Sell my wedding dress???

Online Users: 1,278 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

onemissa Posts : 320 Registered: 7/13/06
Sell my wedding dress???
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:22 PM

I have been married for about 2 years and now I am deciding whether you sell my dress or not. I'm not really sure what to do. It is still sitting in the closet waiting to be cleaned and preserved. (OK, so I've been alittle busy to take care of that.) I really haven't looked at it at all this past year. Shoud I sell it and make alittle money or spend more money to have it sitting in the closet some more? I love the thought that my future daughter might some day want to wear it, but let's be honest she will most likely want to have her own. Someone please help. I would love to hear from anyone that has sold their dress and how they felt afterward. Thanks in advance.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Re: Sell my wedding dress???
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

Onemissa - I'll tell you what, if it weren't for EH's cousin holding onto her dress all these years, I would have never have had a wedding dress! Okay, so maybe I would have found something else but I'm so happy the way it turned out. I was able to wear her dress AND make it my own. Her reasoning for keeping it was the same as yours. She wanted her daughter to wear it. Her daughter is 4 now and probably won't want to wear it by the time she gets married, or who knows what else. Either way, my vote is to keep it. Who knows? Someone close to you might end up wearing it, or even your daughter. A friend of mine ended up wearing her MIL's wedding dress....My vote: keep it.

Mrs. Pinky

vday.gif picture by jenny3_26_05

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

WinterBrideToBe Posts : 94 Registered: 11/8/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I say keep it. My grandmother saves EVERYTHING, she still has her mothers dress, her dress and my mom's dress, and although I did buy my own dress, she is going to make my grater and vail from pieces of their 3 dresses... Which will be my something old... And it will become something that I can then pass down to my daughter. Your daughter doesn't have to wear your exact dress, but she can use pieces of it, to add to her's to make it extra special. Keep it! :)
wedding countdown

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

Good question! I have mine sitting there too and I have 2 daughters and my oldest one has finally decided to wear my dress and her dress for the reception (in 2 years). And my youngest daughter claims she will NEVER get married. But even after that what to do with it???

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday! 

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

LOL, I got married just over 2 years ago, too, and I haven't had my wedding gown cleaned, either!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! It is currently in our storage unit and I haven't even looked at it since my wedding day. :) I am definitely keeping it, though, even though I have absolutely no hope of my future daughter ever wearing it.

The thing is, my mom rented her dress and I always wished she had bought it so that I could have seen it in person and not just in pictures. My grandmother, Nana, saved hers and HER mother's and I grew up admiring them and trying them on and I hope my FD would be sentimental about those kinds of things like I am. Also, with Nana's blessing I cut some of the fabric from her dress and had a friend make a beautiful little purse out of the material to use on my wedding day. I also used some of her fabric and a bit of lace from my great-grandmother's dress as my bouquet holder. I secured it all with a brooch from my other grandmother and both grandmothers were as proud as could be that they were kind of a part of my wedding in a way that nobody else was. :) Nana's dress was never going to be worn by anyone in the family (she was like a size 0 when she got married and I am, uh, not) and this was the perfect way to really use it. It is now an heirloom in a really unique way so perhaps my FD or future granddaughter will want to do something like that with my gown. Until then, though, it will sit in storage until I get around to taking it to the dry cleaners! lol

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Honestly... I still have my wedding dress from my first marriage.... 1995. My mom has her wedding dress. While I didn't wear hers or cut it up, did ask me to put it on...and which I felt was fair. She prefaced it with: "I'm sure you don't want to wear my dress, but I would like to see you in it." She was right -- I didn't like her dress, but still, what harm did it do me to put it on in her house? None -- and even if your daughter does not WEAR it, you can always have her put it on. My mom never let me try it on growing up (not that I wanted to: we have such different styles that I really didn't think it was pretty. She still loves it, and that is what is important -- mom loved and loved her dress, even 42 years later). But when we came over to announce our engagement, my mom pulled me aside and had me try on the dress. (Way too short for me <G>) And it got put back in the box -- it had its moment.

And I've never sold my first dress -- yes, I am superstitious.... it is a failed dress. I would not want to pass that on to some other bride (and how dumb is that? Hanging on to a dress from a failed marriage, taking up closet space <at mom's house....though she's not fussed> although, she might well have given it to someone at her church who needed a dress and didn't have money. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised G Actually, I hope she did that and it's not still hanging in the back of the closet in my dad's computer room (although, it's not as if anyone can actually access that closet anyway...he's got so much junk in front of the door he might as well not have a closet since he can't get to it<G>)

This dress? I don't know. I know I'm doing a TTD session. I'm thinking on donating to that BridesAgainstBreastCancer.org (they sell gently used wedding dresses to raise money to grant wishes to those dying of breast cancer) Either that or craigslisting it. Seriously -- I don't know.

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I am donating my to Brides against Cancer. I felst sooooooo beautiful in that dress and it was unique enough that I wore it and made it shine. If I can help another bride feel that and beat cancer at the same time...I am all for it.
Me, my honey and our kitties make 4.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

5in3 - I might have to look into that.

Here's the website for anyone interested.

http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: onemissa

Honestly, dress preservation is a big scam, so don't feel guilty for not doing it. The only reason to get your dress cleaned after the wedding is if it had stains on it. I looked at mine after our honeymoon and it didn't have any stains, so I put it back in its bag and put it in the closet. Anyway, the reason why I say dress preservation is a scam is because I am a museum curator and we do not store clothing in airtight boxes, and it holds up over time perfectly fine.

A couple tips, based on what I know about clothing preservation: if it's stored in a box, make sure the material is acid-free, as regular paper/cardboard has acid in it (from tree pulp) and it WILL seep out of the paper over time and burn whatever it touches. If possible, lay it flat rather than hanging it in a closet, so you put less stress on the material. Gravity's a bitch, when it comes to fabrics! Store it somewhere cool and dry, where the temperature is unlikely to fluxuate much. Obviously, don't store it someplace where it could be exposed to dust, mould, mildew, or rodents (attics and basements are a bad idea!) The ideal spot for it would be laying flat on the top shelf of a dark closet. Also, I would store it in a box/bag that blocks light rather than a clear one, as UV rays are harmful to it...however, if it's in a clear bag in a closet that's normally dark, it will probably be fine. I'd also recommend taking it out periodically to check on its condition, as it's better to catch any damage early. But there's no need to pay a dress preservation company when you can take some simple precautions yourself and probably preserve the dress better.

Ok, back to the original question! Like many of you, I haven't looked at it since the wedding, and I didn't even follow my own tips because I don't think I want to keep it forever. It seems silly to keep it for a daughter when I'm not certain I'll ever have a daughter, nor can I guarantee that she'll like/fit into/want to wear my dress if I do end up with one. My mom kept her dress for me or my sister...but we're both much taller (and generally bigger across the shoulders, etc) than her, so even if we wanted to wear a late-70s style wedding gown, neither of us could fit into it.

I love my wedding gown, but I'm obviously never going to wear it again. I could sell or donate it, but my dress can't be altered, so unless I found someone EXACTLY the same size as me, nobody else could wear it. So it seems a shame to donate/sell it if someone is just going to ruin it trying to get it altered...and then end up disappointed when it doesn't work. I also don't like the idea of saving it for a daughter. If I have a daughter, I hope she wants a dress that's her own style, not mine. I kind of like the idea of making it into a christening gown, so perhaps I'll do that. My mom will kill me, though! She insists that my dress is worth keeping forever. So right now, it's hanging in a closet. Eventually, I'll figure out something to do with it!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

My dress is hanging in my closet neither cleaned or preserved. lol Mine wasn't terribly expensive so I don't feel really bad, plus I kinda skimped on some alterations costs days before the wedding (I tried it on teh week ahead of hte wedding and I had gained a bit in the waist. EEP!) and now it doesn't lay completely flat anymore. <sigh> Also, I went in to a very dusty VERY dirty old train station to do some day-after photos and now it's dirty too. It would probably come out when it's cleaned, but I really don't want to pay to clean it since I'm not going to be wearing it or preserving it. I think I'll just end up donating it to the salvation army. lol

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I really wanted to have christening gowns made, but apparently DH's family has a gown that every one for generations has been christened in. So, I'll probably have really nice blankets made to wrap my children in at their christening and for photos when they're young. I could also save the material and use it in their outfits for first communion (use the silk for a tie for boys and/or the silk and lace for girls' dresses).
Then there is the traditional idea that my daughter might like to use the material from my dress in part of her dress, or have mine altered to fit her style. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm not at all opposed to cutting it up.

PS. I've also been married over 2 years and have not had my dress cleaned or preserved. It's in my closet. Lucky for me it was a sheath so it doesn't take up any more room than any other garment.

{color:#ff0099}You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~ Sam Keen

{color}

luckymebride Posts : 125 Registered: 12/7/08
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I would definitely get my wedding gown cleaned and preserved since is a very special life time memory and I think it would be fun to bust it out one day to show your daughter, daughter-in-law, grand-daughters...son...etc. :) I would love that when I reach to 100 years-old and show off on how I used to be able to fit in that gown. hehe

wedding web site

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: luckymebride

Luckymebride, you should read my previous post on dress preservation. It's a scam. I am a museum curator and I'm telling you right now that none of their 'preservation' processes are necessary to preserve a dress over time. Just follow my advice in my previous post and your dress will be fine.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

JBM Posts : 2 Registered: 2/18/09
Posted: May 14, 2009 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

The Green Hanger Shop can help you sell it and any other wedding dresses like bridesmaids

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine