She didn't WANT an engagement ring.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
She didn't WANT an engagement ring.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 2:47 PM

I saw this on the yahoo homepage and thought I'd share it.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/beyonce-finally-reveals-details-of-wedding-to-jay-z/14009?nc

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- After remaining tight-lipped about her marriage, Beyonce is at last speaking out about her wedding to Jay-Z.

"What Jay and I have is real. It's not about interviews or getting the right photo op. It's real," Beyonce told Essence magazine in its November issue.

The singer says she did not want an engagement ring.

"People put too much emphasis on that," she told the mag. "It's just material and it's just silly to me."

According to Essence, the R&B superstar wears a band over a tattoo of the Roman numeral IV, which is significant because both Beyonce and Jay-Z were born on the fourth day of the month and they were married on April 4.

The couple chose to have a small ceremony because Beyonce said she is not a "traditional woman."

"It's been my day so many days already," she added.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website 

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: She didn't WANT an engagement ring.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Mrspinky I think that's cool. I mean she's Beyonce, she can have as many big diamond rings as she wants, whenever she wants and buy them herself. So many celebrities have diamonds so big it looks like its a workout just to hold their hand up.

LilMrsSunshine Posts : 195 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I read this earlier online and I was like wow!! It is so true how people put so much emphasis on an engagment ring. Granted it's nice to have but at the end of the day if it symbolizes nothing behind it what's the point. Granted she can buy anything she wants and he could purchase the biggest diamond she could posisbly have on her hand but thats not what its all about! I'm excited for them to have kept there wedding and relationship so hush hush! I could only imagine how it would be to famous and have people in every aspect of your life. I have moments when i don't want my mother to know everything thats going on. So when you have the world at your window sill it has to be crazy!! I hope people let them keep there marriage to themselves and stop trying to be all in their business.

***SIDENOTE*** I found out this morning after reading this article that FH and I will have the same Wedding Anniversary has Beyonce and Jay Z! lol So not planned.

Soon to Be Mrs. Parker 4-4-09

www.melanieandjeramie.com

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

True. I just thought it was something you don't see everyday. I mean, I WANTED a ring. Even though I can go buy one myself if I want.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

Our Wedding Website 

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I hear you pinky, but I think its different for celebrities because there is so much emphasis on their rings. Whole newspaper articles devoted to it. I suspect she just wanted to cut all that crap out and focus on their relationship. I love my ring too but if I was famous I would probably have done the same.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Call me a materialistic brat... but I wanted one!..lol.. just kidding... I didn't care what my ring(s) looked like as long as it had a heart.(as I've said before). I even told hubby at one time "lets go get them tattooed!" lol... silly I know but I wasn't joking.  That is a neat story though, thanks for sharing!

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I wanted one too.

Unlike Beyonce, this diamond ring is my FIRST piece of bling.  I mean, really, they are Beyonce and Jay-Z.  There entire life is oversized -- what is one ring going to matter? 

Plus, they are pretty private about their relationship, overall.  A big multi-million dollar ring was only going to give them unwanted attention. (Remember J.Lo and Ben Affleck and the 18 million dollar pink diamond?)

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

MsD that's what I was thinking. If it was a large ring that would be the focus in the headlines, but if he got her something more 'moderate' the headlines would read "JZ going broke? Mogul gives Beyonce mini diamond". The story goes on to tell how she leaves crying" Of course she's crying, she just got engaged!

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I must have missed the 18mil pink diamond!!! Where is there a pic of this!?

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

Our Wedding Website 

laneyliz Posts : 36 Registered: 7/19/08
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: laneyliz

Hello mrspinky!

My old ring sort of lost it's flavor for the meaning-I mean from the ex. He gave it to me time and again and I threw it back in his face so many times.

Until Dean came along. It was really very extra special because he went with his Dad to pick out my ring!  There's your family thing!

Thanks for sharing, mrspinky. 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Click to See Our Photo Album and Vows Video

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Mrs. Pinky, that is a very nice article.  Sometimes, I wish I could be as un-materialistic to the point of not wanting a ring.  What Beyonce did was pretty commendable, considering what they have to "live up to."  I guess she really didn't need it either because for her b-day, JayZ gave her a really expensive car; I think it was in the upwards of $100,000 and she does the same for him on his birthdays.  I guess if I was Beyonce I would probably find it wasteful to spend the big buck$ on one piece of jewelry.  Either way, good for her.  I'm glad she's keeping things private.  Maybe she's taking a cue from Janet Jackson.  When her second marriage went bust, it was a shock because nobody knew she was married or had been married for a good 10 years. 

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 10:33 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

mrspinky,

I read this earlier too.  I was happy that they have finally come out about this whole thing.  I am happy for them...however they choose to show their love.  But I'd think a tatoo on my ring finger would hurt.

"And there you go!!" Said the ULTIMATE old hag...

I'm fresh out of tickers.  Kiss

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 7:54 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

i was going to post this too last night but then i didn't.  good call!

i wonder if that link that was posted really is her wedding ring because if so it kinda discredits her comment IMO seeing how it is a 5 million dollar ring!

personally i definitely wanted an ering!!  i have always wanted an ering.  growing up i never had dreams about a fairy tale wedding but i always dreamed about being engaged.  the ring and when the man of my dreams would ask me to be his wife!  being married and having a loving marriage and happy family is something prized in my mind.  of anything i can accomplish in my life nothing could give me more satisfaction than marrying well - and by well i mean for love and happiness!!  rings are a symbol of marriage and that is why i have always awed them.  my wedding jewelry is my dearest possession. if i lost it though i would not be upset we would just get another set.  i love it because it symbolizes marriage with my husband and that is what is so exciting and great about it.  slipping on a ring and knowing that i am married to the man i couldn't live without!!

i am all for the jewelry Laughing

Habsfan1282 Posts : 146 Registered: 5/28/08
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I didn't want an engagment ring either.  We picked out our rings together and I won't wear it until THE day.  I get funny looks when I'm trying to plan stuff and people automatically look at my hand and see it is bear.  It's my choice as well as Beyonce's.  Whatever works for you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine