San Francisco Bay Area Wedding

Online Users: 1,291 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

ImFeakingOut Posts : 2 Registered: 11/13/08
San Francisco Bay Area Wedding
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:27 PM

I'm really new to this whole planning thing and need major help. I have a small budget but I'm getting married in one of the most expensive areas in the country!

I would like to have an outdoor wedding this summer. Any ideas??? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

The long journey from the boy I loved to hate to the man I hated to love...

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Re: San Francisco Bay Area Wedding
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

Check State Parks, I beilve the permits to have an event in state parks is pretty resonable. Also if your crafty, or have crafty friends/family do a lot of DIY's such as boquets, center peices, ect.... Also sit down and decide what is really inportant to you you can not live with out ie, photographer, flowers, whatnot. Then figure out what you could live with out to cut costs. Also a big factor is how big is your guest list?

Megan0071234 Posts : 71 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

I live in the bay area as well. First you have to decide what is most important to you. How small is a small budget in your mind- 2k or 10k? How big is your guest list? Would you be willing to have lunch, cocktails & appetizers, or a dessert only wedding reception? Do you want to have a lavish affair for 100 or a small & quaint ceremony for 30? I do some wedding/ event planning on the side & would be happy to help you. You can message me. I am getting married outdoors & found a few great places.

ImFeakingOut Posts : 2 Registered: 11/13/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: Megan0071234

The most important thing to me is having my family there. Between both of our families we have about 100 people. I was thinking about doing a dessert reception because I am known for being addicted to sweets and I  thought it might fit with my personality. But I can't think of a time of day when people would really want that.

Oh and are there really any state parks around? Besides like Yosemite?

photoplanner Posts : 1 Registered: 11/14/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

I am wedding photographer, and I did wedding in local state park.

http://picasaweb.google.com/racerkit/DavidDonna?authkey=Oe_-s5EcXoM#slideshow

Megan0071234 Posts : 71 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

ImFeakingOut wrote:

The most important thing to me is having my family there. Between both of our families we have about 100 people. I was thinking about doing a dessert reception because I am known for being addicted to sweets and I thought it might fit with my personality. But I can't think of a time of day when people would really want that.

Oh and are there really any state parks around? Besides like Yosemite?

I don't know where you are, but you can google "getting married in a California State Park" it takes you to a link that tells you all the places in N. CA that you can have a wedding. Also Santa Cruz county has some nice parks as well - Highlands & Quail Hollow. We almost did it at Highlands, but decided to splurge for where we really wanted. If you did like an evening wedding - maybe 7-8pm, then people might like the dessert & drinks idea. You could just put on your invite that they should eat dinner first. I think that would be fine in July, since it doesnt get late until late, you could plan a sunset ceremony or something like that.

sweeneysound Posts : 4 Registered: 4/1/08
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

I hear ya on SF being expensive! It's going to be quite a big amount for our event. We've just done our best now and then to get friends and family involved. That's probably been the most helpful and sweet for me. Our reception will be at a yacht club that my parents joined a few years ago. It's extremely expensive (which comes along with a lot of guilt), but at least as members they get the place's very expensive site fee waived, which is probably around $3000 saved, as well as a willingness for the caterer and bar staff to work with our budget. Pork loin instead of beef medalions, and tricks like that! And for my folks, they're so happy to get to show off their club as hosts for their friends, so it's a meaningful location for our family. Other local vendors may have known my family for ages and have been striking deals, so we kind of call that the 4th generation san franciscan "home field advantage" which non-locals may not get to enjoy if they want a big nor-cal wedding. Then come in the friends... My bridesmaid's mother is a wedding gown seamstress and she and her daughter have been really helpful with getting deals on gowns and offering to do all the alterations. My Dad has a buddy who is a classic car mechanic who happily and proudly accepted the request to be our driver in his 1932 Cord Sedan, ready to wax it and get it ready to show it off! My fiance will then take over with his own 1965 Mustang as our get away car, a car he's worked on and restored since high school. We got a great 1930s band for a discount since they have known my folks for a long time. My high school choir teacher is slated to help with ceremony music, the priest is also a long time family friend, and the ceremony at the family parish, so lower site fees there, too. I've signed up some of my film school students to be our videographers, and another friend who specializes in low-light club photography to help take photos at the latter part of the reception after the professional portait photographer leaves early -- saving us a few hours of expensive photography. My brother is a professional MC for SF clubs, so he's gladly accepted to help be the host on the mic at the reception, telling jokes and announcements and stuff like that. My little brother is a talented street painter, very knowlegeable on art, and he was very helpful as my 'cake tasting buddy' when it came time to work with the cake decorator to decide on the best design for the wedding cake. My future Mother in Law is an arts and crafts person so she's been ready to go with any decorating project I even mention, ready to rush off to buy more ribbon and fancy paper from her favorite secret wholesale locations! I guess what I'm saying is, you can really do a very fancy and beautiful event if you just look to your friends and family for their talents and expertise, rather than trying to do it all yourself or overpay for people who you don't even know. And here's the really important part about that... They want to help. Your friends and family want to be involved and part of your wedding, not just bored observers. So long as everyone's cool with their wedding day "job" and not too much of a bother about it, and you pay what's appropriate to compensate for their services, then use their help, delegating task by task, and enjoy all the love!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: ImFeakingOut

ImFeakingOut wrote:

I'm really new to this whole planning thing and need major help. I have a small budget but I'm getting married in one of the most expensive areas in the country!

I would like to have an outdoor wedding this summer. Any ideas??? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyway you can get married in someone's backyard?

Mrs. Pinky

glitter-graphics.com

Our Wedding Website 

lupitasocal Posts : 1 Registered: 9/21/09
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I may be too late in responding to your post but we are in the planning stages of our wedding and considered having our wedding & reception in the wine country. There are so many beautiful vineyards up in your area. There are a lot of family run places that do not charge outrageous prices for these typed of things. If you would like more details, let me know. Otherwise, good luck to you and here's to a happy, wonderful life together!
Salud!!!

Lupita R.
Wanting a baseball themed Chicago Wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine