Dress up for rehersal?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

HollySunshine Posts : 34 Registered: 9/28/08
Dress up for rehersal?
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 2:53 PM

My mother seems to think that I need to buy a nice dress for the rehersal/rehersal dinner.

Does anyone agree? Is this what you're suppose to do?

Let me know! Thanks!

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Re: Dress up for rehersal?
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

I'm doing jeans - but then again our whole wedding is casual with friends and family

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

It depends on what kind of party you're having. If theRD is right after therehearsal itself, then dress for your party. If that's a backyard barbecue, pizza at the bowling alley, etc., then dress for that. If it's dinner ata nice restaurant, then dress up. If the rehearsal is at a different time entirely, then you can wear whatever you want.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

HollySunshine Posts : 34 Registered: 9/28/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

I was thinking just jeans as well. But I am now thinking a white dress. I dont know. It's the summer and i'm sure I can find some cute summer dresse and what not. And Davids Bridal has some cute dresses I wouldnt mind taking for honeymoon also!

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

This is just my opinion. Even if you are having just a BBQ or something after the rehearsal, I think you should atleast dress up a little for the actual rehearsal (especially if it is in a church). Its okay if you don't want to wear a dress, but I'd at least wear a nice pair of dress pants. If you are having something as fun and casual as a BBQ afterwards, its okay to change into something more comfy.

I plan to wear a dress to my RD, not a white one (as I'll be in white the next day and plan to wear a white dress for my shower).

wedding widget

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

I wore blue jeans and a tshirt. We were going to be decorating that night as well, and I knew I would be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, and I was not wearing a dress. Besides, I, personally, have never seen a reason to dress up for them. But then again, I've never been to one where people have dressed up. I don't think its that common in my area. What is common in your area?

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

I agree that it really depends upon what is normal for your area. For example, here the photographer normally comes to the rehearsal & RD

wedding widget

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

My bridesmaids and I were thinking of doing something fun and having a bad prom dress theme and all go to a thrift store or something and see who can find the ugliest dress.

preview photopreview image

preview image

BellaBeautifulB... Posts : 78 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

Personally I think this is an occasion that you should dress up for. It's your time and it's also special. I myself am going to wear a summery strapless white dress. Nothing overly formal...leave that for the next day .

Your right Holly~ the dress would be perfect to bring on your honeymoon. I have a few cute dresses I am going to wear to my bridal showers and the one I will wear to my rehearsal to bring on my honeymoon. They will be perfect for both.

Of course, you should always feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable in a dress I would still opt for something more dressed up like a skirt or black pants.

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypath Wedding Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

We had a nice dinner at a local restaurant, so I got a dress.

If you are having a back yard BBQ, I would not have a dress or do a simple summer dress if the timing is appropriate.

I think it depends on how formal the dinner is. I could see a nice pair of slacks and a dressy top appropriate though too for the dinner we had. :-)

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm wearing a white dress to my shower and I bought a colorful dress for the rehearsal dinner. I personally always feel it's better to be the most dressed up then the least, especially if everyone is there for you! Depends on your area though.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:54 AM Go to message in response to: HollySunshine

Dear Holly,

What would you wear if this were a birthday dinner for your father taking place in the same location?

A new dress? Something you already have?

Do the same here.

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

You have received some great advice. Personally I was raised that you always dress nicely to go to a church. No Jeans in church (this was the one rule of my father's that he would not budge on). So I would probably wear appropriate dress to church.

The RD is a little more loose. Everyone I was with dressed up, but I think that is more because my MIL went all out on an RD. That and here where I am, you have just always dressed up for the RD. However, if I'd had my way, we would have had pizza by the pool for the rehearsal dinner. Then I would have worn my swimsuit. (He he he).
Me, my honey and our kitties make 4.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine