Proposal Stories & Rings!

Online Users: 1,261 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 44

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Proposal Stories & Rings!
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 11:53 PM

I'm sure that there is already a post like this somewhere, but I didn't want to have to dig so I thought I would start a new one! I love hearing proposal stories and seeing all the unique engagement rings! So, I'll start...

On July 22, my (then boyfriend) and I were on vacation alone at the beach. It is traditional for me to watch the sunrise while I am at the beach. One morning, my finance dragged me out of bed and we went down to the beach to watch the sunrise. We were pretty much alone and it was a little chilly so he was holding me close. When the sun rose up a little and all of the colors were reflecting off of the water he asked if it was my perfect sunrise. When I said yes, he got down on one knee and with a few very sweet extra words, asked me to marry him. It was magical! I didn't even know he had the ring in his pocket when we left the room. Here is a picture of my ring:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2lnzez6.jpg

the picture is a little blurry and the ring is kind of crooked on my finger at this moment lol. It is a white gold princess cut solitare. I can't wait to plan our lives together. We are getting married on December 5, 2009!

I'm anxious to read everyone else's stories!
wedding widget

aelrod Posts : 92 Registered: 12/5/07
Re: Proposal Stories & Rings!
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Your story is so sweet! The sunrise is just beautiful and i love your ring!

We have been engaged for a while now but the proposal was just adorable. I LOVE gardens, so FH took me to a garden sanctuary about an hour away with his grandmother (who raised him) on 7/7/07, which was our "special" day. The number 7 was our joke because we are 7 years apart and he knew that it would be perfect. We walked around enjoying the scenery for a while until he found the perfect spot, when he knelt and asked if I would marry him.

There was a swan and flowers and the beautiful carillon tower, just amazing.

My FH designed my ring with a jeweler because my finger is too small to just buy a ring, so it is a 1.25 ct tw three stone ring with a very unique setting. I just love it, he did a great job!

prettyring.jpg picture by aasimmons7 engagementring1.jpg picture by aasimmons7

Our wedding is FOREVER AND A DAY away!

sweetpeas Posts : 31 Registered: 11/3/08
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: aelrod

@aelrod, where is that garden? I live in FL and would like to go see it sometime if I am traveling around the state.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

That sounds like such a perfect moment aelrod! Your pics are beautiful! I have a super small hand too, and it definitely makes jewelry difficult...my ring is a little big, which worries me a lot! Are you going to incorporate the garden theme into your wedding?

wedding widget

aelrod Posts : 92 Registered: 12/5/07
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

The gardens are in Lake Wales, halfway between Tampa and Orlando and they are beautiful!
We have considered a garden wedding, there is a beautiful garden in our hometown that is ridiculously cheap, but practically EVERYONE here gets married there lol. We are really thinking about a beach wedding, we are very casual and that seems to be a good fit. But I would love to be surrounded by flowers :)

Our wedding is FOREVER AND A DAY away!

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

What a great thread! Ok, while I love telling mine cause it was so wonderful, I HAVE to tell you about this one that I saw happen last weekend!! I think you can see mine in my info!
Anyway, at Ohio State v Michigan we were all at Skull Session (a big pep rally before each home game where the Ohio State Marching band plays). Anyway, it was senior day and the last home game and they always do these "horn cheers"- little group numbers where different groups of insturments play a small ditty of a song. SO, right before this one horn cheer, this band member was introducing the group and then said "Today I have a very special guest- she came from behind enemy lines from Pennsylvania (we just lost to Penn State- boo). She's my best friend, the love of my life, the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, Amanda (I think that was her name) Will You Marry Me?" OH the place went nuts!!! Everyone was cheering and clapping! The girl ran out onto the floor and of course said yes, it was SO cool!! Now mind you, there were thousands of people there, so it was just a thrill! Anyway, I just thought it was really cool and wanted to share!!!

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 8:54 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

ael: A beach wedding sounds great to me! If I lived anywhere near the beach, I would be having one!

Brooke: Thats such a sweet story!! Thanks for sharing. I bet she wasn't expecting that at all!

wedding widget

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I love hearing everyone's proposal stories. For how romantic/cheesy we are constantly, his proposal wasn't that cheesy. We had both been working at the mall for holiday jobs and they were selling V-day cookies already. So before he left work he bought a heart shaped cookie that said "I love you" on it. We were also staying with a few friends at the time and he took me in the back room b/c he said he had something to give me. I thought it was weird that he didn't want to just do it there. So he took me back there, and gave the cookie. I was like, "Awww thanks babe!" But was confused on why he wanted to give me a cookie in the back room??? Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was shocked but in a way knew it was coming. The ring her proposed with isn't the ring I wear now. We "upgraded" about a year later. I still have the proposal ring and plan on getting it resized so I can wear it on my left hand.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 11:24 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Mrs.Pinky I've got to ask, did you eat the cookie or keep it? lol And if you ate it, was it the best tasting cookie ever?

wedding widget

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

My DH and I had planned to go out to dinner and make it a really nice occasion so we dressed up. Before we went to dinner, he said he was working outside today talking to some coworker about how beautiful the sunset was supposed to be because of the clear sky (I know this coworker and there is no way that conversation actually happened, haha). We went to the beach and since we had about 1/2 hour to kill, we walked up this creek and were skipping stones. He had the ring in his shirt pocket, so he wouldn't bend over to get his rocks. I didn't notice. He was about to pop the question when a man and his little boy came walking down the path and decided to hang out nearby. DH wanted to be alone, so we started back to the car, but we walked along the shore instead of the path through the woods. A tree had fallen down and DH had to push some branches aside so I could walk through, as soon as I was passed him, he took the ring from his pocket, grabbed my waist, pulled me to him and asked me to marry him. I kissed him, hugged him and said yes. Then we watched the sunset, cancelled our dinner plans at the one restraunt and opted for a local restraunt so we could meet up with our families. It was super sweet.

We were both still living at our parents' houses then (finishing up college) and as he was getting ready that night, he told his parents he thought he was going to propose that night. When we showed up at their house (after the proposal) we walked in and they were trying not to say anything or even act like it might be a big deal that we were there. They kept watching the TV. When we announced we were engaged, they jumped out of their seats and were hugging us in an instant. They didn't want to say anything in case he didn't do it. haha. They were so cute.

ticker

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Aww another beach proposal, my favorite kind! That sounds so sweet. My FIL were the same way!! Since we were on vaca and wouldn't be back for a few days, my FH actually kept my FMIL fooled for an extra day telling her that he had decided not to do it yet, she was SOO mad when he told her the truth and that his sister already knew haha!

wedding widget

Edited by: WinterWonderlandBride on Dec 2, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

WinterWonderlandBride - Mrs.Pinky I've got to ask, did you eat the cookie or keep it? lol And if you ate it, was it the best tasting cookie ever?

I ate it of course! It was rather great. But I'm not a frosting on a cookie fan. My hubby is sweet enough for me!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

mrsj2011 Posts : 31 Registered: 10/21/08
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

We got engaged in August and are having our wedding in August.
He took me to a nature reserve with a waterfall, pond and walking trails really pretty area. He wanted it to be someplace different that we can always go to, and the waterfall was to be significant of our fist trip(he says our first real date, another story behind that) to Niagara Falls, the place says the rocks are the same kind as Niagara Falls and somehow the water connects to them also. So we went there walked the trails and sat by the pond bought some little snacks to eat. I didnt think to much about it just something different it did cross my mind when we left but not enough. After we were done he had me go sit on a picnic bench and said he had something else to give them, this was a few days after our anniversary and said he hadnt finished making it in time(I had already got a gift so I wasnt expecting anything). He made me a scrap book of some of the pictures of us together with cute sayings about how he felt. I love scrap books so he wanted something Id be able to keep and add to for our proposal. In ithe end he had a picture of us on our last vacation and it said "So many places to go..."(next page) "Will you go there with me?" Then I looked at him he was on his knee actually asking me, I forget everything he actually said I was shocked and excited. Then I asked to go to my parents house he said he needed to go home to change because it was hot out. So I said ok and to my surprise we get to our house, and theres his parents and brother (who live out of town) and my family waiting for us. He knew Id want to see everyone afterwards so already planned a little party for the night.

I havent been able to post any pictures yet Im still working on figuring that part out

CSUFgrad08 Posts : 114 Registered: 6/19/08
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Awwww! I love reading all the different proposal stories on here! :) So romantic! I definitley have to share mine because I think it is the most sweetest thing in the world!
FH and I have been dating for about 2 in a half years. We just got engaged on 10/4/08. We had already discussed marriage and so I knew it was coming soon, but I definitely was surprised the day he proposed because I didn't expect it that day.
It was a Saturday evening, like any other weekend and FH got off work at about 5 pm. We had made plans to go to dinner at about 7 pm. Finally, 7 ish rolls around and FH calls me on my cell while I was at home waiting for him to pick me up. He tells me if it's okay I pick him up instead because he let his parents borrow his car (which he does every so often, so I thought nothing strange about it). So I agreed and drove to his house to pick him up for dinner. I arrived and called him to let him know that I was outside waiting for him. FH then told me that he was still getting ready and for me to just go ahead and go inside his house while he finishes up. So I did, and when I opened the front door all the lights were off. There was a pathway of candles that he made from the entrance of his house, all the way to the back door that lead to the yard. Along with the trail of candles, he also put rose petals all along the pathway and he put picutures of the many things that we have done together. The song "more than words" was playing in the background, and when I took everything in and made sense of it all, I felt the tears roll down my cheeks because I was so excited but so happy at the same time. With runny mascara below my eyes (lol) I followed the pathway he made and when I got to where the pathway ended, there was my FH on one knee in the middel of a big heart that made from candles. Finally, he pulled out the ring and asked me to marry him. It was the sweetest proposal! My profile picture on here is of that day he proposed. If you look at the picture closely, you can see that we are standing in the middle of the heart where he popped the question :)

wedding countdown           

Future Mrs.D

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: CSUFgrad08

CSUFgrad08 - that is really sweet. I was wondering what that was pic of. Congrats!!!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine