Recipe Swap Thread!! (Something new and fun!)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

ladymcbride Posts : 32 Registered: 6/4/07
Recipe Swap Thread!! (Something new and fun!)
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 2:42 PM

Like a good little future bride, I've decided that kraft mac and cheese and hot pockets does not qualify as 'cooking'. Nor does it count for something nutritional. So the past year I've been trying to become adventurous and learn some quick, healthy, FH approved meals.

Share some of yours!!

Here is a recent fave!

BLT Salad:

- Head of lettuce, 1 pkg turkey bacon, 1 container cherry tomatoes, 1 avocado (optional) 2 slices wheat bread.

Chop up lettuce, throw in the tomatoes, cut up the avocado, cook the bacon then cut it up. Toast the wheat bread, put a thin layer of low fat mayo and cut toast into strips. Voila! Sooooo good! FH loved it and it took me less than 10 minutes, and i was so full!

Your turn!

I'm getting married, what did I do to ever deserve this?

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Re: Recipe Swap Thread!! (Something new and fun!)
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

One of my FH's fav suppers came out of a sale at the grocery store.  It's just a sandwhich but he really likes them.

Seafood PoBoys:

Frozen seafood of choice.  (We use clams and shrimp)
Hoagie Rolls
Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing (or other mayo/dressing you like)
Lettuce
Tomato
Red Onions
Shredded Cheese (optional)

Bake the seafood according to the package.  Pile seafood and cheese and place back in the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.  Pile with veggies and spread the dressing and mayo.

I like to serve it with Sweet Potato Fries or fruit salad for something a little healthier.

Jackie B!

109 22 7 80 RSVP Date September 12

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

my fh is actually a LOT better cook than I am, but we've come across a few receipes together that we really love! It's super impressive for if the MIL comes to visit too!

Prep time: start to finish 10 minutes

What you need:

salmon, defrosted if frozen

one package (per 4 or 5 people) of rice noodles (available at the grocery store is the asian foods section)

ginger

green onion

soy sauce

water

Okay, now for the preparation! Easy easy easy!  Start with putting the water on to boil for the rice noodles, and preheat your oven to at least 450.  Then in a bowl put equal parts of water and soy sauce, I'd suggest about 1/2 cup per serving 'cause this stuff is gooooooood.  Then in that bowl put some VERY finely chopped ginger, about a small thumb size per portion, and quite a bit of green onion, we usually use two stalks per 4 servings.  Cover that bowl in some saran wrap and put it in the microwave for 2 minuets.  Watch out taking it out, the stuff is very hot.  

Put the mixture from the bowl in a baking sheet that has a lip on it, and put the salmon right on top of the mixture with the skin side up.  (It doesn't HAVE to have skin, but it's easy to tell when it's done).  Get that in to the oven or broiler and let it bake for about 4 or 5 minutes, until the skin pulls off the salmon really easily.  If no skin, watch for the fish to flake easily.  Get the noodles in at the same time as the salmon because they only take about 4 minutes too.

When it comes out you can do a really fancy plating if you want.  Noodles down first, then lay the salmon on the top and spread the soy mixture on the top. Sooooo yummy, so healthy! 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

Lady, I don't have a recipe right now (we are in the process of moving and I don't have access to it) but I do want to share the way I cook bacon (the regular kind, I don't know about turkey bacon) as it is WAY easy!  I just take a cookie sheet, line it with foil, put the bacon on there and put it into a preheated 350 oven.  I just keep a watch on it but it's better for me because when I take it out to turn the bacon over there is no risk of the grease splattering, the bacon retains its length but is still crispy, and when it comes time to clean up you don't have to drain the grease anywhere- we just let it dry onto the foil and then toss it out!

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

Homemade veggie soup. I learned this from my grandma, I love her soup!

Total Time 20-30 minutes.

1 LARGE can of Veg-All mixed vegetables (drained)

1 LB of ground beef

(1) 15oz can of tomato sauce

(1) 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (drained)

1) Brown ground beef 2) In another pot, mix veggies, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a slight boil. Season to taste (I use salt, pepper, seasoning salt, basil, and oregano). When ground beef is done,  Throw everything together and simmer for about 10 minutes. I prefer to add some of the ground beef drippings for taste but you may decide to completely drain the ground beef.

I know somebody who likes to substitute boneless/skinless diced chicken for the ground beef.

This recipe will feed two VERY hungry people (and still have some leftover) or four somewhat hungry folks

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

I love that bacon idea! And the veggie soup sound yummy and easy!

wedding ticker

MrsHF Posts : 368 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I also like to cook my bacon that way, practically no mess to clean.  I can't remember who it was, but someone else cooks their bacon sprinkled with brown sugar - sooo yummy!

I get a lot of recipes from the Kraft website (though most have to be modified in some way).  This one for pork tenderloin is my all time favorite recipe from them, no modifications necessary.  I like to marinate it for the full 24 hours before cooking.  I have also made it in the oven and it turns out just as well.

Honey Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

1 pork tenderloin

1/4 cup  KRAFT CATALINA Dressing, divided

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp.  garlic powder

1 tsp. dry mustard

1/2 tsp.  paprika

1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves

1 Tbsp.  honey

Brush meat with 2 tbs of dressing.  Mix dry ingredients, rub onto meat.  Let stand 10 minutes or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours to marinate.  (I find a a large ziploc bag is easiest)

Preheat barbecue to medium heat.  Place meat on barbecue and close lid.  Grill 20 minutes, turning ocasionally.

Mix remaining dressing and honey, brush onto meat.  Grill an additional 5-10 minutes until meat is cooked (160 F), turning ocasionally and brush frequently with the dressing mixture.  Remove bron barbecue, cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Message was edited by: MrsHarrisonFord

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

I get a lot of my recipes from www.familyfun.com they have recipes for picky kids (and DHs!!)  Smile  Here's our favorite meatloaf from them bacon double cheeseburger meatloaf:

A very kid friendly version of the classic meat loaf.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

4 slices bacon
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground chuck or ground round
1 cup firm fresh white bread crumbs
1 cup coarsely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, chopped
2 tbsp. regular or low-fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp. India or other sweet pickle relish
2 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup ketchup

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until it is limp and some of the fat is rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet and reserve it.

2. In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to gently but thoroughly mix together the meat, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of the cheese, onion, mayonnaise, relish, mustard, salt, pepper and egg. Pat the mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking pan. Spread the top of the loaf with the ketchup, then lay the bacon strips over the ketchup. Bake until the loaf is firm and the bacon is crisp, 45 to 50 minutes, sprinkling the top of the loaf with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese to melt during the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Internal temperature should be 155 degrees. Let the meat loaf stand in the baking dish for 10 minutes, then cut into squares to serve. Makes 6 servings.

My cousin also makes GREAT sweet and sour meatballs and it couldn't be easier!  

2 bottles of Heinz chili sauce

2 & 1/2 cups brown sugar

3/4 cups lemon juice

Large bag of italian style frozen meatballs

Mix all the ingredients together and heat on low in a crockpot all day!  MMMM

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

I'm going to share two recipies with you that I find very tasty!

The first is my mom's very easy beef stew!! (Crock Pot Recipe)

Prep: 25-30 minutes. Cook time: 8hrs on Low, 4-5 hrs on High

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs Stewing Beef

5 Large russett Potatos (or 7-8 sm/med) peeled

8-10 whole carrots (peeled)

1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes, drained

1 med sweet onion (optional)

flour

1/2 cup water

Prep:

Coat stew beef with flour and brown in a frying pan. Dump fried beef and all contents of frying pan (there will be soupy flour from the beef juices) into crock pot.

Dice up potatoes, carrots and onions, put in crock pot.

Add 1 can drained tomatos and stir contents. Finally, add up to 1/2 cup of water depending on how thick you like your stew.

Honestly, this is such a simple meal that tastes so good. And you'll have enough to feed 8. For me and FH, this means left overs!!! The magic is in the flour. It helps create the base of the stew. The best part is I come home from work and instant dinner! Yay for crock pot meals!!!

My other (extremely simple) recipe!!

Fruit dip:

16oz REGULAR sour cream (low fat or fat free makes the dip too runny)

8oz jar of peach preserves.

Mix together!!! I love love LOVE this fruit dip! It can really be done with any fruit preserves, but the peach really goes very well with the sour cream! Its great for apple/peach/pear slices, bananas....really any fruit!!!

Yay for recipies!!!

~ Formerly CCFPrincessBride~

Hillary & Sean~ September 20, 2008 Laughing

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: HillyBride92008

Ooh, good idea!

OK, here is one of my favorite recipes that is super easy (I'm really absent minded when it comes to cooking, so I need easy.) This sounds a little weird, but if you like buffalo wing sauce, you'll probably like it.

Ingredients: 

Bottle of buffalo wing sauce (I prefer the kind Budweiser makes, although I haven't seen it in the stores recently, sadly enough.)

Pork spare ribs.

Directions: Place ribs in medium-sized slow cooker (4 qt.). POur sauce over ribs. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Tada!!! That's all! The ribs are so amazingly juicy and soft they literally melt in your mouth like better. Of course, you can make this recipe with BBQ sauce if you like, but I hate the stuff and much prefer the wing sauce. Give it a try! 

Belle1154 Posts : 235 Registered: 11/2/06
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

I love to experiment with pasta to find yummy (and healthy!) recipes.  Just the other day I made a great light pasta that DH and I loved.

Prep:
Boil a pot of water with a dash or two of coarse salt.  I like grinding sea salt. 
Meanwhile, finely chop two cloves of garlic, a shallot and a bunch of parsley. 

After the water boiled, I threw a pound of whole grain thin spaghetti.  While it was cooking I sauteed the garlic and shallots in a bit of olive oil (just enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pan)  When the garlic was browning, I added a generous ammount of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (you can use cream as well...I just like the light buttery flavor)  I continued to stir until the pasta was done cooking.  Once the pasta was finished, I used tongs to scoop it into the butter/garlic mixture a little at a time so to coat as much pasta with the mixture as possible.  Also, with each scoop, I added some parsley and finely shredded mozzerella cheese, and mixed it up.  When all was mixed, I seasoned it with salt and served.

This made a nice lunch for us; if you want to make it a little more filling, I would suggest adding seafood (crab, scallops) and maybe some broccoli or spinach.

Another dish I make almost every week is this easy chicken bake:

defrost chicken (however much you need to feed your family...about two large chicken breasts is good for us and yields some left overs.)
In a saucepan, stir one can or cream of chicken soup, one can of another cream soup you like (broccoli, potato, mushroom...) and about two tablespoons of soy sauce.
Once the chicken is finished I season it with salt, pepper and paprika and place it in a casserole dish. 
Dump some frozen veggies into the pan to cover the chicken (frozen corn, broccoli, green beans) and then pour the soup mixture over top. 
Cover the soup mixture with slices of your favorite cheese (I use provolone) and then top with crushed croutons. Cover and bake at 350 for an hour.  I like to serve this over rice. 

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine..."

Happily married since April19, 2008

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

This is one of my family's favorites. I like it because it is easy, pretty looking, and I can sneak in veggies.....

Bisquick Chicken Roll-Ups  (Tastes alot like a chicken pot pie, but much healthier and easier to make)

Ingredients 

2 cups shredded chicken  - If I don't have leftovers, I grill a couple of chicken breasts and shred them with a fork.

1 cup - low salt/low fat cream of chicken soup concentrate

1 cup frozen veggie medley (corn, peas, carrots)

2 & 1/4 cup Bisquick Mix

1 and 2/3 cup skim milk

Directions: Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F

Mix the shredded chicken, 1/3 cup cream of chicken soup, and frozen veggie mix, put to the side.....

Mix the bisquick mix and 2/3 cups milk.  Knead the dough 5x then roll it out until it is about 12"x8" rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.

Spread the chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the bisquick dough.  Roll the dough with the mixture inside, so the roll is 12 inches wide.  Slice the dough roll into 1-1.5 inch rolls and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.  Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the dough has turned a golden brown.

While the rolls are cooking,  mix the remaining chicken soup into a sauce pan with 1 cup of milk, and warm.  Ladle the remaining soup on chicken rolls after they have been baked.  (We actually leave the sauce on the side and let people add the sauce themselves).

It's yummy, easy, relatively healthy, and it sneaks the veggies in :-)

Love2uKiss

118 63 8 47
RSVP Date September 24

DeezNuttiest Posts : 200 Registered: 1/10/08
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: Love2u

if you like to grill and want something fast i have an awesome carne asada recipe.

prep 1 to 2 days ahead of time. about 15 minutes

a few lbs of carne asada or any really thin sliced meat, like breakfast steaks. (depends how many your cookin for)

combine~ 1 of each: yellow, red, green and orange bellpeppers, i deseed a little more then half and slice up in big slices.  for less meat use less peppers. 

about 4 jalepenos sliced long ways (deseeded if you want), 

1 lemon and 1 lime- juice,

sweet onion- sliced, 

1 good beer,

and a few tbs of melted butter (sorry i dont messure, enough to coat everything), salt and pepper to taste.

i throw it all together in a ziplock or marinader and beat it up lol, seriously lol put it in a ziplock, then a plactic bag and hit it, it releases more of the flavors from the peppers and some aggresions too lol. then throw it in the fridge for a day or two, everytime you go to the fridge for something just give it alil shake to mix it up.

Cook~ i just slap it all on the grill, the meat only takes about 2-4minutes each side (cause its so thin) and i like the peppers to almost burn but not quite. cut meat into pieces or leave whole, serve it with some corn tortillas and some salsa if ya like.

Why does November 1st seem sooooooooo far away?????

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 6:50 AM Go to message in response to: DeezNuttiest

ooo! we've been looking for a good carne asada recipe! How exciting!

wedding ticker

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: ladymcbride

What a great thread!!!! I love getting new recipes!!! Here's one if you have a crockpot, I love crockpots, throw everything in, leave for the day and come home to dinner already made!!

CrockPot Mushroom Chicken:

2-3 thawed chicken breasts

1 can cream mushroom soup

1/4 cup Chicken broth

1 small can mushroom pieces (drained)

Put chicken into bottom of crockpot. In a bowl, mix mushroom soup, chicken broth together. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle mushroom pieces on top. Turn Crockpot on LOW for 8 hours.

I usually serve with mashed potatoes and the rest of the soup mixture acts as a gravy!!! Enjoy!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine