Not sure where to start!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

PlayingMyCards Posts : 29 Registered: 8/2/08
Not sure where to start!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 11:02 PM

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these boards for a couple weeks but just now signed up.  I've caught on to the fact that strange things are happening, old threads are reappearing, etc., so I wasn't sure where the best place would be to introduce myself, tell my story, and add to the conversation!  So, I started a new thread.  Hope that's okay!

I'm not engaged yet but I've been with my bf for 2 years and we've lived together for the past year (I think Aug. 5 will be one year exactly :) ).  I'm 26 and he's 27.  We've talked about marriage and are heading in that direction; I'm just impatient for it all to happen!  I have one broken engagement in my past which will probably come in up in conversation at some point, but that's another thread entirely...

So...here I am!  I love all things wedding-related and am excited to see what everyone is up to.  (Oh, and the story behind my user name is on my profile.  After I made it, I wondered if it was too "un-wedding" but oh well!) 

"It's not the hand that you're dealt, but how you're playing your cards."

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Re: Not sure where to start!
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome Playing!

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! 

These Boards and the Ladies were extremely instrumental in offering numerous suggestions in planning my own wedding. I seriously don't know how I'd have gotten along without them!  

Linda Jo and Dean July 19, 2008

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine/

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome to the boards.  Enjoy your stay.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

nah, don't worry about an Unweddingy name. hehe Mine has nothing to do with wedding either. :)

Welcome!  Hopefully your boy will start to catch up on the wedding talk! hehe Don't drive yourself nuts though before he manages to pop the question! 

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

dyminbride Posts : 87 Registered: 5/6/08
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome!  Sorry to hear your heart was broken in such a way but if it lead you to the one you love now then it was all for a good reason!

Call me  MRS ROBINSON!!Kiss

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: dyminbride

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcomes!

dyminbride - For the most part, I believe in all that "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and "Everything happens for a reason" stuff.  So if a broken engagement with someone else is what happened to lead me to where I am now, so be it!  :)

Nalamienea - Yes, I've read and heard lots of advice on how NOT to go crazy!  I think having this site as an outlet will help a lot. 

He and I have had many discussions regarding marriage, and it's no longer a question of IF we will marry, but WHEN.  So, some people may consider us to be engaged already, but I kinda like the idea of him formally asking on one knee to make it "official".  HOWEVER, let it be known that I will be thrilled whether he is on one knee or both or none, and whether there is a ring or a twistie tie or nothing at all.  Trust me - I know that a ring presented on one knee does not a solid relationship make...I had that the first time around with my ex-FH and clearly it meant nothing in that case.  I'm just excited to move forward in planning our lives together!

nestyn08 Posts : 156 Registered: 7/11/06
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome a board,

I also have a broken engagement. It was really hard at first after all the planning our lives together. And I completely  agree on the one knee thing , my ex even had the talk with my parents asking for their permission, old fashion way. 

Now I'm trying to start again with someone else, not doing so good but hanging in there!!1

anyways welcome 

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome to the boards...I've been here for a while and I'm not "officially" engaged either, although we have set a date.  We're really backwards...lol!  But the ladies are great!  There are a lot of NWR threads here, so we're not all weddings all the time.

I have been engaged b4 and he is trying to make a reappearance in my life right now...but I just keep remembering why it didn't work to begin with.

Good luck and WELCOME!!!

"And there you go!!" Said the ULTIMATE old hag...

I'm fresh out of tickers.  Kiss

AvaElzbieta Posts : 7 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Hello, how are you? I have been lured to this site after my friends both got engaged and sucked me into their hurricane of planning. Only then did I realize how truly depressed I've been feeling, waiting for my boyfriend of almost four years (been living together for one) to finally seal the deal. Until I found this forum the other day, I felt like I was alone, but lo and behold lots of wonderful ladies feel the same way too! Can't wait to share the wedding wonders with all of you, rather than berate my boyfriend, heehee. How have you been handling the pre-engagment emotions?

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: AvaElzbieta

Nesty - I can relate, my ex-FI asked my entire family (dad, mom, and younger sis) for permission.  It was ridiculously adorable and meaningful at the time, but thinking back on it I just feel bitter.  Following those kinds of traditions definitely does not ensure a healthy, long-lasting relationship.  So I couldn't care less if they happen this time around.  :)

BoysMissLady - thanks for the welcome.  It's definitely rocky starting another relationship after having been engaged to someone.  Even though I tried my hardest not to bring past issues into my current relationship, you can't help but be affected by them.  A broken engagement, at least for me, changes the way I think about entire relationships in general, not just the engagement stage.  Like, 'oh sure you're nice to me now and everything's great, but wait until such and such happens, you'll turn out just like ex-FI' etc. etc.  It was super rough when I started dating my current BF, but we (I) worked through each issue as it came up and he was SO patient and understanding with me!  I felt horrible that someone else's mistakes were being taken out on him, but he was able to see it with an amazing amount of perspective, and I now have the highest level of respect for him for being able to do that.  In the end, it's been just another stinky life experience that has helped us grow closer and stronger.  So - hang in there, there's hope :)

AvaElzbieta - Glad to see I'm not the only one ;)  I have moments of intense frustration and impatience, just wanting things to move on to the next stage so I can enjoy my engagement properly this time and prove that my past doesn't doom me to relationship failure forever.  But, I also (for the most part) am able to put it out of my mind, stay busy, and remind myself that (in my case) even getting engaged doesn't mean the relationship will last or be as good as I deserve.  I focus on paying attention to the little things and moments that I appreciate about my BF and savor the fact that we are in a far better place than my ex-FI and I ever were.  :)

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: PlayingMyCards

Welcome to the boards.  I don't think I ever officially introduced myself anywhere; I just began posting.  Why must you be so formal and make me feel rude?  He he, kidding.  :)

Enjoy the chaos!Cool

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & that the Eskimos has a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me when you sleep & there are no words for that -Brian Andreas

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine