DIY menu cards

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

FinallyAMrsToBe Posts : 98 Registered: 1/14/08
DIY menu cards
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 5:47 PM

My reception site doesn't offer menu cards in the package for the reception, but I thought it might be nice to do them myself as the guests will have 4 different options for the entrees. I also think they look nice sitting on the tables.

Has anyone made menu cards themselves? how did you do it? what did you use? where did you get the materials? any help is appreciated!

iluvbeingnluv Posts : 11 Registered: 3/23/07
Re: DIY menu cards
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyAMrsToBe

If you would like to email me, I can provide you with a template you can use.

GOOD LUCK!

Don't plan a wedding! Plan a future, and you will have a marriage with the beginnings of success!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyAMrsToBe

Our reception site did our cards for us but here's what I learned about menu cards

1. Use card stock as it is more durable and nicer looking than paper

2. Use a uniform size like 4x6 or 5x7 for ease of formatting and also to make it easier to find the card stock. You might want to get card stock first then decide on the size. Its a lot easier than tryng to cut them yourself.

3. One thing I didn't like about our menu cards is that the caterers didn't put the full description on the card. Rack of lamb is pretty self-explanatory but we also had 'Charleston Grill' and 'Flounder Boardwalk'. I think some people picked the lamb just because they knew what it was and then were disappointed to find out the grill was steak and lobster. Unfortunately I didn't notice on the menu card because I had a tastign and knew exactly what I was going to order without looking. If I had noticed that I would have made an announcement telling people what the food was.

4. The easiest way to present the card is to have it tucked into the napkin, on the plate. Its a really nice presentation, and people can't miss it.

5. Depending on what you are doing for beverages you may want to add it to the card if you have room. We had a 'limited bar' so we used a matching card just for beverages.

5. You can be creative with the descriptions. Instead of appetizer, entree etc we had "First Date, Courtship, Engagement, Marriage and Honeymoon". You can borrow those if you like :)

6. By doing your own cards you can match other written materials such as your invites, programs and/or thank you cards.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Tanis - I LOVE the "first date, courtship, engagement, marriage, honeymoon" idea - I'm totally stealing it :)

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

Yay somebody wants to steal my idea! I liked it because it suitable for a wedding and also chronological, but I don't think menu cards really have to be chronological as long as its clear there are a number of course and they will be served in a particular order. Couples could use favorite cities, towns or other locations, where they went on their first, second, third date (unless that was make out point!), favorite sports teams or whatever is relevant to them.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine