Newbie says hi :)

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

FitzMcgee Posts : 13 Registered: 12/11/08
Newbie says hi :)
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:20 PM

What's the saying? Long-time lurker, first-time poster? Yeah, that's me :P

I found brides.com about a year ago and visit it frequently just to see how it's going in the wide world of weddings.

A little about me: my boyfriend and I have been together for about 3 years now, and living together just the same. I'm 20 (21 in 10 days, wee!) and a Junior college student. He's 21 and taking a hiatus from the educational scene right now :P We joke a lot about how we're already practically married just without the papers. We live in a rental house with a dog, backyard, and the works. But, I would like to make it official for other reasons and whatnot. I graduate in May of 2010 and would like to get married sometime soon after that. The only thing is, I would prefer at least a year-long engagement to plan the wedding and I'm not so sure I could plan a wedding and be a full-time college student (and full-time worker) at the same time. I mean, I applaud those who can, but whew, not me.

Soo....I'm tossing around November 2010 and dealing with the planning and just 1 semester of college or holding off until the end of 2011 which seems so far away. I would prefer a September, October, November, or even December wedding.

No official proposal yet as we're still talking about things and trying to get our lives sorted out first. I refuse to be one of those "love-blind" young brides that everyone on here loves so much </sarcasm> I want to be prepared financially, emotionally, and have enough maturity to handle this type of commitment as needed.

Ok, that's the end of my novel. I just wanted to say hi and tell a bit about myself. Feel free to add on with anything you'd like to share :)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Newbie says hi :)
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: FitzMcgee

Hi and welcome to the forums! I see we are both planning a 2010 wedding, go us! hehe.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: FitzMcgee

Welcome! What kind of ring are you hoping for?

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket
Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax does make you sleepy. it has a sedative effect. sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

Posted: Dec 15, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

What kind of ring? Well, I would like a solitare with side accents somewhere in the $3,000-$5,000 range (we're way poor right now, haha). It has to be white gold and at least 1 carat ;P But I'm still trying to decide on a style. I browse jewelry websites like crazy. Any recommendations?

I'm a newbie learnin' the ropes :D

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: FitzMcgee

My recommendation would be that you don't put a dollar amount and size restriction on it. For 1-ct in the 3-5k range, you may as well get a CZ because I promise you it won't be good quality. What's more important, a nice quality ring that he can afford, no matter the size, or a 1ct rock that is such poor quality that it looks like crap? Just something for you to think about. I suggest you go to http://howtobuyadiamond.gia.edu/menu.htm and educate yourself on diamonds. Like the saying goes: "Size doesn't matter" -- this is so true when it comes to diamonds.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I first want to say I swear I'm not affiliated with this site. lol

But I am in LOVE with DiamondNexus.com . They are manufactured diamonds that, under microscopes, gemologists can't tell from real diamonds!! I love this for so many reasons: #1 - I hate the idea that a diamond I MIGHT buy is supporting the slave labour in some third world countries. shivers . #2 - I hate hate hate the kind of strip mining that diamonds are so often responsible for, and #3 - if no one can tell the difference? HELL I'll take the cheaper route!! LOL

Here's a one carat, round brilliant cut diamond for $695.

http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=63_65&products_id=1092

No hassle 30 day return policy. There is no reason not to try these guys!! I didn't know about htem before we went shopping for my ring. I decided to buy a pearl ring because of all those reasons I listed above, but now that I foudn these guys, one day when we upgrade I'll be going with them. :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Dec 15, 2008 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Oh no, I was kidding when I said it "has to be this". I'll admit I'm not very educated on diamonds and I was just going off what sounded nice or what pictures I've seen :P I'm going to check out that website right now.

And I've even told my boyfriend that he could get me a ring from a cracker jack box and I'd still love it. I might be sad it's not as shiny as a diamond, but I'd love it nonetheless :)

Posted: Dec 15, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

And thank you for the website, Nalamienea, I'll check it out :)

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: FitzMcgee

FitzMcgee wrote:Oh no, I was kidding when I said it "has to be this". I'll admit I'm not very educated on diamonds and I was just going off what sounded nice or what pictures I've seen :P I'm going to check out that website right now.

And I've even told my boyfriend that he could get me a ring from a cracker jack box and I'd still love it. I might be sad it's not as shiny as a diamond, but I'd love it nonetheless :)

I'm a newbie learnin' the ropes :D

Lol! I've told my BF the same thing! It's really about the meaning behind the ring, not the ring itself! Plus if you save a lot of money on the ring, that money can go towards the wedding itself!

Good luck to you! A wedding planner may be your best bet, as they can help out a lot with the running around and stuff while you concentrate more on school. They are expensive though, so make sure you shop around for a good price with someone who will be passionate about what YOU want.
"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

Fitz - Any recommendations?

That sort of how mine looks. But what really sold me on my ring was the heart prong setting. I knew it was "the one" b/c of the hearts. What is something that would totally sell you on a ring?

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket
Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax does make you sleepy. it has a sedative effect. sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine