NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I support the right to choose.  When I had the choice to make, I chose to have my baby.  But Palin (and her ticket) want to eliminate the possibility of anyone else being able to HAVE a choice...and instead, she wants to force anyone pregnant to carry the embryo to term.  THAT is, to me, unacceptable.  Also, it disgusts me how they claim that CHOICE equals BABY KILLING.  I chose NOT to get an abortion, but that was my right to be able to have a choice...she wants to take that right away and I do not believe it is her place to do so.  She was free ot make her choice, the rest of us should be free to make ours as well.  

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Kenny and Cyndi- At least you have brains enough to see it from someone else's point of view.  It's not something that I'm proud of that I had to end a pregnancy.  It is something that was the right choice for me.  I can tell you that I would not have taken care of myself during the pregnancy if I carried it to term.  I would have probably become so depressed that I would have gotten to the point of suicidal.  I felt dirty, disgusted, and I would have hated that child because there was such a negative association.  Adoption- yeah....that's an option, but again I would have probably taken my own life before I had that baby.  I can't even tell you how bad a situation I was in.

Wow, sorry ladies.  I didn't mean to go off on a tangent.  Women will always get abortions.  If she has to travel to Mexico, Canada or fly to Russia, a woman will do what she wants to do.

Getting back on track with current events- Casey Anthony was freed from jail - again.  The Padilla brothers posted another bond for her - again!  You know what's even crazier is that they were searching for her daughter's body 15 minutes from my house.  For any "refreshers" on the case of missing Caylee Anthony, here's the link to all news stories from Orlando http://www.local6.com/news/17397417/detail.html

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I also support the right to choose.This is a true story: the daughter of a friend of mine had two "late-term" abortions. In the first case, she was almost six months pregnant, went for an ultrasound, and it was discovered that the baby was anencephalic (no brain!), had organs on the outside that should have been on the inside and could have broken off and killed herat any time, especially had she delivered vaginally at nine months. The cause was a genetic problem, but that was not discovered before she became pregnant again--and again, had the same problem.By the time she became pregnant for a third time, genetic testing could be done. Had there been the same problem, she would have aborted again. Instead, they had a healthy, gorgeous little girl. She now is pregnant with their second (healthy,as far as we know) child.

Carrying either of the first two pregnancies to term could have killed her. The babies, had they been born alive at all, would not have lived for even a day. So, even "late term"abortions might be necessary, and these certainly were not frivolous or criminal. I admire the couple's courage in even trying for a third time after the traumas of the first two.

In "outlawing"abortion, Palinwould force even pregnancies like these or Mush's to come to term. This basically is theocracy--forcing one's religious views on everybody. If Palin did  not wish to abort a baby,or her daughter does not, that is her choice--and that's all that most women want.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

That story there and others like it are why I am pro-choice.  These people are having these babies and when they get in the way they are killling them.  When they are an inconvience they get rid of them.

I was watching something on TruTV I think it was where the woman killed her twin sons.  She had a date with her boyfriend she called the kids father to babysit he couldn't and the next thing she did was go into another room and get an unloaded gun from the top of the closet and load it and then go back into the room where her children were sitting watching tv and placed the gun to the side of one boys head and pulled the trigger.  The second child saw what happened and tried to run from the room.  She fired a shot and missed him, fired a second shot and grazed his scalp he fell down, she then walked up to the child stood over his and fired another shot into the side of his head.  

She called her boyfriend crying and told him what she had done.  At her trial she tried to use an insanity defense, she didn't know what she was doing.   What a crock.  She did not get off.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Absolutley, Mya. Palin said herself in the press release regarding Bristol's baby that they support Bristol's choice.

Yet she would deny that choice to every other woman.

I'm a firm believer in choice.  I don't view every abortion as a victory for the pro-choice movement; I don't view every decision to have a baby a victory for the pro-life movement.  I simply believe that the decision to have a child is quite possibly the most important decision that a woman will ever make -- it is the choice she makes regarding how and under what circumstances she will become a mother.  I believe that I should be the only person who gets to make that decision -- it is too important for anyone else to make it for me.

So now that the RNC convention is over, get ready for the onslaught of media attacks.  Palin and her crew are going to treat her VP candidacy using the same tactics that the Bush team treated the war.  Remember how if you questioned the war it was because you weren't a patriot?  Well, now if you question Palin's experience or qualifications, it's because you are part of the liberal media elite.  She's going to be rushed from meeting to interview, shoring up support amongst social conservatives, leaving McCain free to court the independents. 

Still, I hope that she keeps her "tough" "pitbull" reputation.  That way, when Biden rips her apart during the debate, it'll be that much more satisfying.

(By the way, Kel, I've been joking about starting a "Free Levi!" website.  You want in? :)  )

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

www.factcheck.org

This is a great web site to get the real facts from.  There are many on there already as a result of the RNC, but they are non partisan, they will give the facts on both sides, they do a great job going through the ads and the speeches.

(as does the daily show, but since that is "entertainment" people who don't already know the facts tend to write it off)

Anyway, looking forward to the first debate, sept. 26 and definitely the Oct. 2 vp debate.  

I hope Obama/Biden just keep on track with the economy, health care, the war and exposing the hype.  It is NOT unamerican to question the integrity of the VP candidate...it would be unamerican NOT to do so.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

(By the way, Kel, I've been joking about starting a "Free Levi!" website.  You want in? :)  )

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Poor Levi LOL.

Oh yeah - the media is starting already with the PALIN IS GOD stuff. Jeesh. Fox News is the WORST. Dh and I had it on this morning and there was literally a 15min story complete with old clips, pictures, and mini interviews, about the fact that Palin was Captain of her Basketball Team in High School, yes HIGH SCHOOL!!! - had a bum ankle before "the big game" - but Sniff Sniff ... she played anyway. Oh my God. Give this woman the Medal of Honor!!! SHE PLAYED ON!!! Oh its just soooo brave. And guess what? She WON the big game!!! Wow!!! And they had all these interviews with people that were there using the fact that she played anyway despite her "injury" as an example of her heroism, determination, and "she just wotn give up. Shes a pitbull alright. THats my girl." (coming from her dad) It was possibly the most pointless stupidest story Ive heard in quite some time. Seriously? A high school basketball game? THATS your example? Well in that case, I should be PRESIDENT !!!! Sooo silly.

I still havent made it through McCaines Speech yet. Its DVRed. But whoever made the comment about the dentures - you arent kidding! This morning they showed a bit of Palin talking in Wisconsin while McCaine stood next to her - and the ENTIRE time he kept moving his mouth like he had lockjaw - it was so weird and distracting and just confirmed his "old man" status yet again.

Oh I cant wait for The Daily Show tonight. I totally look forward to that show nightly - especially during election times when it just KICKS SERIOUS ASS in humor.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I was just listening to a radio interview with Senator Obama.  He just said the new unemployment report just came out and 80,000 new jobs were just lost in August.  This is crazy,  How can people possibly think the Republicans have their best interest at heart.  They are so out of touch with real people and real issues. 

I work in a field that is directly affected by the economy.  The worst the economy gets the higher the crime rate the more business the Judiciary gets.  This economy is great for my job security but what about others? 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Me too, Kelley.  But after tonight, no more daily show and colbert on Friday nights.  But, at least Bill Maher is back on HBO again.  Last Friday's was really good.

I made it through the speech last night, we watched it.  But, I had a hard time following and paying attention.  I was pretty excited about the green screen, AGAIN, can't wait to see what Colbert does with it.  :)

kennys, my job now is more secure with crappy economy because of the crime rate too.  And, if these people WERE to actually get elected, well, not sure how that would affect it.  I AM sure they would  make more Scalia/Roberts type appointments and the court would be fully conservative, no chance for m ost of my clients that would mean in addition to the loss of choice and whatever else they want to do...church PART OF the state for sure I would guess.  

Anyway, personally, my husband and I and my oldest daughter felt the affects of the economy directly through job loss.  My husband has a new job, but is no longer a partner so that means his income went down by about half.  My daughter's company went bankrupt, and she didn't even get her last check. She has found two part time jobs to  make up for it sort of, but...it has a direct affect.

And the foreclosure rates here are still booming.

Those people just blow  my mind with their total ignorance about real people's lives and financial concerns.

good grief.  

And yes, Kelley...she is the repub's messiah.  but really, FOX news?  I'm sorry.  Your stomach is stronger than mine.  :)  I can hardly take m ost of the msm and especially them.  

I AM going to watch obama's interviews with oreilly, though.  I heard he handled himself really well...which I knew he would.  They aired the first one last night at 6pm mountain, and will finish up over mon, tues and wed.

have a great weekend all!!!

So, if I CHEERED on, even though I had the stomach flu and A SPRAINED ANKLE, I swtill jumped, split and tucked...do I getta be Veep now ? Do I?  Please, please please???  

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi- You only get to be VP if yuou're also a hockey mom and have a knocked up daughter!  Were you in any beauty pagents?  I could NOT vote for someone who wasn't in a beauty pagent!  McCain should have picked the Bridezilla's sister from Texas.  You guys remember, Mrs. Texas?  The Va-jay-jay cake! 

KELLEY- LMAO!  I just found out that Palin's husband's name is TODD!  You being a Carlin lover, I thought you'd get a laugh out of that!  For the rest of you, you can see the clip here on Carlin's take on guys named Todd.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXn8WKpYaA

Message was edited by: mushaboo for humor

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

YES...IAM a hockey mom...of 3.  My daughters didn't get pregnant, but I had a teen pregnancy.  Doesn't that count???  Of course, I wasn't in a pageant.  I don't know, I guess i just prefer brains ( no offense, really, not much anyway)  I HATE pageants and all that they promote.

Anyway...Todd???? Really????  We loved carlin, but DH is named Todd.  (and he is NOT a palin or mccain supporter) soooo, can he be in a different todd circle than todd palin??????  

By the by, rumor is that she cheated on todd.  rumor is from enquirer, but they WERE right about john edwards, which I have to say disappointed me.  So...we will see.  I guess I'm kinda biased since I typically see those who spout "FAMILY VALUES" the loudest generally don't live by the rules they demand everyone else follow. So....I'm curious now.

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Hmmm, Cyndi, I don't know if I can give you a passing grade with no beauty pagent experience.  Let's see.....I'll let you slide if you curl your hair up and put it in a prom do every single day.  Seriously, did no one tell her to work on her look???

Update on the Casey Anthony case.  They found traces of chloroform in her car.  Also, they released that the found evidence on her hard drive how to use it and how much you need to knock someone out.  Anyone else convinced she's involved now?  Geez.  See, this is just another perfect example of "right to choose".  This girl just wanted to party, not be a parent.

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Please, please, please POST clips from SNL.  you KNOW there's gonna be some tina fey fun.  :)

Sorry musha, guess I fail, no  prom hair.  Sometimes (gasp) I don't even wear makeup beyond, maybe, mascara.  

SO sad about the llittle girl.  so sad.

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Well, I haven't found anything from SNL yet.  Been stuck on a Carlin kick.  So funny!  I found this clip where he's talking about Bush #1 and the Persian Gulf war.  It's strange how much everything he's saying is similar to Iraq war with Bush #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkhzHQO7jY

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I know, it is eerie scary.

Watch colbert next week, or tape it. Since mccain did the green screen again, I KNOW he will have a lot.  Maybe even on tonight since they  have a special convention friday night daily show and colbert.

Do you get hbo?  If you do, bill maher is hilarious...and he's on otnight.  I know SNL has been reruns, but hoping they are new this week or soon anyway.  LOVE the election season SNL.  My faves are, and probably always will be, the year Perot ran with daddy bush and clinton.  Phil hartman was AWESOME!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine