BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Re: Future Sister In Law mad about wedding date
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

She's being a retard. Keep your date. 

Just Married...9.20.08

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: ScottishBride09

Wow!  I think FSIL should just tell her she's getting a special trip for her birthday!  To a 3yr old just being on a plane is an adventure!  And I think you're being more than generous by offering to help plan a party for her!

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Um, yeah, I have to agree with everyone else...she's being ridiculous!  I mean come on...my mom got married 4 days after my 16th birthday, and I didn't get any special recognition at her wedding (other than being her maid of honor, but that had nothing to do with it being close to my birthday).  And you shouldn't feel that you have to throw your niece a party either...if you want to, awesome gesture, but you don't need to.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

I think it sounds more like she is mad that "she" won't be getting the attention than that her daughter won't.  A 3 year old won't care.  Our GM's daughter's first birthday is the day after our wedding and they don't seem to mind.

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

I think you hit the nail on the head, mobride09!  FSIL is probably mad that the attention is being diverted from her, not from her daughter.  She may have had visions of gathering the whole family for a party for her daughter's birthday, and now she's upset that instead she'll be traveling to the OP's wedding. 

To the OP: like everyone else says, ignore her and keep your date.  FSIL is being completely ridiculous, and will probably get over it when she realizes how stupid her complaint sounds.  Personally I don't remember a single birthday before age 5.  There are pictures to prove that I did in fact have a rather awesome 3rd birthday celebration (my b-day is close to Halloween, it was a costume party) but I don't remember it *at all.*  Her daughter will not be scarred for life to celebrate one birthday in Scotland 3 days before her uncle's wedding.

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: ScottishBride09

It's not like it's on the same day... tell her to get the heck over it. That's being a little overdramatic

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

Wow.  Just Wow.

Someone could plan their wedding for my DUE DATE and I wouldn't get mad!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: ScottishBride09

Wow- I don't care whose birthday it is or how old they are turning- 1, 3, 16, not even 21!- you get to choose when you want to have your wedding based on the variables that you have to work with (season preference, the schedules of key guests like your parents and close friends, availability of your venues, etc.) and if anyone has a problem with it then just say, "I'm so sorry you won't be able to come, we'll miss you".

That is so ridiculous- getting upset because your wedding date is NEAR the birthday of someone turning THREE??  What does your FH think of this?  After all, it is his sister and his niece- does he think she is acting crazy?

MrsReno Posts : 314 Registered: 12/21/07
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 1:47 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Hahaha! Linda Jo, you crack me up! Short, sweet, and to the point.

You should point this out to FSIL... How many kids get to say they had their third birthday in a gorgeous, foreign country? Seriously??

Not to mention when she starts school and teachers make you give interesting facts about yourself and all that junk on the first day, she can share that with the class.

If it were my daughter, I would personally be thrilled I could throw her a birthday party as well as celebrate the new addition to my family in Scotland!

♥Defy Gravitry♥

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 5:16 AM Go to message in response to: MrsReno

I think it's sometimes a fantastic idea for original posters (OPs) to print out threads and show them to the person who's having a problem with OPs. I've done that a few times! It gets the point across as well as relieves the OP of having to come up with the words.

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Click to See Our Photo Album and Vows Video

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine/?mediafilter=videos

ScottishBride09 Posts : 16 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 8:14 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Thanks everyone! She is just not speaking to me now, so whatever! It is not my fiance's sister, it is his brother's wife. No one can tell her anything, so if she wants to throw a fit then she does. She is a bit spoilt and is a "princess" (self declared). She threw a "princess" themed party for the girl's 2nd and spent almost $10K from their CC even though FBIL has had his hours cut back and they really can't afford it. Sooo...oh well I guess. We ARE keeping the date. We are going to get her a cake and some balloons and stuff for a small party. All of the cousins will be there so we can have a BBQ and a small birthday party. Nothing fancy, but enough for pictures and her to have a good time. I am not really doing it to try to make peace with FSIL, I'm doing it for the kid. 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: ScottishBride09

Dear SB,

"I am not really doing it to try to make peace with FSIL, I'm doing it for the kid. "

Good attitude. Go for it.

As the kid grows up with a self-centered mother, it might be good to have a Fun Aunt who provides a different role model.

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: ScottishBride09

I agree with you and aunt!  Do it for the little girl, not the Mom!  I can't imagine spending $10K on a BIRTHDAY!  That's what we spent on our WEDDING!  Wow FSIL has got her priorities out of whack!  And unfortunately little one will grow up just like her, spoiled!   Cry

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

10K ON A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR A 2 YEAR OLD?!?! Holy cow. I don't think we spent 10K on the wedding, honeymoon, e-ring, and wedding ring together! We even bought our BM dresses, and paid for at least half of the GM's tuxs, if not all of them (I honestly can't remember).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine