DIY Brides & Brides to Be

Online Users: 1,333 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
DIY Brides & Brides to Be
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 10:14 AM

Hello there, I am going to DIY my invites, and thanks to Nalamiena's wonderful inspiration, I am going to do them from scratch (I have a lot of downtime) I would love to see all of your invitations, whether you made them from scratch, or even had a kit or what not.

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Re: DIY Brides & Brides to Be
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 10:46 AM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

I'm making my own invites from scratch also. I have the week between xmas and new years off, so I'm going to work on them then. I'm a professional graphic designer, so I'm hoping they will come out cool. I'm making a trifold with pockets and ribbon closure. I spent about $120 on supplies and paper, which saved a lot! Do you have pics of what you are doing? Are you DIYing anything else? I'm probably going to make menu cards/programs also, but I think that's it. The invites will be pretty intense.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

DIY projects:

Invites (Invite, Reception Card am thinking about printing it on the back of the invite unsure though, RSVP & TY)

Flowers (silk)

Favors (squares of tulle/organza....not sure yet, with M&M's in them with a ribbon tying it closed) 

Decorations for ceremony (Fabrics for Gazebo, and possible sashes around chairs or fans w/ ceremony programs...beach wedding)

Decorations reception (Organza fabric overlay for tables) 

We are having a cocktail & Dancing reception with displayed appetizers, so I'm thinking of making little cards to go in front of them to tell our guests what it is, and to avoid any accidental allergy emergencies.

I am making two reserved table cards (one for our family the other for us and our attendants) 

I've just started really looking into Invitation styles and found that I really don't like a lot of them lol. So next weekend I am picking up the supplies I'll need for them. FH really loves the idea of making them ourselves, so long as they don't get too complicated. So simple is best for us. We are expecting to make about 125-150 invitations, but the first one we'll make using a simple inkjet printer, after that one, we are going to kinkos or some other type of professional copy place. Next week is when we are going to Michaels and Staples to pick up some trial things. 

For those DIY Invite girls: 

Cardstock (Staples) 10.99 -15.29 for 250 sheets of Cardstock (in colors too)

Vellum (Staples) 7.29-37.29 for 50 sheets & 43.99-63.88 for rolls

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

Message was edited by: Thepalchers

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

This is too cool! I inspired a thread! hehe Here are my pictures of what I DIY'd:

centerpieces:

programs:

first/last page of the program:

menu cards:

little photosharing cards I put at the place settings:

placecards for the wedding party:

my aisle runner:

and finally, my invitations:

I'd be happy to help if anyone is interested in how I did any of these projects.  I was pretty proud! hehe :)

10/26/08 

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

cool! I can't see any of the pics though. I got a pretty cool book on amazon about DIY invitations. Although I didn't pick anything out of there, I did find it inspiring. I'm making the favors/place cards too. I got mini easels from an art store, and i'm putting the cards on there (i'm an artist..) But I think that's all we're going to do. I thought about doing my own flower, but the wedding is in the AM, and that might be difficult. Did anyone do DIY bridesmaid gifts? I'm thinking for part of mine, i'll make each of them a purse and a cd..

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

See Nalamiena is great!!! I dub thee DIY queen! lol. That Easel idea is GREAT Steff, very personal. 

I wanted to DIY a lot of the wedding a. because of our very tinie tiny budget ($3,000.00) and b. because at least I know I'll end up with something I LOVE!!!! and it's from me (& my FH in the invitation case)

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala, Apparently it's my week to pick your brain. I think you explained before, but I can't find it - how did you make your invitations? I'm not particularly crafty, but FH and I just don't like anything we've seen that we can afford. I'm sure there are a million links on the internet, but I figured you might have some sanity-saving tips. 

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala, I love your aisle runner! Is that embroidered?

Here's my DIY stuff for my wedding.

The invites...inkjet printed pocket invitations.

My unity candle!  Which is missing :-( I'm sad.  I spent all that time on the monogram and I have no idea where the candle disappeared to.

My Programs... This is the only pic I could find of it...

The centerpieces were not entirely DIY because we did have the florist assemble them, but my mom came up with the concept and bought everything, including the fish.  It was only a little extra to have the florist assemble them for us.  Saved us a LOT of time..

and...the table cards...

I also made my own card box but it was last min and I'm not proud of it by any means because it was so messy.  Printed my own thank you cards. 

I love DIY projects.  They're so fun to pull together. 

Photo's from the wedding:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/thetessaspace/?galleryid=64b8a77a78884dbca0fa0e7c30e8077c&trackingid=BTAGC&wf=share

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I LOVEEEEEEEEE the paper used for your invites and programs We2Heart

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

your invitations are beautiful! I love the paper too.. This is the paper i got, it will go through a laser printer and it's good quality (I got it from one of my work vendors, but it's the same price online):

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pages.php?pageid=511

They have envelopes that match too, but I couldn't find anything cool for the response envelope, so my big disappointment is white response envelopes (instead of silver).. do you think anyone would care?!?

I have friends who spent $3,000 on invites.. mine were $120!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

Wedding Invites (printed at home)

these were all destroyed be a flood in my old condo.

So I bought a new kit that I liked better, this was the final product. 

I made these myself but didn't end up using them.. the ivory was too white.

this is my card box I made

My Toss bouquet I made

My granddaughter's dress I made

These are the favor boxes I made and I did the pick-ups on my flowergirls dress and added roses.  The matchbooks I orderd. We painted strands of silver pearls -pale pink to hang from the candlelarbrahs.

So... go ahead DIY if you can.. have FUN

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Nanette, your stuff is pretty too! Personally, I LOVE your second invitations. Even though I'm sure it was tons more time and effort, I think they turned out fantastic. 

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

Thanks! The paper I used came from a scrapbooking store.  It wasn't the cheapest option, but I loved it too much to let it go.  After I did my invitations though, I found a suitable substitute later at Staples. Drat C'est la vie...DH and I loved our invites anyway.

Steff - I don't think anyone would mind the plain white envelope. :-P  Probably won't even notice with the cute paper that you are using! I love metallic colors.  So shiny!

Photo's from the wedding:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/thetessaspace/?galleryid=64b8a77a78884dbca0fa0e7c30e8077c&trackingid=BTAGC&wf=share

Message was edited by: We2Heart

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Nov 7, 2008 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Hi guys! Sorry for the late response. hehe

Thank you for the compliments! My aisle runner was traced with a felt tip marker painted with acrylic paints right on to the runner itself.  I was really happy with it. :)

My invitations were three layers. The first layer with a cardstock kind of material, then the second layer was cut 1/2" smaller in both directions(1/4" all the way around) , and glued to the first layer, and then the top layer was a clear vellum which I ran through my desktop printer.  I taped on the vellum layer with a little bit of double sided vellum tape (is very transparent) and then wrapped that ribbon around the corners like you would a package. 

The envelopes were made of a slightly heavier vellum that I cut out and folded.  I'd suggest just buying those though... they are so not worth the effort. lol  We also used a wax seal and a candle to seal them all! it was way pretty! :)

Nannette - that little grey and pink dress is TOO CUTE! You guys are some master DIY'ers too! I'd love to see pics of stuff in progress! :) 

10/26/08 

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Hey ladies, I am having some trouble picking out flowers. I am going to Michaels this weekend to get a few things to make a "test bouquet". My colors are marine, white & yellow. I LOVE Calla Lillies and since I am purchasing silks price is not an issue. I like Hydrageas and pretty much any tropical flower, growing up in FL half the flowers were in my grandmother's backyard lol. There are just so many possibilities it's getting hard to narrow them down, and figure what looks good with what.

I like this one 

Calla Lillie & Iris

Calla Lilly & Delphinium 

Anything BUT roses, imho they are such an overused flower (because of their low price) especially with having a beach wedding, I'd like to have the tropical flowers. Any input is welcome!

June 13, 2009
I will marry my friend, the one I will live with, dream with and love.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine