DJ Price?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
DJ Price?
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 9:40 PM

I just posted yesterday asking how much you pay your officiant. So sorry for all the price questions but we're trying to set our budget. The DJ service we love charges $595 for 5 hours. It includes reception planning meetings, unlimited music selection, full sound including subs if needed, drop screen options, LED & laser lighting for dance floor, fog and/or bubbles.

So I was just wondering if this was a good price? This company is the best in town & I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've asked A TON of questions and they've always emailed me back promptly with helpful information.

Also, if $595 is a good price ... how much do we tip the DJ? I was thinking $50-100 for 5 hours of work. But wasn't sure...

EDIT: I'm reading the contract for the company and under price there is a small line that says tipping your DJ 10% - 20% is not neccessary, but is greatly appreciated. So that's my answer. 20% for $595 is $119 and 10% is roughly 60. So I think a $100 tip is fair. Still have questions if $595 is ok though.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

Message was edited by: KJsGirl

LNC Posts : 42 Registered: 6/30/08
Re: DJ Price?
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

It sounds like a good price to me, but vendor prices vary considerably depending on your location.  We're paying $1000 for ours and it was about average for the DJ's we got quotes from in Madison, WI.

To see if it's a good deal you can either get quotes from other DJ's in your area or ask other brides in your area (theknot.com usually has decent local boards).

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: LNC

thanks. im in missouri

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Sounds like a good price to me, but I'm in CT. We are paying $1200 for our DJ (and they were relatively cheap), check the contract for if you have to provide a meal for them also. We get 50% off vendor meals, but we still have to figure that into our head count. 

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

$595 is pretty standard for my area, too (Western NY).  We did see one guy at a Bridal show who charges $1200 and that seemed crazy to me!! 

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

That's probably fair in your area.  I'd kill to be paying that for a DJ, which is what I wanted, but having a big band was really important to my mom (I really have no idea why), and she wanted to pay for it, so finally I gave in.  We're paying about ten times that in Chicago.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

thanks for the tip about seeing if we were require to serve our DJ a meal. I've read through every document the company sent me (prices, contract & explanation of service, and wedding & song gudie). There is mention of the tip but there is no mention of providing a meal.  

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I told mine to feel free to eat but we were paying for 25 more people than were coming!  He was touched, said most brides don't think of feeding them.  Most will bring a bag lunch or if they frequent the venue (as mine did) the venue usually feeds them SOMETHING.  It is a nice gesture if you can afford to do it.  For us it was $20 and so yes, we made sure he ate!  Looking back though I wonder if my DH tipped him!  OOPS!  We did let him go 45 minutes early though....so perhaps all is well!  

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

oh, i'll certainly make sure he/she gets something to eat! while everyone is having dinner, i'd like some soft music playing in the background. so i figure the DJ can put something on while the guests are filling their plates, and then he/she can get  a plate of food. We're having a buffet style so feeding one extra mouth is not a huge price difference.

I just appreciate the fact that I don't HAVE to pay for the DJ to eat. If that makes any sense.

FinallyAMrsToBe Posts : 98 Registered: 1/14/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I'm just starting the DJ process right now and I'm finding that prices in my area are much more expensive.  For the basics (a DJ, an MC, and music) we're going to pay $1000+ at the cheapest.  This doesn't include lights, or anything special. So I think that $595 sounds great!!!

Montereybride08 Posts : 494 Registered: 1/25/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 2:36 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyAMrsToBe

As someone already mentioned, it depends in great part on your location. In my location the avereage for 6 hours seemed to be closer to $2000. We ended up paying $1395, and a meal, which we were of course happy to provide. I think we tipped him $150. He was totally AWESOME though. I think that $595 for all that you are talking about is a steal. : )

IMG_4503.jpg

More than we could have imagined...10/18/08

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 3:16 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ, I am in missouri too. I have noticed a lot of DJs (although I didnt look around a lot) charged between $500-$600. However, I found a DJ service that charged $450. And the DJ I am going with charges $400, but since the DJ's wife is a good family friend they are giving us a $100 discount. So technically $300.

I think it depends on where in MO you live. If you are in our around Kansas City and STL things are going to be more expensive. I am in the middle where things are moderate. And I think in much smaller areas things are less.

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 4:33 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I live in Iowa and am paying $120 an hour for however many hours we use them is up to us.  so that sounds like a good deal.  I am originally from Kansas City and my best frined is getting married there in April.  She paid in that price rang for an amazing DJ.....so I would say it is a great deal! My biggest part to consider was is 5 hours enough music.  We are having an outside wedding though and needed music for that plus reception/cocktail hour so we went with someone that charged a flat by the hour rate. 

hearts2halo Posts : 34 Registered: 11/12/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

$595 is average for here in Tx but on the pricey side from what I found when I was booking mine. We got him for $400 and that includes the price of him coating all the trees in white lights at the reception!! There was no hour limit on him, but we will only have about 4hrs for the reception either way. The wedding is at 6 and we have the place until 10. I think $595 is a good price.

www.weddingcountdown.com

futue.jenn.parr.googlepages.com

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 2:40 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

If you are in springfiled that is an excellent price for a DJ.  One of my good friends just got marreid there and that sounds like an excellent deal from when her and I were discussing prices that she was looking at. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine