Who gets corsages and boutonnieres?

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

mrsfitz Posts : 10 Registered: 8/19/08
Who gets corsages and boutonnieres?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:36 AM

I need advice....I know my mother and my FH's mother should get corsages, but what about my stepmother? She's only been married to my father for 5 years and I'm not close to her. Also, my mother is in a relationship with a woman, and has been with her for the same amount of time. If I get my stepmom a corsage does my mom's partner get one too? Same with my stepgrandmother. Does she get one, since my grandfather is getting a boutonniere? (Obviously, everyone in my family is divorced!)

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Re: Who gets corsages and boutonnieres?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: mrsfitz

We gave his stepmother one. That would be nice of you guys to acknowledge your mothers significant other and give her one too. In my opinion- I would make sure they ALL had one, you can't go wrong. Good luck

******JUST MARRIED!******                         

Check out my ALBUM to see ALL photos

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

because my wedding is so small, I'm really only giving them to the people who are participating in the ceremony.  That means: groom, groomsman, my dad, and that's it. I had to cut down flower costs somewhere, and if the cutoff wasn't there then it was going to get wayyyyyyyyyyyy out of control. lol

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: mrsfitz

I don't think you have to, but I'm sure it would be a lovely gesture to give both of your parents' new partners a corsage. At most of the wedding I've been to, the mother's corsages have had two or three roses on them. Maybe you could have two roses on your mother's corsages and one on your stepmother and mother's partners? That way you're acknowledging them as part of your immediate family (or whatever they signify), but you still get to single out your mother. Or, do a red rose for your mother and white ones for your parent's significant others. 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I like karebear's suggestion.  I did something similar.

mrsfitz Posts : 10 Registered: 8/19/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I like your idea of making the mothers' corsages slightly different, and perhaps with more flowers. Part of my dilemma is my tight flower budget, so this could really work. I suppose everyone is right in that I should give all of them corsages and not exclude anyone. Thanks!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: mrsfitz

You could also do different colored ribbon that would be nice too.

But I agree with acknowledging them all.  But hear you on the tight flower budget.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: mrsfitz

We had a small budget but got our flowers for free. Either way we only gave corsages and bouts to:

Groom

Groom parents (they are divorced w/ no partners)

Groom grandparents (only 1 set were able to make it)

Bride's parents (consisted of mom & stepdad, dad didn't show)

My grandparent's (either set) showed.

so all and all: 4 bouts and 3 corsages

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: mrsfitz

at mine, all the groomsmen, DH, the dads and my grandpa and the ushers got boutonnieres. 1 of my aunts was our guestbook attendant so we gave her one too.

both mom's got corsages, as did my grandma and my step grandma (who ive met like twice).

id say you can't go wrong with giving them something little.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

In our wedding FH's step-mom and dad are getting corsages and boutonnieres. That is because they have both been in FHs life for a while. Fh's step-mom is helping pay for the rehearsal dinner so I think a corsage is the least I can do for her. I would say that you should give corsages and boutonnieres to those you are close to, but if you do decide to give one to one step-parent it might hurtful to not include the other. If you are wanting to cut on flowers then I would suggest just giving corsages and boutonnieres to biological parents and grandparents. However, I have also been to a wedding where each woman (bridesmaids, mom, stepmom, grandmother, and step-grandmother) got a single rose and the men (step and biological) got boutonnieres. I think the single flower for each person made things cheaper, it also cuts out on design costs for the corsages.

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I have step parents as well. We gave them corsages/ boutonnieres. I would give one to your stepparents/ stepgrandparents. Its a nice gesture.

Just Married...9.20.08

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine