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:03 PM

Hi Ladies!!

My fiance and I are torn between 2 photographers. They are both very nice, helpful, would be easy to work with and are very talented. Each one offers the same package for basically the same price. They also both have nice albums for roughly the same price. (I dont want to base all my pics off of who can save me a few bucks on an album...so for decision purposes, lets say they charge the same)

Please take a look at their site and let me know what you think. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly! lol. Also, if you or anyone else you know has used either, I'd love to know that too!

Thanks a million!!

here they are:

http://www.meredithmascola.com/

http://www.cdraghiphoto.com/Pages/Default.aspx

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: HELP! Cant choose between 2 photographers!!
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I say rock paper scissors. I tried looking at the websites. The Meredith one was driving me crazy because it took forever to load. But the ones I saw looked good. The other one had ok pics, but there wasn't that many, so it was hard to tell. Good luck!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

I say the first one. The pictures seem to catch the correct light lighting better and looks very talented. The second one is still good, but not as good as the first.

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

-Dr Seuss

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 4:54 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

I looked through all of the photos on both websites. They're both professional and take lovely photographs.

That said, I prefer the first option, Meredith Mascola and her husband, mostly because their images feel more personal. I can tell what's happening in every picture and almost feel it like I'm there at the wedding. They have pictures of everything you'd expect (rings, kissing, flowers, etc.) and more (quiet reflections of the bride and groom, guests dancing, etc) and most of it's from a unique perspective. Most of the people in the pictures aren't even aware that the picture is being taken, and imo, the candid photos are the best kind. In addition, I thought that MM did a better job exposing (getting the light right). However, there were a few blurry photos on their website (the very first one in the "ceremony" category, for example).

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

thanks for all the input! Please, keep it coming! :)

I actually think some of the "blurry" picks on Meredith's site are on purpose. Like the first one in the ceremony section...I think that is an effect she used on the picture to give it a more "old" and antique feel. Cause the same effect appears on a few more pictures too. But, I could be wrong.

Also, on Mereidth site, you can see a wedding "slideshow" from start to finish under the "featured" category. I like that cause you can see it from start to finish.

Also, Carrie's website has some slideshows too. but they go kind of fast.

Can you see my dilemma? lol

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

Have you met with both photographers in person? If not, do that and I think that will help you out a lot. When you are having trouble deciding between two vendors, I think one of the most important things is personalities and whether or not you clash or mesh well. This person will be spending the entire day with you and be closeby. Do you want someone who is mellow or more take charge and outgoing? Spend some time with each in their office or place of business if possible and decide which is the most pleasurable and relaxing experience. I know with me, my photographer was a coworker/acquaintance and although she did a nice job, her personality was much too high strung and harsh on my wedding day. In hindsight, I would have preferred someone a bit more lighthearted and mellow.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

yes, we have met with both photographers. And, we like both of them as far as their personalities go. They were both very easy going, easy to talk to, made us feel relaxed, etc. And one of them we met with in a Starbucks, but it was a nice experience and we were really very unaware of our surroundings since we were so into looking at her work!

we have actually sat down face to face and met with 6 or so photographers, so we have definately figured out the comfort level thing. Some people were just so nice and easy to talk to, while others had long ackward pauses, or looked at us like we were crazy or something! lol. so, that is definately GREAT advice to pass along, but we already did it...I was kind of hoping one would be a complete b*tch or really expensive so we would have an easier decision! lol. but, they werent!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

I like them both. They both seem very professional and the pics came out great! I think that no matter who you pick between those 2 photographers your pictures will come out great. So either way I don't think you will be disappointed. I know it's hard to pick but go with the one you really feel is the right one. What does your FH think? Would you mind telling me what their prices are? I am also looking for a photographer.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Let me start by saying that I have never met nor do I personally have prior knowledge of either of these photographers. If I had to choose betweent the two, I would pick Carrie. Given the opportunity, Carrie had some images that I thought were inspiring and I might try to emulate . Meanwhile, I just didn't have the same impression of the other photographer.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Look at it this way - the photographer is only going to put the best of the best of pics on their websites and blogs..... so there is one thought.

A second thought is that I have realized even "PJ-type" photographers seem to have a repetoire of standard shots they take at every wedding - which you can usually determine from looking at their portfolios. For example - meredith has a few of the wedding pew decoration shots with blurred bride&groon in the background. Carrie as a few "Shoe shots." Do you want those specific photos? Are you more into details and posed shots or do you prefer candid shots? Our photographer was very laid back and hands off which I liked - because the last thing I wanted to miss was half of the day while taking pictures. (I have heard from my own wedding planner of those photographers who admittedly have to get THE SHOT - ie the magazine shot - at every wedding, no matter how long it takes or how annoyed the B&G get).

Also, are the photographers using up-to-date equipment, are they associated with professional groups (Carrie has listed they are part of WPPI & PPA, there is also WPJA I believe), do they regulary attend confrences or seminars to learn new techniques? These are things that may help way t/w one photographer or another. Also, how do you get proofs? Do you have the option of buying proofs on DVD (we did and it was an awesome option) or are they just online/ in proof books? The proofs-on-DVD sold us as there was no way we could every pick just 100.

Lastly, I personally did not care for the lighting in Merediths - especially the sun glare and odd shadows in some of the photos.She seems to have better shots in natural lighting. Then again, Carrie's are a bit small and hard to look at.

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 8:24 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

cheeta...I sent you an email...

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Thanks Toast :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Angieh81 Posts : 16 Registered: 12/28/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

They are both very talented, but I would choose Meredith.

Her lighting, composition, and attention to detail in the photos is great.

~Angie

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: Angieh81

thanks for all your input! We have chosen one, and could not be happier!!!

thanks!

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Don't leave us in suspense.... who did you select?

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine