What Did YOU get for Christmas?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 57

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Re: What Did YOU get for Christmas?
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I'd have to say this was the best Christmas yet....and I didn't get anything material. Although I wanted to upgrade my wedding band, the band I really liked was almost $700. I told DH no way. We are in the process of saving and eliminating all debt by March 1st so we can possibly be in our very 1st home by this coming June! So the thought of our own house is WAAAAY better than upgrading my band! Maybe I can get it for our first anniversary or even next Christmas shrug

I was very grateful to get to spend time with family and friends, get 2 weeks away from work, eat lots of good food, and most importantly: celebrate the birth of Christ.

Funny how Christmas takes on a different meaning when you're older!!

Glad you all had a GREAT Christmas!!

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 12:12 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

You know I did receive gifts this Christmas, for which I'm extremely grateful - especially my fave Xmas movie on DVD from hubby (It's a Wonderful Life) which was a stocking gift...

But the best thing for me was having my brother here. I've posted before about things with him and it was TOO entirely possible that my brother would not have been with us for Christmas. All I can be is GRATEFUL for being here in the flesh.

Having him at our house and my Mom here too - it was too great. It has been years since we were all together for Xmas. Having DH there on top of that any my step dad - priceless.

The fact that DH went online and found a stocking for my bro - that was his pro football team of choice and ordrered it - meant so much to my brother - and to me! DH wanted my brother here with us as mjuch as I did. And I can't begin to express to you how much that meant/means to me.

I'm sitting here again crying as I type this, but I can't even begin to express how much it meant to me.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: JackieB0129

Dear Jackie,

"my aunt got me a "purse". It's pretty ugly. I think it's designed for people who travel because it's reminds me of a fanny pack with a chest strap."

I'll trade you.

I carry a travel-designed purse all the time, and love it. Mine is from Eagle Creek. They really make stuff to last and stand up to lots of punishment. I've had mine for about a year, and it looks like mint condition.

I've sent two other Eagle Creek purses back for a free fix. They offer a lifetime guarantee on their stuff. I just call, get a Returned Goods number, send it in, and it comes back, fixed. Free.

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: projectmrscole

Dear Mrs Cole,

Like you, I am totally hooked on Sudoku. That's one of the reasons I don't really mind 10-hour flights. I plug in my iPod, get a Sudoku book, and the hours just fly by.

Try Killer Sudoku. You can find it in the Times of London website. I have the link in my favorites:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,18209,00.html

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

dear Mrs W,

"We are in the process of saving and eliminating all debt by March 1st "

The best Christmas Present, ever. You go girl. I'm rooting for you. Someone with those kinds of priorities will have beautiful Christmases throughout life.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 2:54 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Merry late Christmas to everyone!

From FMIL I got: Pj's that are about 4 sizes too big, but she was adament that I put them on IMMEDIATELY so there is not returning those for me, Dance Revolution for the Wii (it is AMAZING!), and some workout clothes.

From FH: A new battery for my laptop(mine currently lasts about 3 min if it is not plugged in), a cover for my cell phone, a gift card to Nordstroms, and a waffle maker. The waffle maker I think was more for him! Last year for his birthday I was going to buy him one because he loves waffles. Well he thought that meant I really loved waffles, so when he saw it he thought it would be perfect. I will be returning it asap!

From my parents: Sleeping Beauty (My favorite Disney movie), and a Garmin GPS. I am so excited! I drive so much for work, so I have been using the Navigation on my cell phone which costs about 40 bucks a month! So now I can save money. And it is cute! It is red (they were soldout of the pink). The GPS was the best gift by far. I really needed it!

I bought FH a snowboarding game for the wii. You use the balance board with it and it really feels like you are snowboarding, a new blade for his electric razor( it was 40 bucks! Why are they so damn expensive??), and a 2 day lift ticket to big bear(we are going for New Years).

Oh also my sister got my the funniest gift ever! It is a license plate from that says" Move over! The princess has to pee!" I always have to go to the bathroom. My family always makes fun of me and says I have the baldder of a baby. So when I opened this gift, we all died laughing!!

It seems like everyone had a great Christmas!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

MrsMaldonado-I ADORE your little Rocky. I'm still waiting for mine! He is absolutely adorable!

mush-so is your little kitty!

Well, I got some more things. About $500 for my favorite store, Kohls. And Dean got me this cute little gold hugs and kisses bracelet that says I Love You on it. I got two of those digital picture frames for slideshows. We got new sheets for our bed. I got Dean a Dr. Drill and a bunch of clothes he needed. He got a GPS (he'll never use it). And we both got a bunch of other things.

Looks like everybody made out great! Happy New Year everyone!

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: ThePhotoBride

Photo-

Now I'm REALLY jealous! There's nothing more that I'd like to do but kick back at a Rascal Flatts concert!

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hey Pharm-I'm a lot like you. I'm really into family and when I see my brothers and their families, I'm as happy as can be.

It's so nice that your husband gets along great with your family. It goes both ways over here, too. My Father in Law and my brother have become very good friends.

I am so glad you had an enjoyable Christmas. After this year-you deserve it!

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I have tried posting here for the past 2 days and something happens to the computer, so this is my last attempt, and of course it's going to be shorter than the awsome first 2 posts.

I got a spa gift cert from DH, bath & body stuff and a key locator (since I'm forever losing my keys in the house)......DH got a gps from me (his dad thought he should have one, and since his dad passed away and for other reasons, I bought it for him, I also got him teeshirts, socks, a book, candy.

I was able to spend time with my family at my sisters house along with her inlaws on christmas eve, then I went to see my bff for a few drinks, hung out talked got home at 1am, and was up at 5am to head to Niagara Falls to meet up with DH and then slept on the way to Toronto with MIL. Thanks to BIL's dog my allegeries acted up along with my asthama. But spending 2 days with my SIL & her family was awsome...(the house that we at was BIL & he was out of town for the holiday and he asked SIL to watch his dog at his house so she did & we had Christmas dinner there).

Those were the best gifts ever...spending time with family & friends.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

I got engaged for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonToBeAWard Posts : 280 Registered: 5/22/06
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 8:18 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Congratulations on getting engaged! How exciting for you and your fiance!!!!

This year my husband and I decided to buy each other a BBQ! We recently moved into a new house that has a main gas connection in the outside courtyard so we are getting a 4 burner hooded BBQ with a wok attachment.

My husband and I didn't spend Christmas together this year as he was doing the Sydney to Hobart yacht race here in Australia that started on Boxing Day, so I spent Christmas in my hometown with my mum and dad and the rest of my family. From my mum and dad I received a kitchen apron (never had one, always wanted one!), a dressing gown, a 2009 diary and a pair of silver hoop earrings. My sister gave me a makeup brush set. We also exchanged Secret Santa gifts with the extended family and lucky me got the Sex and the City Movie DVD, a beach towel and some chocolates. My parents in law gave me a bottle of perfume and my sister in law gave us a board game. I think I did really well!

I also think that Christmas is all about kids. I have nieces and nephews and nothing thrills me more than their excited faces on Christmas Day and we love spoiling them! It reminds me of all the great Christmases I had growing up.

It's a little late for Happy Christmas, so all the best for 2009 everyone!!

:: Lisa x ::

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeAWard

Greetings to you Australia!!!!

Cheetah-I am SO happy for you! Your ring is gorgeous! I hope you have a blast planning!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

GZZZZZZZZZ.....alot happens when you're not online. I'm glad everyone had a great time..and congratulations to everyone who got engaged!

Christmas Eve; My family had dinner with my sisters and their families we did our gift exchange. Got a few gift certificates and snacks, a Channel scarf and matching gloves. Christmas Eve night my son, my oldest daughter, granddaughter and future son-in-law stayed the night at our house. It was like old times when they ALL lived at home, I really enjoyed that. We opened our christmas pajamas had a few drinks and watched ELF then we all went to bed. Christmas morning the kids woke us up as they did when they were younger buy JUMPING on the bed! We finally got up and sat in the living to pass out gifts. It was a very tight budget this year, but everyone loved everything they got. My son gave me a $80. gift card to Macy's and $80 gift card for Dillards. My daughter gave me a Ed Hardy Purse (I really wanted) some pink slippers, and a really cute top. My youngest daughter and her BFF bought me my favorite perfume. James and I told each other that we will do gifts AFTER Christmas..but he gave me a $100 gift card for Dillards. It's okay because I gave him 3 pairs of work jeans that are $60 a PAIR! So we're good.

My most favorite gift of all was after we opened our gifts we cleaned up showered, then we all went to breakfast. There I was with MY children laughing and enjoying ourselves and it hit me. This was MY family....I looked at James and he kissed my forehead and said "I never thought I'd be in this position" I asked him what did he mean, he said " I may not be their father, but to know that they look at me that way makes me happy...I have a family of my own..with you." It made my Christmas.

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I finally made it to this thread. I think my best Christmas gift was having my parents here in NY instead of in FL. It's been many years since they've been north for the holidays. DH, our son, daughter and sil spent Christmas Eve with them at their place. They are living in the house that my dh grew up in so that was a nice flash of the past for him too.

The second best gift I received for Christmas happened the day after Christmas. There's a story behind it and I'll try to keep it short.

All summer long and right up until last Friday we have had a Great Blue Heron living on our property. They are such beautiful birds and have a HUGE wing span. This one is just a juvenil and his wing span had to have been at least 5-6 feet. He loved our yard because we have a stream and a pond with many frogs and fish that he loves to eat. We also have two dogs that loved to chase him and I guess the abundance of food outweighed the danger of the dogs.

On Christmas Eve I let our younger dog Emma out. We have an invisible fence so the dogs run the property. A few minutes later I called to her and she was barking. She wouldn't come to the door so I knew she had found something interesting. I got dressed and took the other dog out with me. Emma was at the pond with the heron and had him cornered. I don't know if she had spooked him while sleeping but he wasn't flying away. Abby, the dog that came out with me started barking too and the two of them kept getting closer and closer to the bird. They would not listen to me at all, so I went back in the house to get dh.

We went out, got the dogs and brought them in. Then we went back out to check the heron. He was holding one wing at an odd angle but was walking around. We left him for the night and kept the dogs in the house. Dh did a search on the internet for wildlife rehabilitators in our area. He made a couple calls Christmas morning and found one that said she had room if we could catch him. She highly recommended catching him if we could and even offered to come help if we needed it. She said there was no way he would survive the winter in the wild. Heron's migrate but if there is a young one, that is not with others, it will not migrate alone. Obviously this one was in heaven in our yard with no desire to leave and no idea of what was to come. We live in upstate NY and our winters can be horrendous.

We kept the dogs inside on Christmas day. We checked on the heron and he was still around and looking okay. He even flew a short distance. We didn't know how we would catch him though. The day after Christmas dh went and got some minnows from the bait shop and put them in a bait bucket at the edge of the pond. When I came home from work that afternoon the heron was standing at the edge of the bait bucket.

Later that night hubby and I went out to attempt to catch him. Dh was holding a long pole and on the end he had taped a fish net. I was in charge of the flashlight. The heron was still at the edge of the pond right near the bucket. He was asleep with his head tucked under his wing. Dh attempted to sneak up on him. The heron woke up and even appeared to yawn. Dh continued to get closer and when the heron was fully awake it started walking quickly off towards the woods with dh right behind. I tried to keep up with the flashlight and surprisingly dh caught him in the net. He carried him back to the house in the net and then we put him in a cat carrier. It was amazing how small it could become with those huge wings.

Hubby called the woman and she said bring him right over. We got there and opened the carrier and he got out and spread his wings way out. It was amazing. There was another young heron there who was brought in with his feet frozen in ice. I miss seeing him out in the yard but I am so glad he has some place warm to spend the winter.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine