Help me choose the ring

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 14

Mischainlove Posts : 2 Registered: 8/26/08
Help me choose the ring
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:10 PM

I have heard some good recommendations from other poeple about this company, so I want to purchase from them.

I have selected 2 rings that I like especiallly. Me nay my hubby  are going to decide together 

Can you give me some advice on these two items please

Our budget is arround 5000 USD.

http://www.wonderjewelers.com/202ct-emerald-anniversary-rings-p-85006.html

and

http://www.wonderjewelers.com/190ct-round-three-stone-ring-p-87007.html

I wanted to buy from Tiffany, but I got the better deal here with financing. 

I would be grateful for all the suggestions from your girls

Thanks

Mischa 

Mischainlove Posts : 2 Registered: 8/26/08
Re: Help me choose the ring
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

HEre are only the links again, I am new to forums, so I dont know how to post properly

RING 1

http://www.wonderjewelers.com/202ct-emerald-anniversary-rings-p-85006.html

and

http://www.wonderjewelers.com/190ct-round-three-stone-ring-p-87007.html

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

Love number 1! thats because I prefer square over circle. Sorry I don't know they name of cuts lol never cared to. Number 1 is very pretty.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

Hi Mischa,

I'll admit to extreme bias here -- I'm personally not a fan of emerald cut diamonds, so I absolutely like the round one better. My biggest concern would be that it appears to be over your budgeted amount (but it's close to 5,000 so it might still be a-ok). 

I'll ignore the cut and clarity part, because I'm far from an expert. Personally, to use child-like terms, I like the round diamonds better because they glitter more. I also feel like the round cut would hide any flaws in the diamond better.

I thought it was odd that the emerald cut one was the same price no matter what setting it was in, but the round cut one varied by band type. What kind of band were you planning on getting? 

Feel free to disregard my semi-apparent lack of knowledge. My FH knows more about diamonds that I do -- he was all proud of the carat and clarity, etc, and I had no idea what he was talking about. 

Good luck!

laneyliz Posts : 36 Registered: 7/19/08
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 11:16 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

They are both beautiful rings, but I think you need a little bit more information before you buy. 

The description of the round ring says it is a 3 stone ring, but the picture shows a 5 stone ring.  Also, the emerald ring description says it is 2.02 carats with 3 stones, but then it only describes 2 stones--1 at 1.0 carats and 1 at 1.02 carats.  It doesn't give you any info at all on the center stone.

My advice would be to call the company, and ask them for more information on the stones--that way you will know exactly what you are getting.  You could also take a look on blue nile or whiteflash.com--they both have a great selection of diamonds, and lots of info.

Good luck--I'm sure you will find a ring that you love! 

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

personally i like the first ring -the emerald cut better

but from the look of the description that one doesn't include the center stone in the price.  it appears that the price is for the sidestones and setting

whereas the second ring -the round, seems to show the entire set ring at your price 

MrsReno Posts : 314 Registered: 12/21/07
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 11:55 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

Is this an engagement ring or wedding/anniversary ring?

If it were an engagement ring, I'd go with the round cut because there are so many more options for a band that you could go with.

If it is a wedding/anniversary ring I would go with the emerald cut because it is so stunning by itself. ( I am assuming that if it were and wedding/anniversary ring and you are looking at those types or rings you won't be wearing your engagement ring with it.)

♥Defy Gravitry♥

JennaG84 Posts : 6 Registered: 5/29/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: soontobemrsnye

Hmm, I actually like both of those rings. The first ring you posted would be called an "emerald cut" and the second is a round cut diamond ring.  I'm a really big fan of Natalie K, Simon G and Ritani designers.  I'm a little biased as well because I prefer round brilliant cut over emerald for a center stone at least.. Personally, if you asked me, I'd say why not go with the best of both worlds and get a round brilliant cut ring with the classic set up of the first design.  Something like this one http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/63-Classic-Styles-37-1490-000-Lady-s-Natalie-K-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring-mounting-000-.html

Message was edited by: JennaG84

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

True rounds may "sparkle more" but they are so boring and old fashion.  The emerald cut is so unique and makes a BOLD statment of classy. But I do agree with pp that it would apear you need more information on these rings.  Or at least find something you like and buy it else where. 

(everyone is intitled to their opinions)  

Here is the link to our HONEYMOON SUITE- FOR 6 DAYS AND 5 NIGHTS

http://www.motion-vr.com/tourm.aspx?tn=445&cp=1&b=1&la=0&fl=1 

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

I am completely biased towards emerald cut.  I know that they don't sparkle as much, but the clean lines are so beautiful. 

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Hmm.. I don't know about that.  Yes I agree emerald is bold, but for some reason I don't identify emerald cut with an engagement ring specifically.  That may just be me, everyone has their own opinion.

What are the thoughts on a trapezoid cut.  I think that's bold if you're going for unique like this one:   Natalie K diamond and platinum antique style engagement ring - Firenze Jewels

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 6:49 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

Mischa, those are both very different rings.  No one can pick a ring for you since everyone's styles are different.  One thing I wanted to add apart from what everyone else has said is that IMO quality is much better than quantity.  In other words, yeah, you're looking at rings that are over 1ct but the quality seems on the lower end.  On your budget, I'd suggest looking for smaller size diamonds so that you can get better quality diamonds. 

Just my opinion.....

Slideshow of our wedding photos:  http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view&current=cb216606.pbr

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I agree 100% with CaribbeanBride08.  Quality is in fact better than quantity.  Another thing I suggest is do not forget about the setting(ring) that the main center stone is sitting on!  A beautifuly crafted setting is what really stands out in the end as opposed to just 1 big low quality rock sitting on a plain platinum or 18k white gold setting. 

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

Well, I have to say the 1rst one, it is gorgeous!.  

My ring is also an emerald stone with 2 princess on each side & "bagettes" around., so I think your option #1 is pretty unique and not as common as the other types of cuts.

Good luck!

DuecesWild Posts : 24 Registered: 11/8/07
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 11:58 PM Go to message in response to: Mischainlove

i like the emeral cut one...but they are both really pretty.  Are you going to order them online?  If you choose to order them online, do your research first, and maybe check with your credit card company to see if they offer any protection if the business is not legit.  Lots of Luck! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine