Looking for any ideas for a Wedding Dress!

Online Users: 1,230 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

Kickadeepi Posts : 18 Registered: 4/20/08
Looking for any ideas for a Wedding Dress!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:19 AM

I'm looking for a wedding dress and I'm open to all different possibilities. I'm mainly looking for something that is more of a ball gown style with a nice lengthy train and nice embellishments. As of right now price is not an issue (as long as it's no million dollar dress) but I'm just looking for different things. So post some links or pictures if you could. Thanks so much!

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: Looking for any ideas for a Wedding Dress!
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

please don't take this remark as snide or snippy... but I wanted to point out that this kind of thread is super hard.  There are a million different kinds of dresses out there and the guidelines you've given us are so difficult. Also, there are tons of websites that have pictures on them... 

Are you just asking if we've seen anything particularly different looking? It seems like you really haven't started doing your research yet.  The bridal magazines always have the newest dresses in them, and if price really isn't an object then you should be able to just buy a dress that's in a magazine if there's one you like.

Please again, i'm not being snarky here.  I just don't know what you want us to do... post all the pics of any all-gown style dress with a train and embellishments? 

What kind of embellishments do you like? crystals, beading, embroidery, lace?

What style neckline are you partial to? Is a "good length" train chapel length (medium)? Cathedral length? (longest)

If you are having problems with these things, maybe trying to think of the wedding style that you like will help pick the style of the dress. Are you thinking of a garden wedding or something more modern on the roof top of a high rise?  Or is a barn wedding in the middle of a corn field more your style?

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Message was edited by: Nalamienea

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

I've been married for a year, and I love helping other brides find dresses on here.  But a few more details would be really helpful!!  The PP gave some good advice on helping us to narrow down your search.  Please give more details about what you're looking for, so we can help you!

Off the top of my head I would suggest Mary's Bridal (though I'm biased, since that was my dress) The gowns are priced very reasonably, usually less than $1000.  If you want to spend more, look at the Demetrios princess line, which I would have looked into had I had more of a budget to spend on a dress.  (Unfortunately I don't know exactly how much those dresses are... someone else on here can tell you, I'm sure)

Here's a couple from Mary's that fit your description... unfortunately the site uses flash so I can't get the pics to post, but I'll give you the links:

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/8652.htm

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/8609.htm

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/8611.htm

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/9615.htm

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/5718.htm

From Demetrios:

Does this help at all? Help us out by narrowing down the options.  What neckline do you like?  What color?  Do you like sparkly stuff?  Embroidery?  Pearls or diamonds?

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

Oh, and also try the wedding gown searchers on here and theknot.com.  I went to the one here on brides and searched for ball gowns with cathedral trains, and came up with 73 results.

http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor?f=135%3a136&f=92%3a94

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

I'm sorry if at first I was a little vag. I found a dress I originally liked and then they discontinued it and I can't seem to find another style like it. Here's a little example of something I kind of like:

http://www.bridesofcalifornia.com/Maggie-Sottero/Bridal/Cordelia.asp

I like the embroidery, I love any sparkles, Pearls are good but not too big. I like a lot of bead work. I'm looking for more of a modern classic/ renaissance dress. I don't care for the long sleeves of the renaissances, but the long long trains are nice, lots of frills. I don't mind it being with spaghetti straps or with out straps, but I don't care for the strapless ones that come down to a V. I love the long veil with embellishments on her dress but I wish it was longer and more of a slight poof like a Cinderella dress. Hope this helps, sorry about not explaining myself more. 

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

Reem Acra designs the most amazing ball gowns and is well known for her intricate beadwork...

This one below in particular was my favorite ball gown, but I couldn't afford it.....it's also a Reem Acra

You should really check the Knot as there are many ball gowns that meet your specifications.  The style of the dress  you posted a link to is also similar to many Mori Lee designs, so you should check their site as well. 

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

hmmm if you don't like strapless that rules out a lot of the maggie sottero.  but I found htis one, which is available in white:

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?line=m&attrib30=273&attrib31=277&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=8&style=J1168&moreOptions=1

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?line=m&attrib30=273&attrib31=280&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=8&style=V7050&moreOptions=1</a>

Those are a couple of maggie sottero gowns that aren't strapless and have ballgown shapes.  

This one I found on theknot.com from  Monique Lhuillier, has some cool lace

Above also from the knot.com by Demetrios, very cool details on this dress

VERY unique details on the one above, some serious cleavage (i'm typically okay with that, but it's not for everyone) but how COOL is that croquet bodice?? The designer is Sposa By St. Pucci

very pretty lace and button detail on this one, designed by Novia D,Art (nope, not a typo, it has a comma in it. lol)

So anyway, there are tons of gowns out there for you to see, you just have to go through them. :) Let us know if you like any of these! 

wedding ticker

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 9:10 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Thanks Everyone! I was been trying on dresses before and din"t find much. I found a different bridal place that sells Monique Lhuillier. After looking at her styles I think I'll go there and try on a few. Thanks!

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

I hope that you let us know which ones you try and one take pictures for us to see!! :) (the problem with asking questions on here is then you have a bunch of nosy brides who all think they have an investment in which dress you pick! hehe)
wedding ticker

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Yeah I'll diffidently post picks of ones I like! Thanks everyone!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

I have to chime in and say I LOVE Monique Lhuillier's gowns. She's awesome. I had a gown made that was a replica of one of hers from 2006 season. I just checked out the Spring 2009 line on her site and I love it! Some of her dresses are a little out there, but I really like most of them.

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

lin and nate

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine