Disney/Beauty & the Beast inspired wedding

Online Users: 1,328 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

MohawkFever Posts : 52 Registered: 11/4/07
Disney/Beauty & the Beast inspired wedding
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 6:30 PM

Hi! My name is Stacy, and my fiance Joshua and I are to be married tentatively in May of '09. But, one can never plan too early I don't think.. or so i'm told :) So i'm here for help/ideas!

We have in mind to do a Beauty & The Beast/Disney inspired wedding. When I say inspired, I don't mean anything tacky like dressing up in costume (though I adore costumes) and parading around with singing candlesticks.. I mean inspired - as in, a classy, conservative wedding.. with unique touches.
So far my ideas are more or less limited to:

Glass dome + single rose centerpieces
"Belle" inspired wedding gown (not a reproduction!! I'll post more about this soon)
"Beast"/"Prince" inspired groom's tux
Disney princess inspired bridesmaids and 'Prince' groomsmen
Probably a lot of red roses

The only colours we're definitely set on are ivory/champagne and deep red. I'd like to add a third colour but i'm so indecisive. We've tossed around royal/deep blue..  shades of purple.. but no gold - we like silver instead of gold. Any ideas?? (and yes, we're having a Spring wedding, but we refuse to give in to pastels and preppy colours! romance all the way!)

I'd love more ideas on 'themey' touches - veering away from going overboard but rather keeping it unique and lovely. :)

Thank you so much for any help!!

Message was edited by: MohawkFever

Re: Disney/Beauty & the Beast inspired wedding
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

I love your idea of the Beauty and the Beast inspired Wedding.  I think that it is very original and that you will look wonderful.  Color suggestions would be to go with the purple.  It is used in a lot of regal style events it also blends so much better with the champagne than the blue does.  My sister had Royal Blue and Ivory (Champagne) for her wedding and it just didnt look well together,  but she loved the colors.  If you are planning a Disney themed Wedding you might just fir kicks write to Disney and ask them if they have any suggestions and they might even want to send you some items for your big day.  One idea for the centerpieces for the tables would be to use a teapot and fill it with smaller flowers.  You can also find little teacups and fill them with a very small bouquet of flowers and place these at each setting and have a card in them stating that you are thankful for your guests attending your special day and use these as favors to give or as placecards.  I found a site that has items for themed weddings and she might have something that you could use.  It is called www.weddingsandgiftsdirect.com .  Her Tiaras are beautiful and so are her Jewelry sets, and not to mention, very well priced.  I got my tiara with her.  It was $69.00 there and at Davids Bridal it was $250.00 and my Necklace Set was $45.00 and at Davids it was almost $100.00.  This included the necklace and earrings.  I was thoroughly impressed with it.  They look like real diamonds and shine like them too.   

Floral suggestions would be Peonies.  They have very full buds and are a spring flower and come in many beautiful shades of whites, ivory, pink and purple.  You can mix these with red roses and add a touch of glitz with  silver sparkle floral add ins.  I out together floral arrangements in my spare time to sell at craft fairs and I have done pieces with roses and peonies with the sparkle fillers and they look amazing.  Another Idea for the centerpieces if you don't like the teapot or teacup idea is to take a glass plate,  and strew rose petals all and center it with a silver or purple candle dish and have candles lit inside.  It is pretty once you get it all put together.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!  Try that website once and see if there is anything that they have you might like.  www.weddingsandgiftsdirect.com

Marie.

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

My suggestion is for you to research the influences for the film as well as taking cues from the time period (there are many references to France and also the Baroque period:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque

Since you already have a centerpiece in mind (although in my opinion, there should only be one rose in a glass dome to make it more special...perhaps as the centerpiece at a sweetheart table with the bride and groom only), perhaps you can use candleabras at the guest book table or buffets (what was the centerpiece in the film when Belle and the Beast had their first "romantic" dinner?).

I did a quick google search and this is one blurb that may help with influences:

Art directors working on the film traveled to the Loire valley in France for inspiration, and studied the great French romantic painters like Fragonard and Boucher to give their settings a European look.

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

http://www.disneybridal.com/

There's a whole line of "belle" dresses and accessories.  I think your idea will be beautiful.  

goldenLOVE Posts : 44 Registered: 9/8/06
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

Im getting married March of 2009... I thought I was the only one so excited to start planning this early... lol Nice to see Im not alone.

Anyhow, I started looking at themes recently also. I love your Beauty and the Beast idea. My FH wouldnt go for it though because he doesnt want to be the beast.... pretty boys, you gotta love em....lol Im no expert but I love the theme myself. I would suggest you go along with the single rose idea. Afterall, it was a prominent part of the movie. That rose... remember? I would suggest you use a lot of roses, Im not too kemp on using other flowers. I think it will make guests overlook the whole theme thing... u know? Roses will do the trick... I also liked the idea that was suggested about the rose petals on a dish with a votive candle in the center... Im hoping to do something of that effect for  my tables... not sure if Im going to use roses...

I was looking at the theme Bronze Elegance. I just love gold, and bronze, and those rust shades... I dont know why.

"Love is THE BEST!" - me

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

I would look here for some inspiration:

http://www.disneyweddings.go.com/site/gate/index.jsp?CMP=KNC-WDWedBrandGoogle&HBX_PK=weddings+at+disney&HBX_OU=50

This link should take you to the Disney wedding website for the wedding/vow renewals that they do at their theme parks.  You can look at their different locations for receptions, and they have different table decorations that are inspired by different Disney movies.  My daughter and I had fun looking at this and playing around with the different settings.  It may be helpful for getting ideas for your reception.

Priscilla & John

Crazy for each other, since 1995.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 7:41 AM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love that you are inspired by this movie....it's my favorite and I'm incorporating bits and pieces of it in FH and my wedding. I also like the single rose in the glass case as well as using purple. (I happen to be using purple too, just a pastel version) I also like the candleabra idea.

What if at the ceremony you played some music from the movie? I mean, don't go overboard but maybe find a pianist who can "reproduce" a song so bits and pieces from a few songs all join in one?

For your dress try finding a pickup gown or just a more ballgown dress....maybe with capped sleeves. There are a lot of really nice options out there in that department.

The magic mirror was a big thing in the movie too so maybe you could set the centerpieces on top of a circular mirror. I have seen a lot of beautiful pics with that incorporated.

Good luck!

MelissaSmile

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: MelissaJuneBrid...

Oh I am SO JEALOUS! My favorite movie is B&tB. I collect the musical snowglobes and the Brass Key porcelain dolls. (although I have alot more than that....) I would love to have a B&tB wedding. My FH is very picky and we are running into problems with what we have already. Anyway I read about a website in a book I have at home. i'll post it later after I get home. I would see if you can find a chandelier for above the dance floor. Remember the scene where they are dancing and the 'camera' swoops up to the ceiling and you see the angels around the chandelier?

Also you can check out the bridal gowns from Disney but to me they don't look much like anything Belle wore. I guess thats why they are Disney 'inspired'.

If I think of anything else I'll post it. Is your fiancee wearing the blue tux coat that Beast wore?

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

~Ghandi

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry it took so long to get back here.
I found the book and the article I wanted to let you know about.

"In a small bridal boutique in Celebration Florida many brides have found their fairy godmother in Shelly Geery and her shop, Impressions (www.fairytalewedding.com) Over the years Shelly has customer designed wedding invites, ceremony programs, favors and other decor accents for couples re-creating Cinderella's ball, Beauty and the Beast inspired events and those where the guests of honor are two mice, Mickey and Minnie"

That's the beginning of the article in the book "I'm getting married, now what?!"

HOpe this helps a little. Congrats and if I find anything else I'll let you know. (Just living vicariously through others who are actually having the wedding I want!)

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

~Ghandi

Belle1154 Posts : 235 Registered: 11/2/06
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Haha I love this!! I am trying to have a Beauty and the Beast inspired wedding as well!!
My dress is a David's bridal dress (v9010) but I had my seamstress alter the neckline and sleeves so it looks like Belle's.  I am wearing my hair like hers, carrying roses (purple, not red) have the ice sculpture shaped like the rose under the dome and our first dance is to Beauty and the Beast (the song he proposed during)
I love that there is another B&B fan out there!
"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine..."

MohawkFever Posts : 52 Registered: 11/4/07
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

A few months later, here.. LOL. Just wanted to say THANK YOOOU to all you lovely ladies who responded to this post with tips. I really appreciate it and it's a big inspiration! (We pushed the wedding another year, so we have more time to plan and save now!)

If anyone has any additional ideas, that'd be awesome.
Again, thank you so much!

Now getting married in June 2010, btw. :)

Tale as old as time
                                         Song as old as rhyme

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

I love Beauty and the Beast!!! My FH wasn't down for a B&tB themed wedding tho. BUT, I must say, now that I've picked my dress, I think Belle is somewhere in my head. haha My dress reminds me SO MUCH of Belle's yellow ballgown! (But without the cap sleeves which you could add on!) Alfred Angelo style 1963. I have pics of my in it in my "Someone help me PLEASE" thread in the Wedding Dresses section. Check it out :)  And good luck!!!
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

I would also suggest looking at the Disney weddings website though I am sure you probably already have.  Some of their dresses are really pretty but I also agree that the Belle ones don't look as much like Belle's classic dress.  If you wanted a dress that was more modelled after her's in style go for pick up skirts and cap sleeves and if you wanted to you could wear elbow length gloves too.  You could also try and mimic her hairstyle from the movie if you like it.

If I had used this theme I would only use a single rose under glass just to keep it special but I like the idea of putting a round mirror under it as well that could be cute.

I like the idea of tea pots or candlebras as well.  Or if you used candlebras for the centrepieces you could set a single tea pot and a cracked tea cup at your signing table and that would be really cute.

Dancing to their song would be really sweet too, I would have loved to because I love the movie, it is my favourite Disney film and Belle has always been my favourite.

You could try tying in the fact that she was a bookworm too and maybe have some books tied in string or ribbon somewhere.

Look and see if you can find a B&B cake topper, like one of them dancing.

I would use only roses to emphasize their importance too.

That's all I can think of now but I will return if I have other ideas.

Newsie should really be all over this :D

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: MohawkFever

Mohawk, I LOVE your ideas, they all sound really beautiful, especially your centerpieces.  If you are having a florist do those, though, I would make sure you see a mock-up of it just to make sure it is what you want as I can imagine all sorts of hideous things they could do to something that should be so delicate and beautiful!

I would reconsider the "no gold" idea mainly because if you are really trying to do this theme the gold is a BIG part of that.

Obviously, you could use one of the songs from the movie or Broadway show as your first dance song but don't forget about the cocktail hour as it is a great time to play the whole darn soundtrack (just make sure the volume isn't so loud people can't talk!).  I used to work at Walt Disney World and while I didn't want a whole Disney wedding I did want some Disney touches so I had my DJ play two whole CD's of Disney music.  I used the music from Epcot and the Magic Kingdom's fireworks shows since they were primarily instrumental and it was really, really beautiful. 

Those are the first things I thought of, if I think of anything else I will post again! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine