Please Help?!?

Online Users: 1,259 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

lilmouse Posts : 14 Registered: 10/11/08
Please Help?!?
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 4:29 PM

I have a meeting next month with my coordinator at Disneyland. I have to have ideas to get things rolling. She suggested I bring pictures of things for inspiration when meeting with the cake people, the flower people, the decor people, and so on. My problem is I unlike most brides. I am finding, I don't know what I want. I haven't got a color scheme or a theme. So I am asking for help, ideas, share your weddings...anything at this point to inspire me. I don't want to wait till last minute and regret my decision later. I want to be 100% sure.

We are having the reception at Disney Animation...the experience at California Adventure park. I HAVE to use disneyland as my vendor for EVERYTHING...nothing can come in from outside the park.

What I dont want: Even though it is at Disneyland I don't want to inundate my guests with Disney Stuff. The pictures floating overhead will have different disney pictures on them. I don't want mouse heads everywhere and I don't want to pick a specific movie to follow. I want the decor to be subtle disney.

Things we like (to possibly help you guide me in a direction)...books/reading/writing...vintage stuff(20's 30's and 50's) and off beat fantasy/romance like the twilight series, camelot( I am highly obsessed with melin), and fairies(though this is more me than him). I collect the disney precious moments figurines.  I know that these aren't really disney-ish themes....but somehow, possibly they could tie into disney.

Upon brainstorming we came up with a few ideas, but don't know where to go with them...knowing they could tie into disney somehow. They are...

Once Upon a Time...as in story books(he is an english professor, I am a writer) not neccissarily ONLY happily ever after stories.

1929 ...the year mickey mouse was born...this is my favorite idea so far...but where to go with that theme?? I love the roaring 20's gatsby era.

And California Adventure...surf boards, board walks, woody cars(my dream car)...like the west side of park.(this is my least favorite idea so far.

Colors is another issue...My initial thought was to do Black and white, because the pictures hanging over head are so colorful. But my fiance isn't digging that idea. I thought white and silver, because that would go really well with the 1929 theme. My favorite color is topaz...and pink....but they don't look that great together. His favorite color is navy blue and gray/silver. The room is dimly lit, so light colors I think would work best.

I hope I can pull together some ideas...the brunch we are having was MUCH easier that this...we are having a mad hatter brunch...alice in wonderland theme.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.

"It all started with a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: Please Help?!?
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: lilmouse

Have you tried Googling for some info yet? I like your idea of a vintage/Gatsby wedding. When I Googled "vintage wedding," I didn't find much in the way of photos, but I did find these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Wedding-Simple-Creating-Romantic/dp/1930064020

The above is a book about vintage weddings that I saw listed on a couple of sites, available used.

http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/200406/vintagewedding01.shtml

The above link is an article that I thought had some helpful ideas.

The vintage wedding book may have all the images you need--who knows. But in the meantime, I would recommend doing some research on architecture, dress and decorating from that time if you need to, then maybe buy some wedding magazines and tear out pictures that match the images you have in your mind so you can show them to your wedding vendors.

I didn't check Martha Stewart's website, but I bet there would be good ideas and images on there, too. 

Maybe you could even encourage (though not require) guests to attend in 20s attire.

I think it's a cool idea. Keep us posted, and if you find some digital images you like, I'd love to see some if you want to post them.

lilmouse Posts : 14 Registered: 10/11/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I have been googling and searching sites for about 2 months now. Honestly...nothing has really JUMPED out at me. I guess I always just assumed I would know it when I saw it. And I havn't had that yet. The 1929 thing just came to us last night. So, I haven't even even started looking for that era stuff. UGH...i really had no idea there was such a vast amount of stuff out there. I thought it was all bells and doves voila you are done. O_o

"It all started with a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: lilmouse

Regarding colors.  Why not pick one of each of yours.

Pink / Silver

You don't have to have a 'theme' really. 

Since the locale already has disney decorations, and you don't want to go over the top, why not use your initials as a motif?

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: lilmouse

Here's a wedding inspiration board I found online with an art deco theme, which would go with the 20s. It may or may not have something useful for you:

http://bridalcheek.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/modern-art-deco/

Also, if you didn't already Google "art deco" under Google Images, try that.  I didn't realize it but peacock feathers were a thing back then. Since your FH likes blue and you were thinking black and white or silver, maybe you could do those colors and incorporate peacock feathers or something. Maybe you could at least print out some pics from Google images so the Disney folks could get a feeling of what you're looking for and maybe they'll be able to run with it.

Or black and silver with touches of pink could be really pretty. 

If you haven't done it yet, go poke around in the wedding planning section of a local bookstore and see if any of the books there have ideas or images you could use.

Message was edited by: HappyGirl13

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

BTW I do agree with Cat that you don't have to have a theme. We didn't have a theme and we just picked our fave colors for linens and flowers, and that was it. It probably made it easier that we were outdoors in a woodsy area so it didn't really need any embellishment, but if you could still keep things simple yourself and just go with your favorite colors as a "theme".

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

brides.com actually has a section where you can design your wedding cake. they dont have a whole lot of choices...but its where i found my colors at (and designed my cake from)! Also, go onto bridal dress websites and they have a bunch of colors you can pick for your dreses, that helped me too.

One of your fav colors is pink and one of his fav colors is silver. Why not do pink and silver as your main colors w/topaz and navy blue accents? It looks pretty in my head... And would also be very fantasy looking.

Hope that helps.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine