May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)

Online Users: 1,320 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,379

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Re: May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Wow, that's awful. I will keep you in my prayers. I know how hard just having one person looking for a job can be (FH didn't find a job for about a year after he graduated with his masters.) so I can't even imagine how scary it is with neither one having a job. Good luck to both of you.

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Thanks girls for all your support! We've been searching like crazy and applying at places, but nothing big yet. FH does have an interview in Tampa, FL on Thursday, but it's not for a position, just for a chance that maybe someday something will open up. So it's a foot in the door.
On a high note, we registered yesterday! Those little guns are fun!!! :)

"Come What May... "

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke, I'm glad to see that you are keeping a positive outlook on things. That's probably the best and least stressful way to deal with it. And yay for the registering! We haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking it'll be fun. Where did you register?

This weekend a couple bigger things were accomplished...woohoo!! Things are starting to come together at least somewhat, haha :) I finished asking my bridesmaids. I went ahead and asked the 3 other girls I wanted to ask, however, there's a slight problem with one of them. I invited the 3 of them to dinner Friday night. Only 2 were able to show up, so I asked them. They were super excited even though it's kinda short notice...I know, I know. The 3rd girl couldn't make it so I just asked her over the phone. She was excited too, however, she was unable to look at dresses until sometime later this week. We're already pretty late in ordering them, so I told her I'd see what we could do. The other 2 girls and I went to check out dresses yesterday like we planned. We were there about an hour and half and they found awesome dresses! I asked the woman about ordering times and she said if we ordered yesterday they'd be in about mid-April. YIKES! I don't know if that's a big deal or not, but it gives about a month for alterations for all the girls. I then informed her that I had another girl that might need a dress...but if we waited to order, even at the end of the week, it could push back shipping by 2 weeks, meaning end of April, beginning of May. Plus the whole color difference thing (is that really a big deal?). So I just bit the bullet and we ordered the 4 definite dresses yesterday!!! I'll figure out something with the 5th girl...

But BM dresses are ordered!!! WOOHOOO!!!!! I'm the world's worst procrastinator. Geez! But it's done. All paid for and done! Now the only thing will be getting alterations and sashes made for the dresses.

And the musician I've been trying to get ahold of finally called and I think he's a go :) He sounds really nice and awesome and only charges $100, a definite steal! He's a violinist and could either play alone, with a CD of piano accompaniment, or with his wife who plays the flute (she's another $100). After we get a better idea of how the ceremony is going to take place, they'll play some music for us. But from the great recommendations he's had, plus having played at over 3,000 weddings since the late 90's, I'm grabbing him while I can! So yay for ceremony musicians too!

Now I really have to find an officiant! Today's plan - CALL MORE!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

yikes, late April would really scare me! I would have that girl ordering a dress ASAP, but maybe she can just give you her measurements? I am a bit of an over-planner myself though, so that would really be bothering me!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Late April definitely freaked me out too. I actually talked with the 5th girl today and told her the whole story and how with alterations and later shipping things just might not work out. She didn't seem too upset about it and said maybe it's better for her that way because she doesn't have much extra money to put towards wedding stuff. So she'll be around the day of the wedding and at the shower/bachelorette party, just like the other girls. Just less responsibility.

It all worked out. And I'm totally stoked about having the dresses ordered!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 8:18 AM Go to message in response to: DAS824

DAS - I'm gald you got your bridesmaid situation straightened out! It can be very stressful having to coordinate all those people! I know I had some challenges with it, lol!

I'm so excited, we are going with FIL's this weekend to check out rehearsal dinner places! Should be fun!

preview photopreview image

preview image

autumntw Posts : 3 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

Hi! Is it too late for me to join? My fiance and I got engaged on October 16th, and we're getting married on May 16th :)

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: autumntw

Of course it's not to late for you to join! Congratulations! I can't imagine how quickly you had to jump into planning with your short engagement! FH and I got engaged March 13th, 2008 and are getting married May 2nd, 2009, and I still feel like I haven't had enough time. What have you gotten done? If you have your dress, your bridesmaid dresses, etc, we love to see pictures!!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: autumntw

Congratulations and welcome! I'm with Mobride I can't imagine how organized you have to be to plan a wedding so quickly! We're here to help. What are you working on now?

preview photopreview image

preview image

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: autumntw

Autumn!! Welcome and congratulations!!! We're getting married on the same day!!! How are you doing your wedding? What all do you have done? I hope all is going well for you! Isn't it exciting- less than 4 months away!!

Well girls, still applying for jobs, haven't heard anything back from them yet. Hopefully soon. FH is in Tampa Florida today interviewing for the Tampa Bay Lightning (hockey) so we'll see what comes of that. We would both prefer to stay here in Ohio closer to family- especially before the wedding. But we'll see what happens. Thanks again for prayers and support- I'll keep you updated!

Hope all is going well for everyone!! Oh! I got my passport yesterday- they have to mail it, but yay! Now I can get back in the country after the honeymoon! haha

"Come What May... "

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Welcome, Autumn! This is a great group of ladies for help and support, so I'm glad you're here! I'm with everyone else in wondering and in being amazed at how organized you must be. I've been engaged for over 2 years and we're still just now figuring things out! Yikes!

Good luck with everything!

BellaBeautifulB... Posts : 78 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

July 2009 bride checking in!! My wedding is going to be on July 18th I can't wait and am very excited. I got engaged on November 17th 2007 and it's so nice to finally see all the 09 brides!

We decided to wait till 09 b/c we couldn't get a date for 2008 at my church. At times it seemed verrry long, but I am so happy we decided to wait for 2009. I wanted to get married during the summer and 6-8 months just didn't seem like it wouldv'e been enough time for me. My best friend got married in July of 2007 and she only had 7 months to plan. As her MOH we had a verry busy schedule and had to pick everything right away. So with all the time I have had I do have a lot planned. We have all the big things picked out and are starting on the smaller details. Right now we're picking out invitations and next month we are going to register. I can't believe January is just about over...time is flying!!

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypath Wedding Ticker

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

Okay, I just have to point this out. As of today, I have 100 days till the wedding!!! Yay super Yay!!

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

MoBride!! YAY!!! Now you'll only be in double digit countdown!!!! :)

"Come What May... "

nightowl89 Posts : 44 Registered: 7/23/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

My God, looks like there have been some problems with people lately, and I feel a little bad about adding to it, but this is awful. It's not entirely wedding related, but it has to do with it indirectly.

The okay news before I start is that I'm really ahead here. I have two things left to do and then I'll be done with immediate planning until March. I don't plan to blow it off. There's still a lot to do, but it's a bit of a relief not to have all this stuff pressing down on me immediately with school and all. I'll have more time to focus on my studies and getting ready for Field Training this summer.

Speaking of studies, that leads me into the not so good news. I am in a bad position money-wise, and it's a little worrying. Okay, more than a little worrying. I love going to OU and majoring in what I love, but it's just so expensive. Between books and everything else, I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to pay for this semester. I have literally cried myself to sleep over this because like I said, I love this school, I love this town, I love the people here, I even love my puny job at Wendy's and being an astrophysics major. This is what I love and this is what I want but I don't know what I'm going to do. Besides school, this affects everything in my life. I know it's a given that college students have no money, but it's never meant in this literal of a sense. I keep trying not to worry about it, but it's just so scary. I keep hoping that I'll get this ROTC scholarship because if I don't I don't know how I'm going to pay for another semester, especially since I don't even know about this one.

Besides education, there are things such as housing for next year. I won't be living on campus next semester and I need to find a good place to live with FH by the summer. On top of that, FH will need to find a job when he moves to the US in August--heck, he needs to get the money to even get here in the first place! Things are pretty bad here, but they're even worse in the UK, and FH is definitely feeling the effects. This means that we may have quite a few problems with paying for the ceremony in November.

I haven't this stressed about so many things since I started applying to colleges as a senior in high school. Money problems, moving problems, and then added textbook problems, car troubles, and the terrifying thought of failing college...it's just too much. I must be insane to do this! I think I really REALLY need some stress relief!

wedding countdown

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine