Inexpensive wedding photographer needed NYC

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

akb1 Posts : 3 Registered: 6/15/06
Inexpensive wedding photographer needed NYC
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 8:45 AM

I know 'inexpensive' and 'NYC' don't usually go together when it comes to weddings, but I am doing my best to make these two happen together.

We're getting married at Queens County Farm and I am looking for a wedding photographer. We do not need video, just some family photos before the wedding, and some from the ceremony and reception.

Our budget is $500-700.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Re: Inexpensive wedding photographer needed NYC
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: akb1

Have you tried looking through schools or craigslist?

I found ours actually through craigslist - she's a student with an incredible eye. She's doing our wedding for about 1/10th the price that you normally see

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

I checked the www.wedfog.com listings for the NYC. Unfortunately, the least expensive photographers were $1000. Perhaps you might be able to stretch your budget or negotiate a better price or both.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Wigglyone Posts : 62 Registered: 11/19/08
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

I ran a search for you on theknot. This guy came up as "under 1000" on their site, but I can't find his prices listed on his site. These folks have packages starting at 999 dollars--but that's for an 8 hour day. If you don't need a full 8 hours, there's a possibility (I'm not in NYC, have never dealt with any of these people) that you can negotiate a smaller, less expensive package. This person's packages start at 600 dollars for a three hour package (which seems short to me, but I don't know your wedding plans) and says that he or she (the name Val is ambiguous) is willing to negotiate on packages based on budget and need.

I'd like to reiterate that these are not endorsements, merely some photographers I was able to find that you may be able to look into. I don't know their business practices or anything about them. I'm not looking for anything in the NYC area for myself. I just thought maybe I could find something for you to at least look at.

Tay

My "Wedding Blog"--read to find out more about why my attitude is how it is! http://nowedding.blogspot.com/

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

wow, ask and you shall receive, huh? I checked out his site, looks like a great photographer! This community is awesome! :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

Ask and you shall receive indeed!

I was also going to suggest photography students - some are really good and offer lower prices. You could check out local colleges for info I'm sure

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

HiltErlandImages Posts : 1 Registered: 1/22/09
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

Hey, did you find a photographer yet?

libra1019 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/16/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: akb1

I would rethink about a student. Not to say a photo student will not have the eye, yes they will especially with art images. But this is a wedding and you can not repeat it. Most students do not know lighting enough to cover an event like a wedding and how to deal with people on a day that can be stressful at times. Natural light is great but if you can not use your camera with flash and be able to expose the right way, you can get images that are blown out with no details in them..
I would really think a photo student.. Unless you don't care about the photography and the results then go for it... Having a portfolio that one does in school under a controlled environment in one thing but on a day of a wedding many things can happen and can go wrong for the photographer too... Knowing how to deal with it and the guest is a must and taken control with out being over bearing.

I would rethink my budget and maybe get coverages for the day either half day rate 4 hours or full day rate 8 hours with a professional photographer.

YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE....

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: libra1019

In defense of photo students, they are many and varied. If you want to find a good one who can handle a wedding and get the shots you're looking for, LOOK AT THEIR PORTFOLIO. Every good photographer has one, it will show what they can actually capture and not just what training they've had.

Yes, there are the stereotypical artsy photo students as a PP described. But that's not all, or even the majority. I know quite a few college-age photographers with no formal training who take beautiful pictures under natural or studio lighting in calm or chaotic situations with a professional DSLR, and you'll have your photos back--usually all of them, not just a handful of proofs--within days. Again, not all photo students, but there great ones out there willing to do it for a reasonable price.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine