Father Daugher Dance...Opinions..

Online Users: 1,275 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Father Daugher Dance...Opinions..
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 11:16 AM

Ok, so my dad isn't the type of guy to just sit there and sway back and forth for a dance.  Not at all.  For every occasion where he's needed to 'perform' a dance in front of people, he's coreographed some kind of ballroom dance.  Waltz, Cha-Cha, Swing, etc. 

Since I'm not changing out of my big white dress at all, we figured the waltz would be easiest.  Plus, we already know the waltz. We danced to the Tennessee Waltz for my cotillion.

I have to pick a song, and for some reason the first thing I thought of and I like are the waltzes from Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. 

What do you guys think?  Too princess-y? Not really a "father-daughter" kind of song?  Hmm..

**Live High, Live Mighty, Live Righteously...**

**Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important.**

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Father Daugher Dance...Opinions..
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 11:33 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Eh - Im sure it would be okay, but I think the song you choose should be special to both you and your Dad in some way. So if those songs are, then they are good choices. But there are PLENTY of other great songs that would work for a Waltz. Why not ask your dad if there is a song he would prefer? I think its adorable that you are waltzing with dad by the way.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Thanks Kelley! :-P My dad and I don't really have any special song really.  So normally we just pick a song that matches the style of dance. I've actually been trying to find a waltz song for a while.  I've just gotten fed up and tried my first idea out again. Haha...

I've asked my dad if there's any song he wants to do in particular, but he's too indecisive.  He's kind of weird in that he's uber picky to the point that it takes him forever to decide, or he's not able to decide at all!  So I don't know.  I'm having a hard time thinking...my brain is fried trying to make all these decisions on every little detail.  How do people do this?  How did you decide to do this as a job?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 11:39 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

We2Heart - I hear ya on the uber picky, my FH is like that sometimes.

But on the subject of songs/dances - it sounds like to me that planning the dance and performing it IS the special time for you and your Dad (please correct me if I'm wrong), in that case the song choice ties into the performance and makes perfect sense.

Good luck! 

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 8:16 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

PharmTox, You're absolutley right.  I hardly really think about it that way, but it really is.  I usually get annoyed because he's so anal about things, but looking back at it, it's always been fun.  And since he works so much, when we would practice for something, its like our special time to be together.  This is probably one of the last times we'll be coreographing a dance too. Oh no, I'm going to cry....Haha 

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Definately! MY dad and I both sing; so at my wedding; our special thing was that we performed a Christmas Medley Duet during the Cocktail hour for our Guests. It was REALLY fun because I got to spend time practicing with him for it and it was our little moment during the night. My dad is also pretty anal LOL - but it was really nice and in the end I was so happy we did it.

As far as your dance, I noticed you wrote Swing/ChaCha/Waltz. Do you know which one youll be doing?They are quite different as far as styles go. Here are some good choices I found for each:

WALTZ:

After The Ball Is Over - Nat King Cole

Edelweiss - Sound of Music

Moon River - Perry Como

Shes Leaving Home - The Beatles

Lullabye- Billy Joel

How Sweet It is - James Taylor

Unforgettable - Nat King Cole (or theduet with Natalie and Nat)

Daughters - John Mayer

FOR SWING:

Stompin At the Savoy - The Way You Look Tonight - The Best is Yet To Come - Youre NoBody Til somebody Loves You - Pennies from Heaven - Luck be a Lady - Jump Jive and Wail -Isnt She Lovely - Sing,Sing,Sing

CHA-CHA:

Sway - Rosemary Clooney or Dean Martin

Daddy- Della Reese

Smooth - Santana

Very tough to find good father daugther dances for ChaCha in my search, but hopefully this list helps you a little.

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

LOL they're just perfectionists :-P 

Thanks for the song suggestions Kelley!  Yup, we're doing the waltz.  I kept listening to the classical type waltz, but I didn't like any of them really.  And that's most of the options he's come up with, which is why we were kind of stuck.  Maybe they have orchastrated versions of these songs?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Maybe they do. But you dont really need an orchestra version as the songs listed all have the proper/correct "beat" or pacing musically for a Waltz. Give some of them a listen or show your Dad and maybe he will like one of them. There are quite a few beautiful songs on that list, so something should work for you.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

True.  They are beautiful songs on their own. I'll have him listen to them.  Thanks again!

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

ARGH!!  need to vent.  Dad and I spent out first "practice" trying to pick a song to dance to.  In the past I never really cared what song, but for this I kind of wanted something a little more "to the occasion" per say.  But now I realize my dad has no clue.

First off...he didn't like ANY of the songs I picked.  And it wasn't because they were bad songs.  He liked them, just not for the dance.  Why?! 1. There was singing...which ugh! The one's with singing were good, IMO...he just gets distracted. 2. He wants a difinitive beat.  Ok dad, they ALL have the same beat.  Just different paces.  3.  He wants this PARTICULAR speed.  What?! Just pick up the pace/slow down to match the beat.  4.  He didn't want to do the Viennese Waltz style.  Ok, fine. I get it. Too fast for you. You're getting old.  Plus I might have a hard time too...with 3" heels.

Secondly, I think he forgot that I already knew the waltz and even though I told him repeatedly, he kept telling me to watch my sister (he just performed the waltz with her at her cotillion last month).  And...my sister was wrong on some footwork.  I didn't point it out, I just did it the right way. But she was like no you're doing it wrong! Um...You learned from Dad, I learned from Ballroom Dance instructors...I think I know what I'm doing.  And if my dad does some funky footwork, I adjust.  You step on him cuz you memorized what he did before.

Oh, I forgot to mention his idea of doing a traditional cultural dance fused with the waltz...which I can do, but there's only 3 weeks to practice.  Not to mention the traditional cultural part would be hard in my wedding gown and shoes (it's a rural barefoot type dance).  We scrapped that idea, though neat, because I wasn't sure it would work.

Sigh, normally this kind of thing is fun.  But I can't get into it.  I'm not 100% on the song choice (mostly because I don't think the version we are using sounds right), I'm worried about my dress being too constricting, I'm worried about my shoes...just over all stressed out.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 2:56 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Since my first dance with EH was to "Once Upon A Dream" from Sleeping Beauty (though we just swayed back and forth! lol) I'm going to have to say that I think it is a GREAT idea!  It may not be "father-daughtery" but it fits the two of YOU and that is what is most important.

Just make sure it doesn't outshine your first dance with your FH- I think THAT might be kind of weird...

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

:-) If my dad were ok with the waltz from sleeping beauty, I think we would have definitely used it.  But he's really picky.

We ended up picking Moon River.  I love the song, but don't much like the version he wants.  But he's stubborn and I don't want to fight him on it.  

newsie- I'm kind of worried in a way that it will outshine my first dance with FH.  We don't have any kind of choreography or any specific type of dance.  We're just going to end up swaying back and forth! LOL.  Plus his mother-son dance is also just swaying back and forth. So I don't know. I"ll break it up so that our first dance is right at the beginning and then wait to dance with my dad til right before the dance floor opens. 

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

ooh I love Moon River! You're so lucky that your dad can dance. My dad is a major swayer- we make fun of him all the time about it.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine