Where did you go to find your photographer?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

MariaLindaGarcia Posts : 5 Registered: 10/22/08
Where did you go to find your photographer?
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:41 PM

Hello,

When it was time to search for the photography services where did you go?  Referral, internet, magazine ad etc.  If it was the internet how was the search done and if it was a magazine ad which one?

Thanks

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Re: Where did you go to find your photographer?
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

I searched the internet for local photographers and then weeded them out by price and then met with four or five that had the style that I liked.  In the end we actually ended going with Bella pictures because they were referred to us by a close friend who had used them and we loved their pictures.  I think going with a referral from a person who has used the person they are recommending so you can see the full event captured.  My main concern with all the photographers that we met with was that anyone could take a few good pictures to show you but I really wanted someone that I was confident was going to capture the feeling of the whole day.  Sorry for the ranting but pictures were the most important thing to me.

Hope this helps and good luck!

preview image

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

Maria,

There are a variety of places brides locate their wedding photographer.  I assume that since you were conducting market research in another post, this is another research question to determine how to best spend your limited advertising dollars.  There are no magic one size fits all answers.  Brides come in all demographics.  You will need to determine the demographics of your target market and then understand how they shop for a photographer.  For instance, a high end bride will use a wedding coordinator to steer her in the right direction.  Meanwhile a bride on a tight budget could use "The Knot" or even Craig's list.  I'd be very happy to answer any questions you may have and share my insights about the business of wedding photography.  Please feel free to give me a call at (847) 910-9875 if you would like to talk.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

MariaLindaGarcia Posts : 5 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Hi Howard, thanks for your reply and your offer.  However, I am interested in reading the answers from the brides.  Thanks again.

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 9:27 PM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

I Googled Tampa Wedding photographers.  On about page 4, I found our photographer.  I liked her site.  She posted her prices online.  She was very friendly in person.  I'm very happy with our choice!

Under the 6 month mark...Finally!  Check out our site http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

November22Bride Posts : 397 Registered: 1/8/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

I used the internet mainly bridal web sites, it was easier for me to use bridal sites then to just Google photographer. With bridal web site you and narrow down your search by price that really make it easy to not get my hope up on a photographer that was way out of my price range.

My bio- http://prettyinpink120.googlepages.com/home

for sale bio- http://prettyinpink120.googlepages.com/salebio

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

While searching the internet, check out PPA.com (professional photographers of america) You can search for photogs there.

also don't forget the original search engine - bridal magazines :)   Modern Bride, Brides, Elegant Brides, etc. The should have web sites, but the mags are probably at your local public library or bookstore. Just browse the ads.  Good luck!

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My ceremony site provides a list of photographers who have worked there before. Since the lighting can be tricky in the chapel, we decided that we were ONLY interested in photographers who had shot weddings at our ceremony site before. (We recognized that we might be missing out on a couple good ones, but we just didn't want to risk it). 

I pretty much went down the list of 50-60 photographers and looked at each website. (It did help that the ceremony site's list noted which photographers had images of our venue on their website). 

Based on prices, quality of photos and quality of their website, I emailed about 20 photographers. The one I went with had been previously hired by my venue itself to shoot there (which we figured was a good sign). He was also in my price range and extremely responsive to email. We did a phone consultation since I'm an out of town bride. He's actually meeting with me and FH while we're in Raleigh next weekend to set up other vendors.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Kare! I didn't realise you're getting married in Raleigh! Aren't you in richmond? or am I thinking of someone else? :)

I'm living in a very small town/county that really only has one "photo studio"  but when I saw his work it was very... traditional.  I was looking for someone who could do more of a photojournalistic style.  I went to the local college and asked for names of graduates who were working in the photography business and he came up with one name, then I found another name through a friend.  It's really the only way to do it down here! :) 

10/26/08 

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala,

Even crazier than Richmond (so someone else maybe?). I'm up in Boston, but FH and I went to college in Raleigh. (Well, Durham actually, but Raleigh sounds so much nicer...sorry if anyone on the board happens to be from Durham)!

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:12 AM Go to message in response to: MariaLindaGarcia

I found mine at a few bridal shows I attended.  He is amazing.....we get to keep the copy rights to the photos so we never have to pay for a million copies for each set of family who wants them.  We took handouts from all the tables and met with about five.  We did not look at the price becuase I wanted to see what was so special about the super expensive ones and what they offered that the cheaper ones did not.  We ultimatly picked someone who we felt we were getting the best deal for the money and who we were the most comfortable with.  We sat and BS'd with ours for about a half hour not even talking about wedding stuff and then I knew he was the one becuase he would be a part of the wedding and not a stranger standing there taking pics. 

Raveneyes Posts : 3 Registered: 11/9/08
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

For anyone in New York or New Jersey, you can try Raven Photography. You'll be glad you did! Check out the myspace. :)

www.myspace.com/photosbyraven

Raveneyes Posts : 3 Registered: 11/9/08
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

For anyone in New York or New Jersey, you can try Raven Photography. You'll be glad you did! Check out the myspace. :)

www.myspace.com/photosbyraven

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine