How to decorate small, round cocktail tables for reception?

Online Users: 1,240 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

slippinx12 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/11/08
How to decorate small, round cocktail tables for reception?
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 7:48 AM

I am getting married on a cruise ship, and our reception is in a lounge with cocktail tables. We have about 65 guests and each table fits 2-3 people comfortably. Each table is about 20 inches in diameter. So that is about 20 tables to decorate!

The room is like a purple prince suit: http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/swf/century/index.html (Go to mingle, then hemisphere lounge)

All my female elders advised "gold and simplify" so my FMIL offered to make long gold table cloths that will be tied with ribbon.

What do you think of the gold? Do you have any suggestions for a budget friendly way to decorate 20 cocktail tables?

Because of US Customs regulations, we are not allowed to bring on real flowers or use candles- we can do fake flowers and fake candles, but it seems like that would add up.

Suggestions?

Message was edited by: slippinx12

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: How to decorate small, round cocktail tables for reception?
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 8:00 AM Go to message in response to: slippinx12

I know this is going to sound kinda gauche, but why decorate at all? That's a super fun room! I wouldn't worry about doing anything with the tables, especially if budget is an issue.  Maybe make a big banner (or I've seen some beautiful wall hangings) announcing that it's your wedding celebration.  Then make a big beautiful arrangement of silk flowers to sit on the table with a guest book, and I pretty much think you're done! LOL That rooms is really well done already, why add more that the designer hadn't planned on? Besides, those tables look like they have a beautiful mosaic or are wrought iron or something. Very pretty!  

Are you setting the tables for your guests? Maybe add a little bit of flair with the dishes and the napkins? Or is the venue providing those?  Maybe if you set the tables though, it'll look more formal like I think you're wanting.

good luck! 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: slippinx12

Wow--I see what you mean about the Prince suit! Those tables are very small, so anything you put on them should not take up lots of space. You could scatter something, like silk or freeze dried petals, confetti, or crystals in your colors. You could do small lamps (with LED candles) with beaded shades--think restaurant table-sized. You could do a small cylinder with a submerged stem of (faux) flowers. Photographs in gold frames could look nice. I think that the tablecloths with ribbons would be overkill, and very likely would have your guests tripping over them.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: slippinx12

Let me say I am sooo biased because I love purple. I think the room is great as it is. But I do agree with Myrea that little beaded lamp shades or faux flowers submerged in water would look good.

especially cymbidium orchids. 

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

slippinx12 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/11/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 10:56 PM Go to message in response to: slippinx12

Thanks for the feedback ya'll! It's a buffet, so i don't think they were going to set the tables, but I have been thinking that I would really like it if they did.

And I was thinking about doing gold and purple hershey kisses- I could use those instead of confetti maybe.

We'll see- I could always leave the room as is, but I was looking forward to decorating! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine