The waiting game is not for type A women!

Online Users: 1,248 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 47

digwriter Posts : 25 Registered: 12/19/08
Re: Update: Getting suspicious!
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Hi there Cambria and PrincessDee. Nice to meet you both.

So my fellow Type A's and all other ladies in waiting. What do you say we take our minds off of the impending "big question" and turn them to the marriage-minded girl's best friend ie, the spreadsheet!

Ahhhh the spreadsheet. Funny, in my professional life Excel is the last thing I'd ever go near, but when it came time to planning the big day...oh mama, you take away my spreadsheet and it's all over. I'd say I have a fairly basic mix of sheets in my workbook, complete with cover page (ok LL totaly mocked my cover page, but I'm a creative girl, I can't help myself).

I've got two budget breakdowns (high and low), vendor lists, florists, an idea log, a websites of interest log, 1st draft guest list, songs I want played, and one sheet the deals exclusively with the ultimate object of my desire (excluding LL of course) -my TREATS BUFFET -it's not just about candy anymore lol!

So tell me about your spreadsheets? Got one? Want one? How many sheets in your book?

VivaLasVegasBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/9/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Ooh I love spreadsheets! I'm an organizational nerd in the worst way. I have my wedding planner book (which FH gave me, to feed my type A needs, lol), I also have online spreadsheets, and even some in Excel and MS Works.

To begin with I have my budget breakdown with a "high to low" range in each category, a vendor list (and in my favorites list I have my vendors' websites), a start on the guest list, a start on the song list, and an idea log. I also started saving pics that I found online that give me ideas on flowers, favors, and decorations.

For Christmas, FH got me a subscription to Brides and Modern Bride, and I've found that color coded tabs help with certain articles I like, dresses I'd like to try on, ideas that intrigue me, etc.

FH makes fun of my organization and yet he says he is also awed by it.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

I'm in a holding pattern when it comes to planning binders and mags. I'm waiting till I get the ring. The second that happens I will get myself to the nearest bookstore and by out every mag on the shelf...as for the planner, we've got a bridal show coming up here this weekend and they're giving planners away at entry...

...Wait, let me correct that -it's a "Wedding Show". There was a Bridal Show last week and LL's feeble excuse for not going was that it was a "Bridal Show" and therefor for brides only. He knew that was total garbage, of course, but I relented nevertheless. However, when this week's show came around I made sure to inform him that it was a "Wedding Show" and since he would indeed be having a wedding in the very near future that he should be there! LOL. My LL's a good guy though and he agreed to go with. Gotta love him.

Oh and I may have color-coded my Excel tabs.

I was putting some stuff into a Google Docs spreadsheet for a while there, but inevitably switched back to Excel.

VivaLasVegasBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/9/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

I was going to wait to get the planner and mags, but since FH gave them to me, how could I say no? LOL. Ooh I'm jealous of the "wedding show," I get tempted to go to them but I keep telling myself, not yet, wait until you get the ring. I did tell FH that I want to go to a San Luis Obispo one in April since that's the county we're getting married in, so hey he's got a few months to rustle up a ring, right? Just kidding, we were planning on spending the weekend up in Cambria at the same time, so it's all great timing.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 9:23 AM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Wedding shows are fun. I went to one with a friend a few years back. I've got most everything figured out already though, so I mainly go for the freebees, cake tastings and then just to shore up a few details.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Hi Betty, I have gotten a good laugh at your thread, you sound so full of life and in love with your man!

As far as the proposal, I was in your situation. The best advice has already been given. Go on with your life and you will be so surprised. As soon as I stopped bugging my man about proposing and stopped thinking about, he proposed.

Sounds like it's coming soon girl, keep us posted!!!

preview image

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

If your FH is anything like mine, or some other guys that I've talked to, he wants it to be a surprise. He probably wants to wait until he can catch you off guard so that you can truly enjoy the surprise and he can get the best reaction from you. Just enjoy this anticipation. Enjoy all the butterflies that go along with waiting for your perfect guy, to give you the perfect proposal!

Edited by: PHILLIPS2B on Jan 16, 2009 12:18 PM

Re: The waiting game is not for type A women!
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: digwriter

THE WAIT IS OVER!!

My dear LL popped the big Q yesterday at the most gorgeous statuary park in East Toronto, on a tiny crest over looking Lake Ontario! TOOOOO die for! So fab I can't stand it. Perfectly blue skies, crisp snow under foot (or under knee in his case). Spectacular!

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Aw. Congratulations! That's wonderful. Keep us updated with details, and if you have any pics, those would be cool to see. =-)

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Thank you!!!!

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: digwriter

That's fantastic! Sounds like you got the the picture perfect proposal you will be telling your kids & grandkids some day! Congratulations!

I don't know if life is greater than death, but love was more than either~ Tristan & Isolde

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

You know what, I really did. I was perfectly us, perfectly sweet and simply perfect.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Dear Betty,

Hey, great! I'm glad it finally happened.

I'm glad you are set up with Excel. That's an excellent job skill, and in these economic times we need all the job skills we can get. I'm an Excel power-user, personally.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

OH YAYYY BETTY!! Thats awesome. Snow on the ground and everything. Congratulations!
Ive been lurking on your thread for awhile now and I find you humorous:) Just never got around to telling you that I guess lol.
But Im so happy it happened for you!

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

RLM Posts : 27 Registered: 10/4/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: digwriter

Now the real fun begins. Congratulations to you and L.L. I am a serious planning nut. I've got budget spreadsheets in Excel, guest lists and I just love OneNote. I stored lots of clippings in that application. From wedding dresses to floral arrangements and table settings.

Best of luck and happy planning.
wedding website

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine