Where Would You Live?

Online Users: 1,306 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Where Would You Live?
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

While some would say we already live in paradise (beautiful beaches 15 minutes away, snow skiing only 2 hrs away) my husband and I have discussed retirement and definitely decided we won't be retiring here in beautiful Southern California. We have about 15-18 yrs before retirement and then we're off to either TX, OK, or AR where we will be closer to family. Most likely, I see our golden years being spent in Texas near my brother and sister. Location is still undetermined but one thing's for sure, we'd like to live somewhere on a lake.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hey ladies!

Wow some interesting places. Although I don't know about the boat! (Art, do you mean like a yacht?) I have a fear of boats and the water. (Side note: I had a psychic once tell me that in a previous life I went down on the Titanic in 1912! She didn't know my birthday is April 15! That was spooky!). Anywho, you'd have to sail to land to get a Big Mac!

LisaSummer-I've heard Colorado is beautiful and some day I'll get out to visit my brother and his family in Colorado Springs.

Hmm..Paris? I wonder what how my lifestyle would change?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

OK seriously, I wouldn't want to be too far from my family so Richmond VA is about as far South as I'd go and DH doesn't want to be too far from his so about Philly is as far North.

Somewhat limiting. But it is what it is.

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I love where I live in So. Cal-it's rural, while still near the city, andI really don't think we will move, but if I could, I would love to live in the Calistoga area (Napa Valley)of No Cal. It's so beautiful! But I also love being able to walk to the top of our hill and see the ocean. Actually, if my kids have kids, I would go where they are.

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

I don't know where I would live. I really love Chicago, but not when I have car and I wouldn't want to raise kids IN the city, so I really love our suburb of Chicago too. We are right by a ton of stuff, and it is really really easy to get into the city. I really hate when it is brutally cold, but I love the distance we are from family, not too close and not too far. So maybe I would do the thing I would live January and February and early March in the South (or St. Lucia it was soooooooooooooooooooo gorgeous there and what we paid for our condo would by a mansion) and then live the rest of the year in our little suburb of Chicago.
Me, my honey and our kitties make 4.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

luv-Does the thought of earthquakes ever scare you? That would play a huge factor for me. I hate that they're predicting a huge eartquake for California.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art, of course you can join me. When I went to the Louvre I only had one day so we had to pick what we wanted to see, which is the usual--Mona Lisa, some Michelangelo's, Venus de Milo, the renaissance hall (i think thats what its called leading up to the Mona Lisa) And some Egyptian stuff as well since I am an Egypt freak-o.

But if I lived there, I'd probably visit one section each weekend day til I saw everything. Then I'd just sit on the grounds and chill out. I think my life would be completely different and definitley less stressful.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I love the paris idea! but I think I'd rather live close to the Musee d'Orsay - my favorite museum in the entire world!! I could spend DAYS there. It's such a cool building, and the art is incredible. Paris would be such a cool place to live, but I'd need an unlimited wardrobe budget :)

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Linda Jo,
They've been predicting a huge CA earthquake for as long as I can remember. In the area that Luv and I live, we don't really get earthquakes that bad. Yeah, we can feel them but they're not strong enough to tear down houses. The last "big" one that I remember that did a ton of damage was in 1994. Even then, it was positioned pretty far north so all I felt were the tremors. It just depends on where in CA you live. Everyone associates CA with earthquakes but the entire state doesn't always feel them.

It's like someone saying "Well, I'm afraid to live in KS because of the tornadoes". That's just silly.

Besides, Mother Nature is everywhere and I refuse to live my life in fear of her.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 9:07 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

You live with the knowledge that earthquakes could happen, but you don't let it run your life. I was in the center of the Whittier one in 87, and my TV went flying and the fridge tipped over. It was really scary. But I guess it's the price of living here. We don't have the sleet and snow that you do (except in the mountains) or the hurricanes that the South has, or the tornados that the midwest has.

-Funny earthquake story- That's how I got my daughter. My pharmacy went down (literally) and I couldn't pick up a refill for my bc- so we tried to use alt. bc- but after halloween party we let it ride...and I ended up preggers just like that!

Oh- and I LOVE PARIS!!! I spent a week with the impressionist paintings. Fell in love with Renoir! And the Musee Cluny's tapestries are awesome!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 9:09 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I lived in Huan Germany for 2 1/2 years. I loved it! I would love to go back.

Living in Vegas is great though, it has it's benifits, for one; stores are open longer and somthing is always open 24-7. I know it's a desert but I like the heat before cold any day. One thing I absolutly hate here are the out of town drivers!

James wants to move to Idaho---uh-NO thanks. I don't want to move away from my kids, and the thought of leaving my granddaughter kills me.

So I'd like to stay here.

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday! 

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I'm boring - I want to retire either a) right where I live now, which is where I lived all of my life, or b) where my (hypothetical) grandchildren live.

I am incapable of even possessing the thought of moving away from family. If I was...maybe Eastern Canada...like PEI!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Tobi-You have a good attitude about earthquakes. I guess I would too if I had grown up there.

luv-That would have scared me out of my wits!

nanette-I've oftened wondered what it would be like just to visit Vegas!

Birdie-I'm like you-I wanna stay home near where I grew up, even though there's nobody left in my family around here...

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I think if I could have the alternate universe I would choose to not live in any one place too long. I love experiencing new places, people and cultures, and I've learned that it's even super different from one end of hte US to the other. I grew up in teh Pacific North-west and it's absolutely my first love, so in my perfect world I would own a condo there that I would keep up all the time so I could go home for long stretches and not worry about inconveniencing my family. I would love to see everywhere. I love playing travel agent when I'm bored and just do research on new places to go and see. I want to see south america and Russia and australia and europe and the mid-east, and africa (Katheryn!). Oh, and I want to visit China and Japan. And really, when I say "see" or "visit" it means I want to be there for long enough to get a feel for the language and the people and the customs, not just show up for two weeks and take pictures, ya know? Though that's probably what I'll end up doing. I just think there is so much knowledge that people everywhere have and there's so much mind-expansion that can happen with travel. I would make it my #1 hobby if I had the money. Right now the name of the game is to get through school. lol Not much of a hobby... heeh

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I think FH and I are moving to Indiana but I would really REALLY LOVE to live in Maine, Western Mass., or in Vermont. If I lived in any of those three states I think I would be my happiest and I'd be closer to my uncle in Bethel. The only reason we aren't moving to any of those three states is because neither one of us finished college and we'd probably never find a good enough paying job to live in a house up there. FH's brother lives out in IN and there are some pretty good paying jobs out there that we'd be able to work. My heart is in New England though.

wedding count down

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine