Distant Engagement

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Jnikki Posts : 42 Registered: 11/2/08
Distant Engagement
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:42 PM

Hey everyone,

I just got engaged Oct. 24, 2008 and the proposal was great. I'm really excited to spend my life with the man that I love, but we a problem....Distance! My fiance just started graduate school in WA and I'm finising my grad program in AL. I am currently looking for jobs that would allow me to move to WA, but I'm a food scientist so it is very difficult. Our entire engagement we will be seperated and will not be together to grow to the oneness we wil become on our wedding day. I really hate being on complete opposite sides of the country, airfare is really high for us to see each other. Are there any newlyweds or future brides that have been in or in the similar situation? How do you deal?

Missing my boo, help

Nikki

JessyNChris Posts : 120 Registered: 4/3/08
Re: Distant Engagement
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 6:01 PM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

We don't have a date yet. But I live in NC, and he lives in NJ. We have been having a long distance relationship from the beginning. It is hard, but we communicate by email, and IMs to bump off ideas. Can you do that with your FH?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  Waiting to be Mrs. Styskal 

mamus Posts : 5 Registered: 6/21/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2008 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Hey
I'm in the same situation. I just got engaged two weeks ago, however
we've been in a long distance relationship for a year now. We are going
to spend the whole engagement period (a year and a half) until we get
to finally live together. It's hard but we manage to make it work,
phone, IM, and we also see each other once a month. What is worse is
that he is not even in the States. Anyways, I understand what you
are going through :-).

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Wow, I'm glad to find other long distance brides!

My boyfriend and I have been dating long-distance for the majority of our relationship (2.5 years) because we go to different universities. It hasn't been easy and I never thought I'd find myself in one of these, much less make it work, but of course it's worth it. (Although it's tempting to complain in this thread because I know you'd all understand! My friends are great, but they just don't understand what it's like to be away from your man nearly all the time when they get to see theirs daily!)

Anyway, take advantage of technology to keep in touch: cell phones for talking, texting, and sending photos, the internet for emails, webcams, and chatting (Skype is great), or even snail-mail for good old fashioned letters or care packages. To work on planning the wedding, you can email each other websites/photos/ideas of things you like, or maybe create a wedding website/account for the two of you to jointly plan. Also, enlist local friends to help, they can go shopping with you, attend appointments, offer an honest opinion, and simply be a buddy who can share the excitement with you.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes! My BF and I have discussed when to get engaged, move in together, and marry, and I'm struggling with the distance issue. So I'm quite curious too, to hear from other women in long distance who are making it work during engagement.... I applaud you, and want to know your secret!

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Wow this must really be hard, but if you love eachoter no distance can prevent it. Use skype and try to make plans to be together soon. I wish you all the luck

I bought our rings @

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine