master and mistress of ceremony

Online Users: 1,267 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

abouwman Posts : 2 Registered: 11/7/08
master and mistress of ceremony
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:32 PM

So I've been asked about having a master and mistress of ceremony, but I don't really know what all duties that entails, I don't want to ask someone to do it until I know what it is I'd be asking them to do. I've gotten alot of mixed responses as to what the "job" duties would be, I don't have a wedding planner, but I'm having a dj so he will be announcing stuff like the cake cutting, bouquet/garter throwing, etc, but would it be helpful to have someone do it? I've also heard it's not a super common thing, apparently only in the Grand Rapids/ western MI area, so again, is a master or mistress of ceremony necessary?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: master and mistress of ceremony
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:15 AM Go to message in response to: abouwman

Dear Abou,

I actually think an MC is a good idea. That person knows what should happen, and when, and they keep the event moving along. Many times the DJ is the default MC simply because they have a microphone.

I think it's a bit nicer when someone who knows the couple takes on those duties. There are stories about a DJ getting things mixed up. One of the worst I witnessed was when a rather straight-laced couple got to the point where he takes off her garter and tosses it. The couple wanted something fairly simple. She would hike up her dress a bit, he would pull the garter off quickly, then toss it. The DJ played "stripper" music and told him to use his teeth instead of his fingers to pull off the garter. The couple was very embarrassed, and it made things uncomfortable for the guests as well.

seitzysbride Posts : 39 Registered: 10/14/08
Re: master and mistress of ceremony
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: abouwman

In our area we also have masters and mistreses of ceremonies. They are usually in charge of the wedding ceremony; making sure everyone is lined up properly, tells the BM's and flower girls when to go down the aisle, makes sure the brides dress is perfect as she walks down the aisle, etc. They are also usually in charge of getting the decorations to the reception hall from the ceremony site (flowers, etc), making sure the ceremony site is secure before leaving for the reception, helping with placement of all these things at the reception, etc. Then usually the dj takes over the reception.
At least thats what we usually do around here!!!!!!
www.kiventureresort.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine