NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 2:09 AM Go to message in response to: SeasideBride06

Seasidebride, if only you were a beuty pageant queen, then you would be perfect!

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 8:40 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Off topic - OJ Simpson has got to be the biggest DA (Dumb Ass) in the world!  I mean let's give the man a reward.  He's an idiot!  Oh, well, maybe jail will do him some good.  Don't drop the soap!

I like to move it, move it! She likes to move it, move it! He likes to move it, move it! We like to...MOVE IT!!!

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Yes, OJ is a dumb ass, Probably KING of the Dumb Asses he deserves whatever he gets this time.

Back on Topic.  Seaside Bride do you plan to become a mom at some point, do you come from a long line of teachers, and most importantly are you gonna talk to Joe Six pack, that's important doncha know?

If that's you, you got my vote.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I read a comment on another board which I thought was one on the craziest reasons yet for not voting for Obama.  He is half black and Half white and he does not even relate to his white half, he only embraces the black half. 

Now correct me if I am wrong but doesn't he embrace both halves?  Isn't he usually put down because of the black half and not the white half.  Someone tried to explain to the idiot that you he does not do that.  He happily claims both sides of his heritage, but no go an ass is an ass no matter how educated it is.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I hope that OJ Simpsons conviction on SOMETHING - all these years later - somehow, someway, gives the Nicole Brown family and the Ron Goldman family some sort of peace. I feel soooo bad for those people, especially whenever I see Goldmans dad talk. He is just one hurt and pained man and very bitter - and rightly so. If OJ finally goes to jail, even though it has nothing at all to do with the murders - maybe it will give them some peace. Thats my hope. And yes, OJ is a total ASS. How ironic is it that he gets off a murder rap, but goes to jail 5 years to life maybe for a robbery to get his OWN things back? (not saying it was right that he robbed these people, but it is kind of funny that he gets caught and put away for THAT!!! Not murder? Hmm, okay....)

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Re: Debate tonight
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

OKAY - NOW I NEED YOUR HELP. MrsD - Cyndi - Myra - and anyone else out there who I know to be very politically intelligent and also somewhat to very knowledgeable on Barack Obama specifcally. Please help me to respond to this email I got today. Let me explain - this man; a longtime friend of our family who is in his 60s and a VERY conservative republixan and also can be somewhat racist (although sometimes he doesnt think he is being racist but he is ...)- anyway, he is constantly sending out these friggin emails to me and a bunch of us about Obama. Smearing him basically. SAying stupid crap about him, mainly untrue myths , lies, the usual stuff that goes around on emial etc. (liek that hes a Muslim, he wont pledge the American Flag, all that stuff we have all heard...) Most times I just write him off because I know the emails are lies and I tell him that. But this email he sent today - it confuses me and Im not sure how to respond to him  this time. I want to let him know that he needs to stop sending me this crap, but with this one Im not sure what to say simply because I dont know enough about Obama to konw if this stuff is TRUE , fabricated, exagarrated, taken out of context, or what? And also, if teh quotes are real, does it matter? ANd also, Im unsure entirely what the POINT is of these statements other than of course again to say that Obama is secretly Muslim and I guess to also say that he hates White people??/ I dont know. Someone please explain to me these quotes which are supposedly from his book and tell me what to say to this asshole because Im sick of him sending me this crap but I dont want to write him back and not know what the hell Im talking about LOL. If I wrote him back now, it would be "Oh yeah??? Well Sarah Palin is DUMB! So HA!!!" And thats not very intelligent LOL.

I have pasted the email below. Thanks so much.

FORWARD TO ALL YOU CAN

Why is all of this going unnoticed by the media????  They send 1000 reporters to Alaska to dig up something on Sarah Palin and they have this right in front of their eyes!

From Dreams of My Father:'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'
 From Dreams of My Father : 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

From Dreams of My Father: There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father:'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

And FINALLY the Most Damning one of ALL of them!!!

From Audacity of Hope:'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

* If you have never forwarded an e-mail, now is the time to Do so!!! We CANNOT have someone with this type of mentality running our GREAT nation!!  I don't care whether you a Democrat or a Conservative. We CANNOT turn ourselves over to this type of character in a President. PLEASE help spread the word.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Message was edited by: kelleyiskelley

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, since I have not read the book, I cannot know whether the quotes are real or not. However, any single sentence, taken out of context, is pretty meaningless, anyway (or ALSO, as Sarah Palin would say). You could run them through a fact checker,like Factcheck.org or one of the others. But, that's almost beside the point. Obama has written extensively about his search for his own identity, and part of that had to do with his racial identity.He has written of his youth. Nobody, including him, is the same person that he was at 12 or 20 or even 35.

As far as the person you write about (or people like him)--you will never convince a bigot not to be a bigot. and, if this person can believe such things as Obama is a Muslim, with all the information to the contrary that is available, the you're never going to convince him to change his mind. I have had a couple of people in my life who have tried to send me this crap. I simply tell them that I am a Democrat, I am voting for Obama, that I find the stuff they're sending me to be offensive and untrue, and to please stop. If they don't, I block their e-mails. I have one good friend who is a Republican with a sense of humor (an oxymoron if ever there was one). He sends Repub. propaganda to tweak me, and I send it back red-lined and with sarcastic retorts added. As of this moment, by the way, he's "undecided," which for him is a big move. So, if I contributed onlittle bit to that, I'm pleased.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Kennys - wasn't Obama raised by his white grandparents (or something).  I thought he was raised in a white household...so wouldn't it be kinda impossible to "deny" his white side?

That said, I think it's irrelevant.  I have a friend who is half white, half black, and she mostly identifies with the black half.  Why?  Because when people look at her, they see that she's coloured, and classify her as such.  So why isn't she allowed to classify herself the same way?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Yes, Birdlover that is true and I am not the one that said this I think it is a stupid thing to say.  All biracial children are black at least according to some very old laws. 

Kelley I have just started reading Dreams from My Father.  I will see if I can find the context from which those sentences were taken.  If they were said I am sure they were said in a different context entirely

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Right. Especially the one about standing with the Muslims - that HAS to be some quote taken out of context. But again, I dont want to write back to this loser until I have the FACTS. I tried looking on factcheck.org and while I found SOME stuff about Obama, I couldnt find the quotes from the book. I just wish I knew more about this but I dont. I just know that it has to be some kind of slander and misrepresentation - and honestly, I dont really see anything horribly wrong with any of the quotes other than the last one anyway. They just sound like they are from a boy who is confused and trying to find out his identity as Mrya suggested. And I know I cant change a bigoted mind - but Im just so sick of all these emails calling him Muslim and saying false things and then people BELIEVE that stuff and they wont vote for him just because of stupid crap they hear. It makes me mad because people in my own family will do that. "Oh I heard he was a Muslim - oh did you hear he wont salute the flag." And I yell at them and tell them to GET THE FACTS. But they dont. Its just easier and lazier to believe what other people tell you. Makes me so mad.

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:10 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Snopes ( a web site that debunks urban myths) has a page on this at http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ownwords.asp

Essentially, the quotes are taken out of context and some of them aren't actual quotes.

Regarding standing with Muslims, he never actually talks about Muslims, but mentions Arab and Pakistani Americans. The passage talks about not letting inflamed public opinion strip citizens of their rights, as was done to the Japanese Americans during WWI.

As for the person who sends you these e-mails, I might remind him that he's entitled to his own opinion, but not his own set of facts.

As for my VP candicacy, I've thought of another qualification: My husband has a small percentage of Native American blood (and not ordinary blood, but Princess blood!!). But no, I've never been a beauty queen, am not a mom and have no plans to become one. Am I disqualified?Frown

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:19 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I am so tired of the Obama being a Muslim comments. First of all I believe his fater was (correct me if I am wrong that is just what I have heard). But just because one of you parents is or was Muslim does not mean you have to be. And why is being Muslim a bad thing? We all look like a bunch of red necks in this country because of the people who are going on about Obama being Muslim. It is basically saying that we think he is a terrorist because he is Muslim, which is just flat out pathetic.

And I dont get how Obama is more black than white or cares about one over the other. First of all it is those close minded people who are complaining who would consider Obama as black before they would white even though he is both. That is because these people see those of a mixed race and take the race the look most like (usually based off the dark skin) and judge them. It is one thing to assume Obama is all black because yes his skin is dark, but it is another thing to accuse him of only identifying with that side. I am a white female and can understand how things can be very unfair STILL for minorities like African Americans and I would love for those things to change and I do see how African Americans or other minorities need a chance to have programs and help put in place. It isnt fair to live in a world where based on skin there are still people who will not give you the opportunity you deserve. White people do not have to go through that here. I am white and I can admit that, I do not need to have a black side of my family to identify with to understand that. And why can't Obama identify well with his black side, it is those people who are too biggoted to understand mixed race who start this trend. Those people lump him into being black and ignore how he is part white as well, therefore, I am sure while growing up Obama might have felt more black because he looked it and that is how I am sure a lot of other people treated him.

However, I do believe that Obama grew up with a lot of white family and friends so he had that influence as well. I have to admit though that people are people and there can be cultural differences in things, but either way black or white the people he grew up with and around and who he can identify is nothing bad because like Palin and McCain he has known good and bad people.

I am just so sick of those rants. Who says that you have to be a certain race, gender, or religion to be president? I cannot believe people out there are trying to put down Obama based on those different things. Did he has to be born to a white and black family? No. And it doesnt even matter. I am sick of the mentality that only a 50-60 year old white Christian male can be President of the United States. Lets branch out and choose someone based on what good they can do for our country, not their skin color, what church they go to, if they stand or sit to pee, and what ethnic backgrounds they have in their family. If someone is truley bad for our country as a leader it will be shown in what they say and do and what they are willing to do for the country, not by the criteria so many republicans and McCain supporters seem to be looking at.  

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:24 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

...and another thing. The title of the book is Dreams From My Father, not Dreams Of My Father. How accurate can the rest of the e-mail be if it doesn't even get the book title correct?

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley,

I have both books.  The e mail you got is the one that precipitated my finally writing back to my FIL.  He sent it to me.  This was my response.

I received your message and I have both books.  If you would like to know what the books really say, in context, let me know.  

The reply back from him was rude, and he then refused to speak to my DH for about 3 weeks.

I haven't read through the books yet, but I can guarantee the quotes are out of context AT BEST.  I'll look a little to find something similar, but am super behind with work right now.

They are originating throughout the bigot network, and those people will not believe the truth anyway.  I do know obama isn't a muslim, but personally I kind of wish he was.  I'm sick of our country being run by right wing evangelicals who want to create a theocracy.  Anyway, the e mails are not new so should not have any more persuasive effect than they have over the past year.  

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Did ya'll see the SNL skit for the debate?  I think my favorite bit was "And this is for all you Joe Sixpacks out there playing a drinking game:  Maverick"  (Though "Isn't it time for the talent portion?" was pretty close.)

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine