Slim Fitted A-Line or Ballgown?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

decemberbride2008 Posts : 4 Registered: 9/4/07
Slim Fitted A-Line or Ballgown?
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 9:20 PM

I'm in a dilemma. I am in love with Maggie Sottero's Rhianna Royale. I like it because it is different, unique, and shows off my figure. However, I'm getting married in December in a grand ballroom that has two majestic staircases which I will be walking down one, floor to ceiling windows on two walls, and many chandeliers. My problem is I feel I need a more grand gown. So I am looking at Eve of Milady's E35. Also, I want the train to be longer on the Rhianna Royale and the total is way more than what I want to pay for it. Therefore, I am considering getting the Eve of Milday ballgown made by Julius Bridal in silk satin for way less. I want to feel like a princess with the Eve of Milday gown which is more for my money, but I want to be different too with the Rhianna Royale.

Eve of Milady

http://www.efashioncentral.com/celestialbrides/detail.php?ProdId=181852&CatId=4521&Page=CatOv

Rhianna Royale

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=rhianna+royale&line=m&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=8&style=S5094HP

Which one?

coliebrian1 Posts : 75 Registered: 8/17/07
Re: Slim Fitted A-Line or Ballgown?
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

I LOVE both!! I think I like the a line better it's gorgeous!! I don't think it matters because they're both beautiful as far as how grand the dress.  I would say go with whichever you like better.

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

If you really want the Eve ballgown, go for it, but I really think the Maggie will be grand enough if that's the one you love.  It's very ornate and has some fullness, no one will think you look underdressed!

Jen415 Posts : 255 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

Have you tried on both these dresses?  If not, I'd suggest trying them on, or at least dresses with similar styling and features.  Both gowns are stunning...but I would be worried about being "swallowed up" by the Eve dress.  I want to wear the dress...I don't want the dress to wear me.

But really, both gowns are gorgeous and I think either would fit your ceremony site.

Good luck!

May 24, 2008
Daisypath Ticker

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

I agree that both gowns are grand and that you should go with the one that you feel best in. I personally am not a fan of satin dresses with embroidery, so the Eve of Milady one turns me off, but I do really like the Rhianna Royale gown. If I were you, I'd keep looking because it sounds like you really like the Rhianna Royale, but the price tag hurts. Maybe you can find a dress similar to it that costs less.

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

Both dresses are beautiful and grand in their own way!  You have a difficult decision to make!  Have you been able to try on either gown?  Remember that the ballgown will get heavy and difficult to move in (I know bc I'm also wearing a ballgown, but I will also be wearing a second dress).  The Maggie dress is grand, but just doesn't have the ballgown dress...the details of the dress make it grand.

AlohaAroha Posts : 686 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

I would go with the Rhianna.  The Eve may be bigger, but it looks just like a hundred other bridal dresses I have seen lately.  The Rhianna is distinctive, and you could wear it with a cathedral length veil for the long train look you want.

You might try to see if you can get it as a sample to save money.

decemberbride2008 Posts : 4 Registered: 9/4/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I have thought about everything that was mentioned in this post.  I thank you all for your comments.  It seems like I am leaning more torwards the Rhianna Royale because it is unique and I like it more.  Also, after reading some of your posts, I realize I don't have to wear a ballgown to feel grand.  Lastly, I think the Eve of Milady dress is too big too get around in.

Ashleyanne2010 Posts : 447 Registered: 5/3/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

I tried on the rhianna royale and it is SO my dress!!! Like a pp said, you can do a cathedral length veil to make it even more dramatic and give it some length behind you. I am ordering a cathedral length veil that has the same color cord around the edges and no sparkles or anything- I think the dress has enough of that!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Ashleyanne2010

I definitely like the Rhianna better. My dress is a Maggie also and it fits amazing. I love her dresses. And for the venue you described I think it's absolutely grand enough!

preview photopreview image

preview image

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:06 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't really care of the Rhianna at all. I think it looks kinda... funky. I think all those weird flowers plastered all over it take away from the over all elegant lines of the dress and are just sorta ick to me. I don't mean to insult everyone, it's just one person's opinion. There must be a third option though, maggie has tons of dresses that are a little bit different and still very dressy. How about ordering a maggie in a colour like champagne or the super light blue that she does (depending on yoru colouring of course). That would certainly be a little bit different twist!
Something like this dress is very different and classy: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?pageSize=96&style=ASM3297

or something like this one has a pretty detail on it without being so.. in your face about ti I guess...
http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?line=m&style=A3266

I understand that you don't want to look like every other bride, because no bride wants that. But at the same time, I think that it's important to be sure that our wedding photos don't date us too much. In my opinion, a dress like the Rhianna wouldn't look good in picture 20 years from now.

Again, just my opinion. :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

My dress weighed 7 pounds and at the end of the night, I was dying to take it off... lol... I think you said you were gonna go with the Maggie but I think Mary's Bridal makes very elaborate dresses similiar to Eve of Milady for less $.

Personally, I think the Maggie gown is more suited for a garden theme, but I like the uniqueness of it. There is this one dress named "Gatsby" on the main page that gives a very glam look and isn't poofy at all either (it just caught my eye).

Jaime

Wedding Pictures & Furbabies:

http:\\web.me.com\me182a

Edited by: mrsJLA on Jan 21, 2009 5:20 PM

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I kind of thought the same thing Nala until I looked at the Maggie brides links on the page, you know with the pictures of real life brides wearing it. I thought it looked completely different on a real person. I think 90% of what determines whether a dress looks good or not is the girl wearing it. This goes back to everyones reccommendation to go try the dress on before you get set on it being "THE" dress.

preview photopreview image

preview image

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

I think you could do the a line, and get the glorious train by using a veil. You clearly are only leaning towards a ballgown not because that is what you WANT but because you feel your venue demands a grander gown.

YOU are the main event <G>.... so get the dress of your dreams -- and let the venue try to be as amazing and as grand as you!

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

BrideFusion Posts : 6 Registered: 2/28/09
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: decemberbride2008

If you have a killer body, go with A-Line for sure, show off your figure!!! A-line is in, is modern, is edgy, way to go

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine