Colors help!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

Aurora1974 Posts : 43 Registered: 3/3/08
Colors help!!
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:17 PM

First let me start out by saying that I am color coordinated challenged.  I have no idea what colors go with what, so I always keep things really simple.  I have chosen Royal Blue (cobalt, sapphire, whatever the designers decide to call it at any given time) and Ivory as my colors to keep things simple and I know those work together.  My problem is that while I think those are great and really say who I am, my mother and my sister keep making comments about what colors I REALLY should be having.  Normally I look to them to help me with things like this but now they are stressing me out.  Deep vibrant blue is my favorite color, so even though I contemplated other more fall like colors (my wedding's in October) I know I won't be happy with any other color.  I know that it's my wedding and their comments shouldn't matter, but now they have me all freaked out that I should put another color with the blue instead of the ivory, but I have no idea what.  Help!!!

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Colors help!!
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

I think you should go with what YOU want, not what others want.

Just for funsies, I went to Google images and typed in 'blue wedding bouquet'.  Guess what colors came up on the first two pages??  Yep, you guessed it, blue and ivory!!!!

My point is, don't let your family make you start second guessing yourself. 

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

blue and ivory are beautiful together. 

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

Okay, I found this website:  http://www.wedding-flowers-guide.com/blue-wedding-flowers.html

If you're really considering adding another color, they say to do orange.

----------------------

Blue wedding flowers are a popular choice for brides. We've done several wedding where we've successfully used a combination of blue and white flowers. You could also combine blue and orange flowers. These are complementary colors so the have a natural affinity for each other.

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

I think those colors sound lovely together! My BFF is doing cobalt blue and silver and ivory as her colors... I think that looks great together if you wanted to add a third color that wouldn't be overwhelming.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Blue delphinium bridal bouquet featuring white roses 

I love the way that looks!  I'm with Tobi- go for it.. goolge your colours and show them this is what you are GOING to do. Good luck!  

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I love the idea of a blue and white wedding! Maybe your family is worried about it looking too simple though? I don't know what the style of your wedding is (ex: country? sophisticated? beach themed?) but you could try to bring the colours together through pattern.

in this one they vary the shades of blue just a little:

here's a contemporary example of the orange mixed in:

is this the cobalt you liked? In this picture, they added in hints of a dark purple, just to add a tiny bit of variation.

I hope these ideas help! I love working with colour! :)

10/26/08 

Megan0071234 Posts : 71 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

Orange & blue look great together & it is kind of a fall color. I am having blue, green, & copper as my colors, but a different shade of blue (more midnight). You could also add another shade of blue or some purple as accents.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: Megan0071234

Do the colors you want. I'm doing dark eggplant purple and silver for a spring wedding because that's my favorite color (no pastels for me!). If you do want to make it more "fall-ish" add the orange, because that is blue's complimentary color. But ultimately, pick what you like.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

WOW - I soooooooooooo love this layout!

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: Megan0071234

I think these colors are ABSOLUTELY fine. My wedding colors are white and black, with royal blue accents. 

For example, this is the picture I'm giving to my baker, I think: 

If it's what you like - go for it. I think it can easily look elegant. 

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

isn't that super sexy nannette!?

10/26/08 

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 4:26 AM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

I am getting married in August 2009 and my colors are royal blue and silver.  I am going to be using sunflowers for my wedding flowers.  The yellow and orange is a very nice contrast against the blue and the silver pretty much goes with anything. 

You should really use wahtever colors make you happy.  I have noticed that in wedding planning everyone seams to forget that they are planning a celebration of love and gets entirely too caught up in what everyone else will think and trying to please everyone.  Do what makes you happy and whats fits you as a couple!

hearts2halo Posts : 34 Registered: 11/12/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

You dont have to put in an actual other color. My mother is a florist so I have been around the color thing my entire life!! Add other shades of dark blue, there are tons of flowers that fall into that category, and if they dont have that shade they can make it darker by dipping the stems in water with food coloring, thats how they make sunflowers orange or red!! Start with that and let the other stuff just kinda flow and match the flowers. It will be just what you want and maybe satisfy their need to add to YOUR wedding! Lol! It wont hurt to try and a good florist will show you what the flowers will look like before you make your final decision. 

www.weddingcountdown.com

futue.jenn.parr.googlepages.com

hearts2halo Posts : 34 Registered: 11/12/08
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: Aurora1974

Here are some examples, the first is a dark blue and ivory wild flower mix and the second is just dark blue hydrangeas just add some ivory stephanotis like in the 3rd pic and it would be beautiful!! This is a website I came across that has a bazillion ideas as does theknot.com http://www.wedding-flowers-and-reception-ideas.com/blue-wedding-flowers.html

www.weddingcountdown.com

futue.jenn.parr.googlepages.com

Message was edited by: hearts2halo

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine