Proposal Stories & Rings!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 44

s2bMrsDavis Posts : 4 Registered: 10/21/08
Re: Proposal Stories & Rings!
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

My FH & I have been together for 5 years & 5 months & counting! Our "dating" anniversary is July 21, 2003! This is our proposal/ring story!

Something you need to keep in mind! My FH doesn't talk much! He is very shy very very very shy! So the following was a great feat for him! && I love him for it!

In 2005 our church had a softball tournament in Griffin, GA. My FH (boyfriend at the time) had forgotten some things so we needed to run to Wal-Mart. While there at 1am we stopped by the Jewelry department. He asked me to come look at something & pointed out the most beautiful wedding set! I fell head over heels for it! But being we were so young then didn't see a point in buying it so soon! At the time we were 17/15, but we knew we were going to be together forever! So finally when we both felt financially and maturity wise we were ready to by something he ventured out! Well needless to say he came back with some horrifying news. The ring that I had my heart set on was discontinued! But he was relentless! We have a lady at our church that works with Wal-Mart jewelry. She found one in California Lay-a-Way and had it shipped to FL for him. This was in 2007! Sooo sweet! I <3 Him! That's the ring story!
Here is the proposal!
Our church denomination has a thing called Camp Meeting every year were all of the churches in the FL district from our denomination meet and have church for a week! This is were he asked me out, Wednesday of Camp Meeting back in 2003! Well Camp Meeting always marked our anniversary! Camp Meeting 2008 rolled around and I didn't think anything of a proposal! It was our 5 year dating anniversary! After a superb church service we were all fellowshipping! I kind of noticed that there were still a lot of people in the santuary for how late it was but pushed the thought aside. I was sitting talking with my girls when I needed to get up and get something from another pew! When I got up my FH gave me a big hug and told me he loved me! I told him I loved him too and went to continue to the pew, when I nearly tripped over him!!! He had dropped to one knee! I was so shocked and flabbergasted that I had to lean on the wall for support! He hadn't even proposed yet and everyone was cheering like it was a football game! When we both stopped crying enough to talk he told me he had loved me since day one and couldn't imagine his life without me! I was the perfect piece to his puzzle! && I said yes! So we have now been engaged for 5 months! && Our wedding is 1 year and 5 months away on May 1st, 2010! We are both waiting for me to get done with college.
1/2 Carat Diamond Bridal Set in 14kt White Gold -- Keepsake Beverlyhttp://Mr. & Mrs.]♥ - Proposal 7/21/08 - Photo 1 of 16">http://Mr. & Mrs.]♥ - Proposal 7/21/08 - Photo 1 of 16" width="170" height="273" />
Can't Wait!!!

consonance Posts : 11 Registered: 12/3/08
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

This is long because I just cut and pasted from my LJ/Facebook. I wrote
it more so that I wouldn't forget the details, but I'll share it with
you ladies as well!
It was Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and Bryan and I had
embarked on a 13 hour car ride from Little Rock, AR to just north of
Grand Rapids, MI to spend the holiday with his family. We had been
discussing getting engaged for a while and had recently set the wheels
in motion...

My mom wanted me to use the stone from her engagement ring, which
actually belonged to my grandmother (who I never met b/c she passed
away when my mom was a teenager). And I just found out that it might be
even older...my grandfather (in his 90s) is going to try to remember.

We had been shopping for settings for a few weeks, and basically
settled on one. However, we didn't know the weight or the measurements
of my mom's stone, so Bryan had to make 'the phone call' (since we live
so far away) to ask for my hand and the ring.

All went well (my parents love him) and the ring was shipped to Little
Rock, arrived the next day no prob. We went up to the jeweler together
to drop it off. From that moment on, I had no idea what was going to
happen when. At some point in time I had asked Bryan if he knew when it
was going to be done because I didn't know. He shrugged it off, saying
that he had no idea...lol.

So, we're packing to go up to Michigan and I had been thinking that it
would have been really nice if it happened before Thanksgiving so that
his family could see the ring and celebrate with us. But I didn't bring
it up because I trusted him. :-) I even made sure that I put on makeup
(not that unusual, but not necessary for spending the day in the car)
and that my hair looked nice.

We leave around 9am on Wednesday and drive allll day. We stopped for
dinner in Champaign, Illinois and, I'm not kidding, I had some random
thought in my head that he was going to propose on our way up. But I
quickly shrugged it off. We finish our dinner and get back on the road.

We're chatting about stuff and he says:
"lots of stuff coming up...visiting my family this weekend and yours in a couple of weeks..."
I say: "yeah..."
He says: "So, would you like to come home as my fiance?"
I think: !!!!!!!?!?!?????????!!!!!
I say: "....yes......." (my first thought was 'duh', but I thought I should play it more serious)
He says: "well, it's too bad that it'll be a bit longer before the ring is done..."

Me: ..........................

After a long pause, I say: "you know, you have my mind REELING right now!!!!!"
He laughs.

GRR.

So we're driving some more, about an hour maybe (?), and we pull into a
rest stop. We come back to the car and I got myself buckled in, and was
in the process of plugging in the GPS when he starts to speak.

B: So, I just can't wait any longer, and I know that you're dying to have this before we go home
Me: unbuckles my seat belt, jaw DROPS and hands cover my mouth as he pulls out a white box...oh, and I start to cry
B: makes some comment about how the box is so cool and has a light in it as he opens it
B: Will you marry me?
Me: Oh my god, yes!!!!!!! smooch takes out ring and he puts it on my finger

More crying and smooching ensued and then I made him take some pics
with me so that we would always remember. Oh, and I took pics of the
view of the rest stop and what the gps looked like. I'm so silly. :-)

So, that's our 'Jim and Pam' moment. I am honored to have my
grandmother's (maybe great grandmother's?) stone and so thrilled to be
marrying such a kind, wonderful, and loving man.

MrsPJM3 Posts : 129 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: consonance

Bear with me long post and I am terrible at grammar and punctuation. The knot.com would throw me off ASAP
We already had our wedding date and even colors picked out but as I kept telling my FH we were putting the cart before the horse. Anyway I knew he wanted to pick out the ring by himself because he believes it is a gift and it's his gift to me. Anyway the only input I had was what style diamond I liked and that I wanted white gold. He had been going "super secret surprise shopping" a couple of nights with his mom. So I knew it was coming but I wasn't sure when. My only requirements were for him to talk with my dad and my 13 year old.
So last Wednesday was his birthday, we had planned to go to eat at this cajun restaurant and movie here in town. Nothing really fancy then he calls in middle of the day wants to wear dress clothes ok. Still I have no clue. His bosses take him to lunch for his birthday then he calls me and said he had an errand to run. Ok still no clue. He comes in I'm getting ready he want's to change the restaurant to same one as our first date and maybe walk downtown like we did on first date. Again no clue. I had been wanting to go downtown b/c of all the Christmas lights and stuff. So we do to "our" restaurant. His meal was horrible mine was great. Anyway we finish and have time before movie so we decide to go walk. He is going over how nervous he was the first time we ate here and walked etc. I'm like awww your so sweet. Then me a christmas fanatic gets so excited about the lighted tree display downtown. We are up on the mountain walk so we are actually overlooking the trees. I'm like look aren't they pretty. I like that one best. I'm just rambling on and on then I realize he's not standing behind me I turn around and he's on one knee. He asked if he could change my name from *** to **! I was like ughh ughh I was crying. It was great he didn't even show me the ring it was still in the box. Then he opened the box and said are you going to answer me I was like ughh yea... The ring is beautiful it's a 3 stone and he said it's because he's not only going to marry me but also my 2 sons and he is the diamonds on the w-band that will bind us all together. Then he told me the errand that day had been to talk to my dad and the last minute change in plans were because the ring had just came in from being sized on Wednesday morning. We sent my 13year old a text that said yes from FH's phone mine was at home. When I got home my son had sent me a message that I quote said yes yes yes you said yes!!!!! We did still go to the movie we saw Fireproof great movie @ working at your marriage. It's amazing how everything fell into place.
As soon as I get some pics of my ring I'll post.

[

wedding countdown

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 10:06 PM Go to message in response to: MrsPJM3

Consonance~ Do you live in Little Rock, AR? I live in Hot Springs AR

[

wedding countdown

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: MrsPJM3

MrsPJM3 wrote:Consonance~ Do you live in Little Rock, AR? I live in Hot Springs AR

I do! FH got a job last Jan and he moved down, I'm a teacher and so I moved down in July, after school in NY ended. I've never been to Hot Springs, but will be going to a conference there in February!

Edited by: consonance on Dec 4, 2008 12:57 AM

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 6:58 AM Go to message in response to: consonance

I am a teacher also. My fh works in Little Rock and lives in Bryant. I will be moving to Bryant in Jan. I am hoping to find a job next year in Bryant or Benton. I love Hot Springs. I love the water and outdoors so all the lakes and camping are wonderful for us.

[

wedding countdown

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: MrsPJM3

MrsPJM3 wrote:

I am a teacher also. My fh works in Little Rock and lives in Bryant. I will be moving to Bryant in Jan. I am hoping to find a job next year in Bryant or Benton. I love Hot Springs. I love the water and outdoors so all the lakes and camping are wonderful for us.

Awesome! What do you teach? I've heard great things about Hot Springs and am looking forward to going there in Feb. FH is doing research at UAMS...we'll be down here for another year and a half (or so) and then it's off to wherever he can find a professor job. Hopefully in the northeast because that's more 'home' to me!

I can't get used to the changes in weather down here...yesterday it was almost 70 and today it's in the 40s. Ugh! I like the cold, but I just need something more consistent! It's wreaking havoc on my poor immune system. :-(

What do you teach and where does FH work?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

On August 9, 2008, I had a lot of things I wanted to do and one thing I had to do (and didn't really want to do).

A really great friend was getting married -- and I couldn't go (dang and blast!)
A really awesome couple at my church was celebrating 50 years of marriage with a jazz swing dance -- and I couldn't go (dang and blast!)

And the production of The Fantasticks, of which I was a cast member, was having its finale -- and I had to be there.

By the time the show opened, I was sick of it. There was a cast member who made the production hell. Granted, I liked everyone else, but when you open and the lead is reading his lines from his hands -- and he's had nearly two months to learn his lines -- and you're the assistant director, let's just say it puts you off of the production<G>

I also was talking to a friend of mine in Chicago (Bridesmaid #2) and said "I think he's going to propose at final curtain." She said "I'm not saying anything, but don't eat any garlic today. But I'm not saying anything."

On the way up to the theatre, FH is telling me about one of the other cast member's birthdays and how he wants to announce it to the theatre, and what he wants to say to the director, all that stuff -- it is the finale and kinda traditional in our community theatre to do that kind of stuff.

And he had kept telling me that the ring we'd designed was not ready.

So anyway, we do our show (yay everyone), we get our standing ovation (we rock), and then FH came forward with his little "I wanna make an announcement" spiel, since it's the finale. I'm expecting him to announce the birthday. I'm expecting him to announce something about the director. Instead, he turns to me, takes my hand and pulls me center stage.

I'm not dumb...I know what's about to happen, but it is amazing how the moment, no matter how expected it is, has it's own life. Other than "I've been wanting to do this since I first met you on that bus...." I don't know what he actually said. (Neither does he).

He got down on one knee and proposed in front of a sold out house.

When he asked my parents, they had their dates screwy and told him that they'd be out of town. I had casually mentioned to him that day that I went to my parents. He literally said "Wait, I thought they were out of town." And I told him that was the previous weekend. Now, he's with me for the next two hours and can't exactly call my parents then and say "HEY... it's tonight. Get out here!" He wanted them there. So as soon as he could, he texted them, and my mom had her phone in her purse. By the time they found out, it was pushing it. It takes 45 minutes, in good traffic, to get to the theatre from their house. My parents walked into the theatre JUST as the whole house broke out in applause and awes, and just "missed it by that much" (must use the Maxwell Smart voice).

Several of my co-workers, who did NOT know it was coming, were also in the audience that night.

Here's the moment.

Yes... we looked SO glamourous in our Costumes. It was the Fantastics. He was Mortimer and I was the Mute.

And y'alls stories have made me cry in a good way <G>

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

So many BEAUTIFUL and ROMANTIC stories! I love it!

wedding widget

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat - what a great story!! Someone that I knew met her husband through a community theater, so they got married on the stage!

That's awesome about The Fantasticks! I used to be really involved in theater on Long Island (both on stage and playing in the pit), but recently moved to Arkansas and am missing performing! sigh

Great story and lots of luck to ya!

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: consonance

consonance wrote:

I can't get used to the changes in weather down here...yesterday it was almost 70 and today it's in the 40s. Ugh! I like the cold, but I just need something more consistent! It's wreaking havoc on my poor immune system. :-(

What do you teach and where does FH work?

As we say in Arkansas if you don't like the weather stick around it changes :).... I personally hate it it is so hard for anyone not to have a yucky stuffy nose or what not.
Anyway I teach 2nd grade and my fh is an architect.
BTW I love your story that is so sweet!!!

All of the stories are so sweet. I

[

wedding countdown

Jeter Posts : 17 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsPJM3

What wonderful stories! It's nice to see romance is alive and well!!!

My man combined my three favorite things for our proposal - Christmas, my daughter, and diamonds! On Sunday night we were going to decorate the tree. He pulls out this snow globe looking ornament with a pink present wrapped in a green bow in the middle of the globe. Well, he knows pink and green are my favorite and more than likely going to be our wedding colors. So, I was thinking he picked out a great ornament! He says "You should hang this one first". Ok! I grab the thing and my daughter (8 years old) says "Mom - wait - you should if there is still a price tag on the bottom!". Didn't even think twice before I flipped it over and read "Erica - will you marry me - love Joe". When I looked over at him he dropped to his knee and did his thing. It was wonderful. And I will always have that beautiful pink and green ornament to remember the day by!

I will post pictures of my blingy ring as soon as I can capture a good one!

Erica

JJsWifey08 Posts : 272 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: Jeter

I guess my proposal story will be different from everyone elses but its romantic in my own way cause i wanted it to happen this way lol so anyways we have the night to ourselves and we are sitting there and he tells me he loves me. hes never been in love before so it was shocking as hell to hear it. I told him I loved him too. We watched Tv until it was time for bed. he started touching on me which he knows how to do it just right and we are sitting there making love and he whispers in my ear" i never thought I could love anyone until i met you. you have shown me things that i never thought would happen to me. from this moment on and forever I want you by my side. Tanika Will you marry me?" I was shocked and happy cause i am a romantic person but i dont want the proposing by airplane, in a garden, etc i wanted a intimate moment and he gave me that.

haha darn forgot the pictures of the ring
heres the whole set

http://s.kmart.com/is/image/Sears/10200095514Z1255?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0myengagement001.jpg picture by blessedwit2

www.weddingcountdown.com

Edited by: JJsWifey08 on Dec 6, 2008 12:19 PM

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: JJsWifey08

JJsWifey -

Your story was beautiful! I agree, I wanted the proposal to be just us and not a big elaborate thing. I get really weirded out when put on the spot like that, even though I know what my answer will be!

So glad you got what you wanted. :-) Congrats!

JJsWifey08 Posts : 272 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: consonance

Consonance-Thanks so much!! i just loved that more than anything!!! Congrats to you as well!!
Photobucket

www.weddingcountdown.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine