ARRRR I'm just venting

Online Users: 1,276 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 14

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
ARRRR I'm just venting
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:56 PM

I'm upset...not angry, but UPSET.... with my FH right not. It's his fault, and it isn't. yeah, that's clear.

I have a Verizon phone, and through my company I can get 13% discount. Sounds great. So we put his phone on there. Then he upgraded from his Razr, which was dying, to one of these PDA phones that can access the internet and do email and all those spiffy things. Mine can too, but I've never done it.

So anyway, he goes and uses 39,000 kilobytes last month. It's NOT on my plan. They charged 15 cents a kilobyte (don't do the math, it will make your head spin. Suffice it to say that the phone bill, which should have been roughly $130 for both phones was $730) Hence the vent.

We're not rich. Where is that money coming from? Considering he works for a restaurant and barely gets anything more than tips for his salary, and we're in Alabama which is not a vacation industry town and the tips pretty much stink....that money is coming from me. And I can't afford a phone bill of $730. So I had to put the blasted thing on one of my paid off credit cards -- since Verizon won't even talk about a payment plan with you until you're 30 days past due, and I'm trying to protect my credit score -- in this economy, the credit score I have is vital (its above 720....I'm not risking that).

So yes, we'll be having a chat about him using the phone for that purpose when he gets home. He's going to feel like crap and be really apologetic, and I know he didn't do it to be a butt....but it sure would be nice if phone companies would say "Hey....if you don't stop, you're gonna be one sorry puppy next month"! That's $600 spent on NOTHING.

Deep breath.

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Re: ARRRR I'm just venting
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

CAt that just plain sucks!! Verizon should have mentioned the charges when they were selling him that phone!

CatStandish wrote:
I'm upset...not angry, but UPSET.... with my FH right not. It's his fault, and it isn't. yeah, that's clear.

I have a Verizon phone, and through my company I can get 13% discount. Sounds great. So we put his phone on there. Then he upgraded from his Razr, which was dying, to one of these PDA phones that can access the internet and do email and all those spiffy things. Mine can too, but I've never done it.

So anyway, he goes and uses 39,000 kilobytes last month. It's NOT on my plan. They charged 15 cents a kilobyte (don't do the math, it will make your head spin. Suffice it to say that the phone bill, which should have been roughly $130 for both phones was $730) Hence the vent.

We're not rich. Where is that money coming from? Considering he works for a restaurant and barely gets anything more than tips for his salary, and we're in Alabama which is not a vacation industry town and the tips pretty much stink....that money is coming from me. And I can't afford a phone bill of $730. So I had to put the blasted thing on one of my paid off credit cards -- since Verizon won't even talk about a payment plan with you until you're 30 days past due, and I'm trying to protect my credit score -- in this economy, the credit score I have is vital (its above 720....I'm not risking that).

So yes, we'll be having a chat about him using the phone for that purpose when he gets home. He's going to feel like crap and be really apologetic, and I know he didn't do it to be a butt....but it sure would be nice if phone companies would say "Hey....if you don't stop, you're gonna be one sorry puppy next month"! That's $600 spent on NOTHING.

Deep breath.

Misty

wedding countdown

Happiness is your doggy meeting you at the door!

I hope you don't get hit by a city bus Cool

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Holy cow that's a lot of money for a cell phone bill. I can completely understand why you're upset. I would be too. Obviously your husband didn't know what sort of plan you guys are on with these phones but he should've asked before playing around on the internet with his new toy.

You can either put yourself on a flat rate data plan, which let's you use unlimited KB or you pay per KB. The only fault of Verizon's IMO is not informing you about, or offering you, one or the other and instead just putting you on the pay per KB plan.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat,

This happened to me last month too but with my little brother. I had just given him his verizon cell phone (added on to MY account) and he was using the internet for ringtones and all that bladiblah... Luckily for me Verizon did however send me a text and say hey you're getting high on you KB usage... I still ended up having a $300 phone bill which is way less than yours but still none the less annoying.

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

CaribbeanBride08 wrote:Holy cow that's a lot of money for a cell phone bill. I can completely understand why you're upset. I would be too. Obviously your husband didn't know what sort of plan you guys are on with these phones but he should've asked before playing around on the internet with his new toy.

You can either put yourself on a flat rate data plan, which let's you use unlimited KB or you pay per KB. The only fault of Verizon's IMO is not informing you about, or offering you, one or the other and instead just putting you on the pay per KB plan.

Pretty much. He's seriously stressed about it and sick over it. I've already told him that what is done is done, and all we can control is how we insure this never happens again. The default is, of course, the per KB plan. Fortunately, he's only used 2 KB so far this cycle (thank GOODNESS!)

He also switched back to his old phone last night. We really can't afford to get the one that has unlimited KB, so we can't afford to have him playing around on the internet. The problem with these phones is that they do so much and many times, people just assume that if it can do it, the plan covers it. On the newer phone, his brother keeps sending emails instead of text messages. On the old phone, it's converted automatically to text message, but on the new phone, it is delivered in the original format. (And brother will send message after message after message ... literally 20 a day, that FH just looks at, rolls his eyes, and deletes. He's shown me a couple of the messages and I'm really not looking forward to reconnecting with this brother.)

Like I said, I knew he'd feel like pond scum over this, and he did. He got no sleep last night stressing. I pretty much came to a quick " AAAAAAAAAAA. Okay...what caused this? How do we prevent it from EVER happening again?" reaction. He was still in "AAAAAAAAAAA" last night when we went to bed, even though we'd already changed out the phones -- he was still in the 'ohmygodohmygodohmygod' phase.

What really irks me though is that the remediation department won't even TALK to you about setting up a payment plan until you're in default. Why not let me take care of it now and get on that payment plan immediately. I don't want to go into default for their company. I want to be in good standing. I'm not arguing charges, I'm trying to pay it. But they want you to be behind before they even consider working with you. That is so stupid!

Misty

wedding countdown

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: Lilmisssouthern...

This happened to me last month too but with my little brother. I had just given him his verizon cell phone (added on to MY account) and he was using the internet for ringtones and all that bladiblah... Luckily for me Verizon did however send me a text and say hey you're getting high on you KB usage... I still ended up having a $300 phone bill which is way less than yours but still none the less annoying.

What is it with boys and their toys? It's a phone. I do wish they'd have sent me that message. It would surely have been appreciated, and it would have been remedied immediately.

VERY annoying. Thanks!! (I didn't figure I was going through this alone...unfortunately)

Misty

wedding countdown

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

That is awful. I would try calling Verizon to see if you can add the unlimited data plan onto your account for 29.99. My experience with Verizon is that they keep absolutely no track of what prior customer service reps told you on the phone, so it's probably worth a phone call.

I messed up when I switched service plans and was charged a bunch of money. I called (several times) and managed to get a credit back to my account by claiming absolute ignorance and incomprehension. I still had to pay the big bill, but at least the next month, all the charges were reversed.

I would call and say that you thought you were able to use data on the phone and that you didn't understand you'd be charged for it. And that you now want to add it to your phone but are hoping they can do it retroactively because of the crazy bill you got. See if they can retroactively add the plan to last month (for 29.99) and reduce your bill. It's certainly worth a shot. (If you do get the data plan added on, I'd keep it for a month or two to avoid showing that you were only using it to get the other price reduced.)

If you're feeling persistant and you don't get an answer you like, say ok and hang up and try again. I'd do it when you're feeling patient - even though everyone I spoke to at verizon hadn't been outsourced, 95% of them seemed to have rocks for brains.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

WOW- I remember those days! I had sprint for almost 6 months and had a bill for $1000,00! It took me 2 years to clear it up with them in small claims court. They gave me a local # with long distance charges. Then switched to verizon and had them for a year and had a friend of mine take over my accout. They were NUTZ.. my kids couldn't do jack crap without being charged.

So now, I have Tmobile and have been with them for 8 years. We have 4 phones (1 for his business) UNLIMITED everything (min-text-photo), internet, warrenty coverage for all phones. We pay one flat rate of $200. and never have to worry about "extra" charges.

I have had several people switch over to Tmobile because of their great plans.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Wow yea cell phones suck! I had Verizon a couple years ago and I would text A LOT on it and the first month they called and said hey you have a lot of texts so I said up my plan so they gave me a higher plan then for almost 6 months I had like $200 in text messaging (not all from me my ex was on that plan to and he did a lot too) so finally I said well block the messaging so I can't send or recive them and tehy refused to because I used it. My dad and I fought witht hem for 3 months about it because I was on the highest plan and still going over, so now I owe them about $1100 because they wouldn't block the texts...... Also about the constantly calling untill you get the answer you want, I used to work for ATT in the call center and other call centers and sometimes it will work (since apparently you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work for them) but there are ways to track your calls and there are employees that will actually document what you called for and if they do and you still keep calling trying to get a diffrent answer they won't be all that nice to you, at least thats how its been in all my call centers. Also if you left your account become delinquent (sp is horrible sorry) it will not effect your credit until its well over 190 days past due. It is a pain to not be able to set up the arrangement, you can pay part now part in a week and another week or however you want to do it on your own and they shouldn't say anything as long as its all paid.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa, I hope someone at Verizon documents things! I haven't actually tried calling back when I want different answers - but when I had a problem, each time I called, the person would claim to fix it and then nothing would go through. Each subsequent time I called, the person had no clue what the prior person had done or didn't do. I think I must have called 10 times to get my account credited after they promised it the first time. (Lots of conversations started "I'm going to try really hard not to get mad at you because I know this isn't your fault, but this is my 5th call to Verizon this week about this issue and I can't believe there's no record of it...")

So, it may not actually work -- I just know that they didn't document things when I wanted (and asked!) them to, so its worth at least one more phone call, I'd say.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Oh yea there are a lot of employees that dont document or will only put in cci (customer called in) and thats it......I have worked for Nextel/Sprint and ATT and with the training for ATT we had a week long course of how to document calls, and be VERY specific about what was said...but I still noticed people didn't and it does effect the customer because if you say oh I will do this for you, don't document it, it doesn't go through (or the person is to lazy to really do it) theres no proof it was said. But I did see a lot of people documenting what was said I had one lady who called 10 times in one day trying to get charges off her bill that were actually valid charges, she just refused to pay because she HAD to use her phone that much that month and everytime someone said no we can not do that she hung up and called again. I have learned a lot of the times if you need something done and you have called about it before when you call again just be really nice to who ever answers say you need to speak to a manager, don't give them any info (if its a good agent they will try and try and try to get you to talk to them about it first, so if they do try then talk to them) but make sure they get a manager, not a floor support person and then explain to the manager you are upset things aren't getting resolved and don't seem to be getting documented and the manager should be able to help.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

OMG Misty! I've had Verizon for years now and I haven't had too much problems with them. I'll have to think of switching FAST once they start fucking me over.

I'm glad you had a reserve credit card to place it on for now so at least you're not "in the hole." Also glad to here FH went back to original phone. I'm afraid that once I get a smartphone this will happen to me. :(

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket
Our Wedding Website 

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Misty,

I would call Verizon customer service and let them know that you were misled and misinformed. See what they can do for you.

A sales rep's job is to sell the product. Customer service's job is to keep the customer happy.

When DH and I first met we had two different phone carriers. The first month, he went over his minutes so much with out realizing it and his phone bill was like $630. It was crazy and at that time he was on his best friend's plan. The friend called Verizon and somehow got it worked out so DH only had to pay like $150. So its doable.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

If you get a smart phone, just be sure and add the email/web package -- its about $30 a month, but that's a darn sight better than $600.

We're a bit more calm about it now.

Misty

wedding countdown

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Phone companies are the WORST for this and it feels like they keep their new customers in the dark so that they can suck the blood out of them until they learn otherwise!! I was calling home to canada at 49 cents per minute!!! Before we had a $300 phone bill one month and called to see if there was anything we could do to change it. In the end I could pay an extra $5 and receive calls to Canada for 7 cents per minute. I was SO MAD that that was ALL I had to do to get this great rate!! Why wouldn't they say it up front? Why is it legal to charge one customer (such as yourself) $600 for the EXACT service that cost another customer $30? I think ti should be against the Law.

Man.. not much else fires me up like the stupid cell phone companies.

10/26/08 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine