May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,379

BecBec Posts : 25 Registered: 12/26/06
Re: May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

Thanks for the advice about the mother/son dance and the memorial candle ladies. And you're so right being as close as I am I want everything done so I can just sit back and catch my breath before the big day.

And about that dress...I ordered mine from David's Bridal and got it in only 1 week, it fit exactly the same as the floor sample that I had tried on. It's hardly going to need any alterations at all. When I ordered it they told me it would take probably 4-8 weeks to come in, so I was shocked when they called me after a week to let me know that it was in. I've had great service from them the whole time, my BM's love working with them. My only problem is after my MOH and I got our dresses we ended up changing the wedding date and before my other girls could get in for theirs my coordinator stopped working there! No worries, there were plenty of other equally competant people working there too!

InnocentBeck

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: BecBec

I'm so sorry about everyone's lost loved ones. At least though there is a wedding to look forward to as a celebration of life.

DAS That totally sucks about your dress. I hope it works out.

We got our rings! I'm so excited! It's finally coming together! Today we're going to get him fitted for his tux and we decided to have his grandma make our cake. And this weekend we're going to our first session with our officant to work out the vows and ceremony and also have a counseling session. How is everyone else doing?

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

Puglover27 Posts : 103 Registered: 2/12/09
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

Stressed this wedding is costing us more than expected. My fiance works in the beer business so we had talked with our orginal contact, when we signed up for the venue ,that we would offer the guests free beer and since this venue buys from this beer company. Anyway per the contract which wasn't mentioned when we signed (our contact just wrote that we would supply our own kegs) there is a 17% charge for all alcohol payable the evening of the wedding. I didn't realize this surcharge was applying to us since we were supplying beer until I spoke to the owner of the venue (our contact no longer works there unfortunatley) and she said even though we are supplying the beer still 17% surcharge (basically we are able to provide the kegs at cost whereas normally the venue has to pay a little more to buy the beer etc).
Does that make any sense?
Anyway for the amount of the venue $5000 we really are not getting our money worth. All they do is set up the chairs, everything else we had to get separately-florist,etc. Our ceremony/reception is in the same room so that is stressing me out because I am not sure who will get this set up the way I want it before the reception.

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

Yay for the rings!!! I got mine in early December and FH ordered his at the same time. It should be in the store in a couple weeks :) Good checks!

I'm sorry the venue seems to be more than you planned? Do they provide catering or anything for the $5000, or is it just the rental fee, chairs, etc?

So, the dress appointment went soooo much better than I was expecting. Since Thursday I had been so worked up and pumping myself up to get ready to stand up for myself and get what I thought I was supposed to have! I'm not usually a very forward person, so I got all worked up and nervous, especially when driving there yesterday. But I met with the head seamstress and she got me zipped as much as she could, which was more than the last time, and measured everything out. The most they'll need to let it out is 4 1/2 inches....still more than expected but MUCH MUCH better than the supposed 8 the other woman said. I was sooo relieved! Some people still think that's a lot, and I do too, but I saw the seams and how much extra allowable room they have. It'll all work out.

I guess I'm relieved because I really do love my dress and I didn't want to have to start shopping all over again or purchase a sample gown that I didn't really want. I mean, it took me over 6 months to actually bite the bullet and order a dress so it'd be crazy to start over now! Plus, I thought it might be exciting to start over with a dress no one else in my family had seen yet, but when I put my dress on all I thought was "but I want this one!!" Haha :) I'm just happy that it's worked out. Some people are skeptical, but I did what needed to be done. Made sure no extra fabric was going to be added, that the overlay of net/lace was going to be ok, and that I didn't need to order a bigger size.

All in all, my boobs are to blame!! Jerks! The seamstress told me that we're trying to fit my bust and that's why the dress won't zip. If I were to order a dress to fit my bust then they'd have to do extreme alterations to take in the waist and hips. So, in the end even if she would've measured me, she would've had me order the 16 (which I did) or possibly the 18. But it all works out.

Now have to figure out hair...geez

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Yay I'm so glad to hear your dress worked out! What does your dress look like anyway? Pictures? I'm sure you'll figure out your hairstyle in no time

I'm also curious, what does the $5000 cover, and maybe I just missed it, but why isn't your original contract valid?

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

DAS- I saw on another thread that you ordered some shoes on endless.com, and I had some questions for you. Are they comfortable? Good quality? Are you able to ship them back if you don't like them? How is sizing, I'm leary ordering online cause you can't try them on, haha so I'm not sure what size I would need from there, but I found a pair I kind of like and just wanted to get your impression of the company and the shoes you bought! Thanks!

"Come What May... "

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

More - I do have some pictures, but I'm at work and there isn't an SD slot in this computer...I think I posted pictures once before from photobucket. I can post them now. They are from when I tried on the sample...it's Alfred Angelo 1807.

Dress1.jpg picture by shaunarae02
Dress2.jpg picture by shaunarae02

Dress4.jpg picture by shaunarae02

Dress3.jpg picture by shaunarae02

As you can see in the mirror (lol) the dress was too small, but you still get the general idea. I was planning on getting a dress with no train, but that changed :) I think it's a semi-cathedral length? Not sure. But since the first set of alterations should be done by next week I'll definitely take pictures then! I can't wait to see how well it fits! I just hope there is still the cinching in the waist so it's somewhat fitted.

Brooke - I ordered 2 pairs of TouchUps dyeables from endless.com. I think the fit will depend on the brand of shoe. I had seen many places where TouchUps run big, but I ordered both in an 8 1/2 and they fit pretty well. I would say just like an 8 1/2 should. I usually wear a 9 in sneakers, though. Shipping both ways is free. I was able to get free overnight shipping and they did come the next day, even in the middle of 8 inches of snow! Also, free return shipping is included if you don't like them. If you want to do that though, you need to go back to the website and print out a return address slip. Not difficult.
One pair I ordered definitely will be going back. The other I'm still not sure about. They do say it can take up to 4-6 weeks for refunds though. And I would say if you go with any other site make sure you read the return policy. There was one site...can't remember now, that said they do free shipping and return shipping, HOWEVER if you returned more than 2 things from an order they charge you a 20% fee for restocking.

Good luck!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

I'm also curious, what does the $5000 cover, and maybe I just missed it, but why isn't your original contract valid? It doesn't cover much - 6 hours of rental time, set up and clean up of facility.

The approval for the kegs was written on a receipt form so technically it wasn't on the contract?! I emailed the owner today to discuss meeting with her so we can go over exactly what we owe. It is our fault for not reading it cleary. I thought we had and I guess we assumed since we brought in the beer the 17% didn't apply. The owner hasn't emailed me back. I just wish our orignial coordinator was there because she is why we chose this place.Orginally we were going to use their caterer and their table settings, but I ended up chaning my mind so some of the receipt had costs that were not set in stone.

The tastng situation-. I went with my mom, bridesmaid, and my mom's bf to the tastng. It was held during someone else's wedding. We had to eat in the bridal suite which was really awkward because that is where everyone's purses and coats were at. We didn't want to interrupt the toasts etc. so we waited until the microphone was over with so we could sneak out when we were done eating. I told my fiance and he was really po'd because he was like there had better not be any strangers eating at our wedding. Well I contacted the owner and she apologized for note telling me we would be eating during a wedding. She said it wouldn't happen to us, but couples who plan a wedding in a short period of time have certain stipulations. The wedding that evening had been planned in a short amount of time thus the stipulation was people would be doing a tasting ?! Their caterer had good food, but just to make sure this didn't happen to us we chose Celebrations catering. Also, the cook came out in his greasy t-shirt which seemed a little unprofessional at a wedding. at least add a clean coat or apron.

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

Pug - Is it at least a larger venue? How big is your guest list? My perception is probably skewed because we are having a pretty small wedding by today's standards, about 65. We had our tasting during another wedding so that doesn't sound too weird to me, but we were in the kitchen and used a side door, we are having a buffet and the way it was explained to us is food tastes different when cooking for 100 than when they are only cooking for 2, which made sense to us. I would be very upset if our chef came out in a greasy shirt, it almost makes me mad just to think about it LOL.

That does suck about the misunderstanding with the contract, I hope it all works out OK for you.

DAS - I love your dress and you look great, even if it is too small, I bet you take FH breath away with it. Are you nervous at all about your fitting? I'm doing my first fitting March 5, which makes me nervous since it's going to be hard to maintain my weight from then on since it's always fluctuated a lot.

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

BeaBride0606 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/3/06
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

Thanks for the incite on the stamps, my deadline for RSVP's is the first and second week in May. I will have to make sure that I have Forever stamps for everything.

I have a situation at the moment, both my FH and Mother have decided to invite 50 extra people combined, which pretty much doubles our guest list, I reminded them we can not afford all these guest. But they both insist that they will not attend, they just want to send an invite out of respect.

Does anyone have thoughts or have dealt with this in already?

Thanks Ladies!!!!

MAY 31, 2009 Bride

Yea almost to the 100 day Countdown!!!!

Bea

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: BeaBride0606

I haven't personally dealt with it, but I wouldn't send an invitation to anyone and count on them not coming, people have changes in plans and unexpectedly decide to come all the time. Would your parents be satisfied with a wedding announcement sent instead of an invitation? I think that is the proper way to inform people that can't come, but I could be wrong.

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

I would say be careful of over inviting as well. I don't know why families think now is the time to invite peole you haven't spoken to in years.

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 4:03 AM Go to message in response to: DAS824

DAS~ I love your dress!! I am so glad that everything came out okay with it, because I know how scary it is when it doesn't fit!!

To the PP about inviting people: I would be leery. It sucks, but you pretty much have to plan on EVERYONE coming, just in case they do. Case in point: I have an aunt and uncle who live in Australia. I figured they wouldn't be able to make it, but they come home every 4 years and this was the year, so they planned it around the wedding. Things happen, and people could very easily show up whom you don't expect.

With you and I defying gravity, they'll never bring us down!

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

We went to Copper Fields today and spoke to the owner. She really worked with us and things turned out much better than planned. Fiance had warned me if there was going to be a lot of extra charges etc. to plan on him getting upset and walking out of the place. Luckily that didn't happen. So I am really happy things turned out.
I took fiance to Das Myer to taste test and see the cake design my mom and I liked. Fiance does not like tight spaces and of course being Sat. it was packed. He didn't like having to stand in line to pick out cake and then we had to stand and eat the cake while we waited for a table and then a group of three took a table even though they came in after us. No one came to ask us questions etc. I finally asked for assistance. I think the owner's wife helped us. We did order our cake from them. Fh didn't love the cake and I will admit it wasn't as good as the last time, but I figure it will be ok. FH said if I hadn't liked the place we wouldn't have bought a cake there. He thought their customer service was horrible. He said it bothered him that they could clearly see us, yet no one came to help us. If he had it his way he would have preferred a sample of cakes brought to us at a table and us getting one on one attention.

annakbella Posts : 13 Registered: 1/14/07
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

I am SO with you! I'm a little bit backwards though because we have been engaged since December of 06!! We had some scheduling and then health issues that made us move back the date from September 08 until May 09 and once we booked that date I was still so cautious that I barely did anything until this January! I am still SOO behind; we are waiting on the church, no florist, and of course with no church how can you send out invititations? We only just booked our caterer last week (lucky for us they are really good and still had some availability).

Every day I think of something new that I should have done already but haven't.

Does anyone have a theme for their wedding? I have my colors and such picked out but I keep thinking that it would be easier decorating if I had some underlying theme that could tie everything together.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine