She didn't WANT an engagement ring.

Online Users: 1,235 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 16

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: She didn't WANT an engagement ring.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: Habsfan1282

I enjoyed having an engagement ring because it reminded me of my FH. We were dating long distance, really long distance across the continent. I actually felt bad for my husband because he didn't have one. He totally had ring envy. It was so bad that I actually did a reverse proposal for him on Valentines Day and he started wearing his wedding ring then because he just couldn't wait. I know in some European countries they have engagement rings for men and I think they should start that up in North America.

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Re: She didn't WANT an engagement ring.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I think it's cool she did something that is symbolic for them.

My thing is, it isn't the ring. I wanted a ring and my husband wanted to get me a ring because we both felt that was a way to symbolize our love for each other. (He's actually said if something ever happened to me, he would get a tattoo around his finger instead of wearing a ring because "I would want something permanent that would remind me of you every time I looked down. I could just take a ring off; a tattoo wouldn't be that easy.")

It isn't about what it is, it's about what it symbolizes. I can see how someone who has infinite ability to buy her own material stuff wouldn't find symbolism in a material thing.

But then, my grandfather's symbol of engagement to my grandmother was a hand-carved ivory, mother of pearl and turquoise hair comb. So it's all about perspective and what you personally want to symbolize your love and commitment, if anything at all.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine