Honeymoon?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

TickledPeenk Posts : 175 Registered: 7/19/07
Honeymoon?
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 1:33 AM

I was just wondering today... would you/are you planning on/did you wear your weddings rings on your honeymoon?  

I guess it would depend on where you were going.  FH and I are planning on going to Disneyworld or Disneyland.. should I just wear them (because I know I would hate to part with them) or would it be a better idea to leave them at home?

SoontobeMrsMorris Posts : 35 Registered: 8/16/07
Re: Honeymoon?
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 2:54 AM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

I think it depends where you go. I wore mine but my dad went to Hawaii on his and he lost his wedding band in the ocean. I've heard of that hapening alot for men I think because the ring is new to their finger and it may be loose.

SoontobeMrsMorris Posts : 35 Registered: 8/16/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 2:54 AM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

I think it depends where you go. I wore mine but my dad went to Hawaii on his and he lost his wedding band in the ocean. I've heard of that hapening alot for men I think because the ring is new to their finger and it may be loose.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 7:52 AM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

i would think if they fit well you'll be fine :) Maybe if you're going on a ride you should take them off and put them in the zipper pouch of your purse or something, but other than that... <shrug> why not? :)

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I'd say in general it would depend on what you're planning on doing and where you're planning on going. In your case, I don't see a problem with wearing your rings. But for anyone doing something campy or outdoorsy, I would leave them at home. Also, if you're going to an underdeveloped country for your honeymoon, I would leave anything with a diamond in it at home. We went to Belize for ours and I just wore my wedding band, which is plain with no stones, and left the engagement ring at home. (We went snorkeling, by the way, and neither of us lost our rings, but I know the surf in Hawaii is much rougher.)

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

We went to a resort in Mexico. We left the resort to do snorkeling one day and a sunset cruise a different day. We did a lot of swimming at the resort also. We both wore our rings the entire time without any problems. On our way to one of the excursions, two other couples were in the van with us (also honeymooners). One couple left their rings at home in the states, the other locked them in the safe in their room but wore them while at the resort. So, everyone has a different comfort level. My way of thinking is that we bought them to wear them, they're insured, so why not????

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

lin and nate

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

I forgot to tell a story that I thought was sweet. After I got engaged but before I got married, when I was trying to decide what kind of wedding ring to get, a married childhood friend of mine was showing me her wedding/engagement ring set and making suggestions for what I could get. She told me about how the place they went for their honeymoon (I can't remember where) she knew she wasn't going to feel comfortable wearing her diamond rings. So she purchased an additional plain "travel" wedding band, and her husband wore it in his pocket at their ceremony. So even though it wasn't part of the ring exchange, the travel band was still at the ceremony.

LinzZ makes a good point about the insurance, but if your sentimental attachment makes you fearful of wearing your ring on trips, especially off the continent or out of the country, I thought my friend's way was a good way to handle it.

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

Would you wear them on any other vacation? A honeymoon is really no different than any other vacation. We went to Hawaii and we both wore ours. There is no way I would have went anywhere with them. Even now, I only take mine off to shower, wash dishes or the cars, and when we go 4-wheeling so I don't get mud caked on them. DH never takes his off.

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

I never take mine off, 'cept to clean it.  We went swimming, in the hot tub, it was always on.  I'm more likely to lose it if I take it off!  (as my mom's has been down the drain)  I agree I wouldn't wear it if there's a chance for a problem, like in an underdeveloped country.  I wouldn't want to be held up for my ring....

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

We wore ours to Disneyworld.  We did take them off when we went to the waterparks - there was a safe in our room to keep them in

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

we just got back from our honeymoon in Vegas and we wore ours all week

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I don't know where you're going, but a friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend while on a cruise to Jamaica.  She said yes, and they were scheduled to take a tour of the island the next day.  For some reason, something made him tell her to leave the ring on the ship.

While on their "guided tour", their cab driver drove them to a really bad part of the island, turned off the ignition, and shook them down for $200 in order to return them safely to the ship!  My friend didn't have the money so the cabbie drove him to an ATM while his fiance waited in the cab.  They were pretty shook up, but weren't physically harmed -- and the ring was safe!

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I treated the honeymoon as any trip, I keep it on except when I'll be in the water, because my fingers do shrink when they're cold or wet (I have to take them off before I shower). I just locked them in the safe in the room, my husband kept his band on but it's snug and wouldn't fall off. 

kingme Posts : 8 Registered: 9/22/08
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

My friend took a picture of her engagement ring and then got insurance on it just in case- she found out about insurance on engagement 101 magazine

Message was edited by: kingme Message was edited by: kingme

Message was edited by: kingme

brideincanada Posts : 133 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: TickledPeenk

We're going to Mexico and I'm not taking my e-ring/custom wedding band with me simply because you can run into problems in less developed countries if you're sporting jewelry with diamonds or other stones.  These problems can be as extreme as theft/burglery or just having the price on things jacked up because they see the jewelry and figure they can get more money from you because you can afford it.  We have purchased a second (or "alternate" as FH calls it) wedding band for me that is stainless steel with no stones and I plan to wear it on the honeymoon.  For me this second band is necessary as I'm an engineer and will get regular use because I don't want to wear my white gold and diamond e-ring/band combo when I'm in situations that call for working with my hands.

I'd think you should be ok since you're staying in North America, but as other posters have said: it really comes down to if you're really worried about losing them, don't take them or leave them in the room safe while you're on rides etc.

PS - Thanks for the idea HappyGirl, I think I'll have FH carry my "alternate" band in his pocket during the ceremony or maybe I'll pin it inside the hem of my dress or attach it to my bouquet somehow.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine