addiction to ice cream

Online Users: 1,298 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12
addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:00 PM

i am really trying to lose weight before my wedding, but more so becfor this summer because i am getting measured for my dress...i wanted to wait to lose some weight. so, my main issues were soda and ice cream. i quit drinking soda (still miss it every day) but i cant seem to cut out ice cream. i am addicted i think. after eating dinner at night, it is all i think about until i go to bed. i can feel my stomach yearning for it. most of the time i cant resist it and eat ice cream about 5 days a week. anyone have any suggestions to help me get over this? eating low fat ice cream or sorbet isnt really an option, i cant stand the taste...i am an ice cream snob. help!

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't buy the things I can't resist, because I know I can't control myself, so one suggestion is to not buy any and give yourself non-food rewards. Can you buy it or just eat it in small portions? Or let yourself go to the ice cream parlor once a week as a reward for not eating it every day?

deira/nynje

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Also, my Weight Watchers leader says to ask yourself: How will I feel if I eat it? How will I feel if I don't? How will I look if I eat it? How will I feel if I don't?

deira/nynje

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I LOVE ice cream! Big Grin

I don't eat it often at all though due to the high fat and calorie content.

It gets down to how bad do you really want to loose weight? Does the desire to be thin out weigh the desire to have ice cream?

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's all about moderation. If you need to have it every day, then make sure it's a small scoop--- ya know, a taste, just enough to satisfy. Then, make sure that that is your "treat" for the day. No slipping anywhere else!

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 12:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Have you actually TRIED all the low fat ice creams out there? I think you'd be surprised how good some of them are. I'm an ice cream fiend, and I only buy low fat ice cream (Ben & Jerry's and Dreyers are my favorites).

Would you rather have no ice cream or low fat ice cream?

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

OOH, I'm generally an ice cream snob but Ihave a huge heart for the slow churned light.

If you don't like the taste, it generally tastes better in milkshake format. Also, you could try making your own homemade icecream. The ice cream makers aren't too expensive, and you can use better ingredients. Could you switch to another dessert, like pudding? Even with some light whipped cream on it it's not as bad for you as icecream.

Or, as a last ditch result, try "the four bite theory". Try eating four moderately sized bites with about 30 seconds in between. Supposedly, four bites is all your brain needs to register that it has eaten dessert. Don't know if that's actually true or not, but it usually works for me!

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try starting to get ice creams in packets, the small individual ones, or mini ones, that way you can start to regulate how much you have. They work out a lot better than spooning out ice cream into a bowl!

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Slow churned ice cream... so good! The French Silk is especially incredible... Also, try eating fat free chocolate pudding with light Cool Whip (or the fat free- I just personally don't care for it). VERY nice substitute once you get used to it!

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also love ice cream. I don't need to lose weight, but I felt gross after eating it.

Here's what I did-
Ben &Jerry's makes small serving sizez in individual cups. I would buy one if I had had a rough day at work, and then not overeat. Gradually, I was down to one cup every two weeks.

Also, If you're craving it, first think about it. Write down answers to questions like "Am I bored" :"Do I really need this" etc. GO for a walk, calll someone, write someone, LOG ON HERE Smile anything to distract you.

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

thanks for the advice. i might have to try the 4 bite theory. i have tried ben and jerry's light ice cream and i can just taste the difference so much that i couldnt finish it. like i said, i'm a snob. i havent tried the slow churned style though so i might try that. i have also tried the pudding thing but it doesnt quite satisfy the urge.

i definately want to lose weight but for some reason, when i want ice cream, its all i can think about until i get it...i dont care about losing weight at that point. i swore last week that i was only going to have it once a week. but so far i have had it 4 times this week....which is better than the usual 5-7 times a week i guess. i blame my father...he raised us to have ice cream every night around 9pm...we always ate ice cream together then (and he is extremely fit and muscular)

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

forget moderation...i cant do it! i have to totally deny myself, if i have a little taste i just want to eat it all up! PERFECT example...last night for supper i had a pint of hagen daaz! I had a killer sore throat and it was helping so i just kept watching the movie eating it until i realized i had eaten the whole blasted thing! I was terrified to get on the scale this morning, but thank god it didnt move!!

I have to do total denial... sorry i'm no help at all, am i? can you substitue popcicles? What about an alternative? Would sugar free pudding satisfy the creamy craving?

addiction to ice cream
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

LOL ooops sorry, should've read the WHOLE post...sorry for rementioning the pudding thing! Newsjunkie...great minds think alike!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine