Dress Style for Older Bride

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

Katz25 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/24/08
Dress Style for Older Bride
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:21 PM

Hi ladies...I suppose most of you are all younger ladies...well I'm not.  I'm 52 years old and get married next year.  They say your never to old!!  Do you have any suggestions on a style of wedding dress I should get.  I just think, know I'm to old to wear the beautiful long flowing gowns like I've seen on these pages.  I was thinking knee length or tea length, but not much luck finding those.  I've never been married before and I want this to be special...but I have no idea about dresses for my age.  Any help would be appreciated.

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Re: Dress Style for Older Bride
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

Hi Katz, and welcome to the boards!  Congratulations on your engagement.  Where are you in TX?  I'm in Austin.

Well, regarding dress styles, you just have to search and search -- but the good news is, you can do it all on the Internet first, and then go to dress shops if you want.  For me, it was a matter of finding a dress that would not fight my short, not-at-all-skinny frame, and I found one online at Sydney's Closet. (http://www.sydneyscloset.com). My dress is the Contessa, and even though I'm 41, I feel great in it.  It fits perfectly.

If you like the long, flowing gown style, by all means go for it.  If you're looking for something more mature and elegant, maybe consider a mother-of-the-bride type dress?  Many of them are mid-calf length.

Have you found anything that appeals to you yet?

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

Welcome to the boards! I think you should wear whatever you want to wear. I don't think there is an 'expiry date' on believing that you deserve a long flowing gown if you want one. So what do you really want? If you want a tea length dress thats fine too, but I think I would ditch phrases like  "age appropriate" and exchange it for something bridal like "dream come true" or "hearts desire".

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

By Stephanie Allen

by Johanna Hehir

by also by Stephanie

Short Wedding Dress

here is a link I found it doesn'thave the dresses I posted on it but they have other ones.   http://www.bridalonlinestore.com/Collection/informal.asp?i=19846200611                             

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

Message was edited by: nanette927

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

Hi katz welcome to the boards.  I was 45 last year for my wedding, I wore a strapless aline gown with a train and veil.  I don't think 52 is too old to wear a gown if that is what you want to do.

If not that try the bridesmaid or mother of the bride dresses I am sure you will find something there.                     

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 12:44 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

KATZ-Congratulations! I agree never to old! And I also don't think your to old for any type of dress you want to wear. But while I was looking for Mother of the Bride dresses for my mom today (who is the same age as you) I came accross this dress that comes in white, diamond white, or I belive even Ivory that I think would make a gorgouse mature wedding dress

Iridescent Taffeta draped gown. Lace empire strapless bodice. Full A-line skirt with inverted pleat detail. Lace bolero jacket with 3/4 sleeves. Optional spaghetti straps included.    <br><br>Please note that the beading on color rendered styles may appear inaccurate. To view the bead pattern for this style, please visit an authorized Jordan retailer.

Its on jordanfashions.com in the catalina collection. Theres a lot more there to.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

What's "appropriate" is governed much more by the shape you're in and the formality of your wedding than it is by your age. If you're in great shape, you can go strapless, show cleavage,wear something form fitting, etc. If not, then cover up a bit more. As for color, really, anything goes. If you look great in white (and many brides, young or old, do NOT look great in white) and want to wear it, go right ahead. To give you some ideas, for my (second) wedding (33 years ago!), I wore a brown velvet suit with a floor length skirt (long was in then--if it were today, I'd do street length). A friend of mine (in her fifties and in great shape) wore a strapless, olive green ball gown for her wedding. Another friend (vow renewal) did the whole big white dress and veil thing. It's really up to you. Find something that you love and wear it with joy.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

dryden5 Posts : 330 Registered: 2/4/08
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: Katz25

Hey Katz Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the boards.  I think you shouldgo look at the shops in your area and see what you like on you.  If you like the foofoo dress go for it "ITS YOUR DAY" Your age has nothing to do with it.  there is no age limit on any of the dresses I tried on. LOL

Have fun enjoy yourself you have waited for this day make it what you want!.   BTW post a pic so we can all see what you decide please!

myspace wedding countdown

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

Welcome Katz! I'm 51 and was married this summer. I went through the same thing you are. I tried on a bunch of dresses that I though would like- starting with tea length. My daughter finally steered me to the dress I bought from David's Bridal.

Since I was paying (for me and my two girls) I wanted to keep it on the less expensive range of dresses. I agree with Myra as to your shape governing your choice vs your age. You need to go and just try on a bunch with an open mind.

Here is my dress

I received alot of compliments on it.

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Maggie you are 51?! Whatever you are doing keep it up! You look amazing. To the original poster, see look at Maggie she's 51 and she had her long flowy white gown.

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: Katz25

A lady on these boards who is close to our age wore this, and it was gorgeous on her. You just need to try them on, and see what works with your body! Good luck!

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

dryden5 Posts : 330 Registered: 2/4/08
Posted: Nov 1, 2008 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

You look awesome......I would have put you around my age 31 
myspace wedding countdown

kathypaul Posts : 1 Registered: 3/5/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I have been looking for the perfect dress. The dress in this picture is simply gorgeous. Can you tell me where I can find the designer?

Maudie Posts : 2 Registered: 4/18/09
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 8:59 AM Go to message in response to: luvathena

This is a gorgeous dress and I also bought it in ivory for my wedding and I'm 56. I also purchased a lace bolero and sheer fingerless gloves to wear with it. The bolero really dresses it up. It will bustle very nicely for the reception and looks like a elegant evening gown since the train is only lace, no lining. All the beading and sequins add a lot of glitz especially for evening. Then just a birdcage veil and a feather/ribbon fascinator (love that style) for my head.
the "mature" bride..who came up with that?Cry All those working in bridal shops,listen up:  Never assume who is the bride.  Always ask the "mature" lady shopping alone, "are you the bride" and you will always get a smile.  Kiss

Maudie Posts : 2 Registered: 4/18/09
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: Maudie

I purchased this dress at Alfred Angelo. It's in their destination collection. The photo really does not do it justice.

the "mature" bride..who came up with that?Cry All those working in bridal shops,listen up:  Never assume who is the bride.  Always ask the "mature" lady shopping alone, "are you the bride" and you will always get a smile.  Kiss

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine