strapless into sweetheart

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

ebrown1 Posts : 63 Registered: 4/4/07
strapless into sweetheart
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 5:47 PM

Hi Ladies

I bought my dress a little while ago and have two questions...

1.  My wedding is in December, when do you think I should take it in for alterations?  I wanted to wait as long as possible to ensure a perfect fit.   

2.  Have any of you turned a strapless dress into a sweetheart neckline?  How did it turn out and was it expensive?  I've always loved sweetheart necklines and think they may be more flattering than straight strapless.  

Let me see if I can post a pic of the dress and than you can give opinions if you think a sweetheart would go with the look of the dress...

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=58ebc5de-3fe5-4f2e-9772-a55f696c0963&categoryID=6eb1ddbe-45d0-4d16-93d6-ca5ded5c84d6&pg=1

Thanks! 

Re: strapless into sweetheart
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

Sorry the picture didn't work...

If you want to see it, its alfred angelo style # 1774NT

But I would really like to hear any alteration stories that apply.  Thanks and sorry about the picture. 

Message was edited by: ebrown1

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

That dress looks like it would be VERY SIMPLE to alter into a sweetheart neckline. I was trying on straight across strapless dresses with all kinds of beadwork and lace and almost ALL of them were capable of being altered into a sweetheart neckline! I HIGHLY doubt they could charge you that much. It's a really simple thing to do. My alterations lady said she'd charge me less than what she charges for a bustle! Good luck!

And beautiful dress by the way!! :)

MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

A sweetheart neckline would work just fine with that dress.  With alterations, anything is possible with enough time and enough money.  I converted my zip-up dress to a corset-backed one, because I love that look.  As far as the cost, it really varies from tailor to tailor.  I'd recommend calling several in your area to get quotes (be prepared to describe your dress/fabric or to take it in so the tailor can see it first hand).  Ask about a timeline when you call as well, but I probably wouldn't go any later than a month before the wedding, to make sure you have plenty of time, and to fix any possible mistakes.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

dancesport20 Posts : 6 Registered: 9/14/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 3:02 AM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

If you wanted to get alterations through AA I would recommend 1.5 to 2 months prior to the date you need if completed as to avoid being charged a rush fee. They're rush can run up to $100 so in my opinion its worth bringing it in a little early. Also, I have seen that dress made into sweetheart and it looks very nice. Most dresses can be made into sweetheart in one of two ways; it can be pinched and sewn in the center to give it a rouged sweetheart look or it can be cut to be formed into a clean sweetheart. The second option obviously costs more seeing as how more labor is involved. Have the seamstress go over both options with you so that you feel confident in your decision :-)

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: dancesport20

Thanks for the advice.  Its especially nice to know that you have seen the dress made into sweetheart and it looked nice.  

Are you girls having your alterations done at the bridal shop or through the private tailor? 

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

My boutique recommends a seamstress at a nearby shop. And if I go through her (which i'm doing) they transport my dress to and from her shop free of charge. And they ALL used to work at David's Bridal, and they are ALL trying to ensure MUCH BETTER deals than David's. So i'm lucky!
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine