Valentine's Day.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

princessMel Posts : 2 Registered: 6/17/08
Valentine's Day.
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:06 PM

Yes...I am aware that Valentine's day is around a month away! I have been pondering gift ideas, and haven't come up with the perfect one yet for my FH. Any ideas? Or, what are your thoughts on Valentine's day in general...?

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Re: Valentine's Day.
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:25 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

I'm shocked that Vday is actually falling on a Saturday. However, I'm sure FH & I will both be knee deep in studying and we will neither have time to do anything too special. We'll maybe go eat or something.

wedding widget

sjhc132 Posts : 164 Registered: 3/18/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

valentines day is a busy time for us...my hubbys birthday is the next day,our dating anniversary is a couple days before and actually my bestfriends bday is on valentines day...last year i pretty much lost my job and all hopes of at least collecting unemployment on valentines day so it was a pretty bad day for me but my then b/f comes home bearing flowers chocolate and an absolutely beautiful necklace...needless to say it turned my frown upside down...but this year im thinking about making reservations for friday at an awesome restaurant and then maybe if i have enough afterwards renting a room at a local bnb....i know it sounds cliche but we havent been able to some much since moneys been super duper tight lately i thought it might be nice to get out for the night:)

i was meant for him and he was meant for me :)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: princessMel

We'll probably do whatever we normally do on a Sat. Honestly, we never celebrate Valentine's Day. We're one of those couples who thinks it's a pretty lame holiday. Sorry, Hallmark, but we don't need a mid-Feb reminder to appreciate one another.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: princessMel

Well we're gonna drive 2 hours in the snow to get to the Buffalo, NY airport and fly out (First class! yay!) too CA to see his parents since I have a week off school. Not too romantic!

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

I don't know what I'm getting my FH either. He's ipod his acting up and our phones are very old. He was saying that he want's to check the new blackberry from Spint. Maybe I'll get him one of them.

Last yr I made dinner for Vday and mess up the whole thing, well kind of. I forgot to open the vent from the fireplace and my apt had a lot of smoke. Thankfully he were able to opened it. I burned out one of the side dishes and instead of having sweet potato with cinnamon, we had cinnamon with sweet potato. We laughed so much about it and had a good time anyway. This yr I want to go out for dinner even after my cooking skills have improve, lol.

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

I really don't like Valentine's Day either- I think it is a forced Hallmark Day. But we have solved that by celebrating our love for each other on the Feb. 12th which is the day we met. That I'm happy with celebrating, and the restaurants are not packed that day. So it works out. But since I'm broke it will probably just be dinner.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

We haven't been to the movies in a while, so I told him that I wanted to go the movies for VDay. We're really not into the mushy gushy stuff.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

It sucks it's on a saturday this year, as DH works 5-10pm on saturdays, but he said he'd take the day off so we can go out. We'll probably dress up nice go out to dinner and a movie im guessing. i haven't decided what to get him yet - we put a $40 limit on what to get, as we just had the wedding a few months ago.

Honestly, I'm not looking too forward to it though - it's the 1 year anniversary of the shooting that happened at my aluma mater and i still lived down there when it happened as i had graduated 2 months prior, so im sure everyone i know is going to be remembering what happened last year =/

It's also my in-law's 25th anniversary too - DH and i and his 2 bros who have jobs are all pitching in to book them a romantic getaway at this place nearby - they have this country themed room with a hot tub in it - some of the more expensive rooms have a fullsize pool in them and some even have a waterfall! we're booking it for the day after their anniversary though, as the price was double on valentine's day! we're also giving them $50 for a nice dinner together and money for gas to get there and back.

Friends since December 1997
Together since December 2006

September 13, 2008
Legally, I became his and he became mine.

HollySunshine Posts : 34 Registered: 9/28/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

Oh FH is a real charmer. LOL NOT! He told me the other day that he picked out what hes gonna get me. I finally got it out of him since I HATE surprises! LOL. He's getting me a hoodie he said. I was like oh is it that hunting hoodie you said you wanted? And he's like nooo but I wouldnt mind having this hoodie either, and yeah its a different hunting hoodie. Okay well first of all I DONT HUNT! LOL. And second of all we always share hoodies since he's around the same size as I am. That butt head is getting me a cute hoodie so he can wear it too! LOL. So I just said that i'd split the cost with him since the damn thing is like $80. Thats probably all we will be really doing is looking in the mail for that, and maybe dinner and a movie.

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

Well I'm kindda spoiled, and I start getting gifts a month early, and I just love it! So this Valentine's is our first as newlyweds and I'm going all out for my husband, flowers, candy, the biggest bears, a wonderful night out on the town is what I have planned for us.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

I don't do Valentine's Day. My husband has had flowers delivered to me at the office in the past and I told him to stop wasting his money. They sit there for a day or two and just die. Why waste 50+ bucks? I think it's a lame holiday and just another excuse for jacked up prices. Besides, I don't need a special holiday to know that he loves me and I him.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Carribbean, DH and I are the same. I think our first V-day together we exchanged gifts but we haven't since then. Maybe we would cook dinner, but mostly it's just a regular day. This year we have friends coming to visit that weekend so we are going to take them into Philly for the day and bum around....weather permitting. If they don't come to visit then it will be a regular Saturday!

I think I missed the memo about Valentine's Day or something....I never get it.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: princessMel

Bummer for all of you who really dont like Valentines Day, I guess it is a cheesy "holiday". I've always liked it, maybe because it's my BRITHDAY. The only thing I hated when I as a kid, everything was Valentines stuff and not birthday. But oh well I guess that's why I love pink so much. lol

James bought me a NEW CAR for my 40th Birthday/Valentines Day! I can't beat that! He's been wanting a new Laptop and my son rebuilds them for a living and I can get a great deal so I think I will just do that for him.

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Yeah Nannette! Our BIRTHDAYS!!!! What a great gift btw!!! I hope I get a new car when I'm 40! lol...This year I think Richard's trying to plan a surprise party for me. He tried last year too and it just didn't work out. He's not good a keeping secrets and I hate surprises soooooooo we always ruin it. I'd really like to go to this one resturant we went to on our honeymoon down by the beach but I doubt it'll happen. Or maybe this chinese buffet place I like that we never go to.....we'll see. I told my mom I want a dresser but I doubt I'm getting that. I have no idea if I'll get anything. I might be buying myself some chocolates. lol j/k. I plan to get Richard this VS cologne I fell in love with over Xmas.

Mrs. Pinky

vday.gif picture by jenny3_26_05

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine