Scroll Invitations?! Help!

Online Users: 1,239 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Scroll Invitations?! Help!
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 7:26 PM

So FH and I have been doing pretty good sticking to our budget but I wanted to skip on things that I didn't think were going to matter that much so I could use the money somewhere else. Reading through some of the "things you regret" threads I saw that I bunch of people said they wished they hadn't spent so much money on their invites.The same day I went out and got a DIY invite kit FH comes home and tells me that he now wants scroll invitations....

More power to him. I love him dearly and he's So enthusiastic about our wedding plans I love that he's been helping me out with all that we've gotten accopmplished so far...but regular invitations would be so much easier!! He rationalizes it that this is the one time he'll have an excuse to send out 'awesome scroll invitations' instead of traditional ones. Boys are cute sometimes regardless of age...

Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of invitations that they've seen or reputable places to purchase these things? Another concern of mine is if the invites are scrolls how are we going to have the R.S.V.P card & return envelope in with them? Help or ideas  please! 

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Scroll Invitations?! Help!
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

My first thought was "Oh honey you have to talk him out of that one". I don't even know what that really is. A scroll like when they roll up a certificate of some form? Well those would be a PITA to mail, would cost more and there is no response card, which is an etiquette no, no. Is there some way you could transform this scroll idea into another part of the wedding ie favors or a scroll that he gets to unroll during the reception and pronounce something, like his love for you. Oh yes boys are so cute when they get involved.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Scroll like two bars with paper in between "here yee here yee" scroll! I know I've been trying to compromise this one because well it's not that great of an idea.But he's holding fast 

http://www.creativeweddingcards.com/cart/ViewCards.asp?category=14

there's just a random site the pops up when you google it. I'm hoping to just maybe give him like a scroll thank you note(paper rolled up tied with a bow) that guests will take with them. I don't know it doesn't even tie in with anything else wedding but it is quite original...I'm trying to be positive about it just because he has been such an enthusiastic help the past few months but I can't think of a way around this one.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Thats what I thought but how does he propose to get the RSVP's not to mention any additional info you might need?. hmm how about going with the scroll thank you cards? ( He might even be worn out by then!)

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Maybe suggest scroll wedding programs - now that would be awesome!

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

haha I can't help but giggle. I told him I was going to post his idea on here for ideas to make it do-able. He's going to be disappointed when I tell him that girls say Ney to his grand scroll idea.

There just isn't a feasible 'classy' way to do them(plus they are more $$$). Some sites do offer matching RSVP cards & envelopes to put in the envelope with the scroll.Invites are supposed to be simpler than this....

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Ibet if he sees the prices he will back down. Again, you could do the programs very easily as a DIY project.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

Well in case it wasn't confirmed already, theres a reason theres no grooms.com. They focus on one thing and then say "but I want it!"

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

We are slaves to our men's desires.  Even the wedding-related ones.

FH has been sooo good at letting me do most of the planning, and I've really only consulted him on the major decisions.  One day he said out of the blue, "I'd really like 'Let it Be" to be played during the ceremony, but I don't know when or how."  So I talked to our classical guitarist/violin duo, went straight out and found the music they needed, and MADE IT HAPPEN.  It wasn't even a "I wonder how much it will cost" thing, and I'm a serious tightwad.  It was important and meaningful to him, and it was relatively easy to do, and in the end, if it helps my FH to enjoy his wedding, it will have been worth it.  It did help, however, that I also like the song and it fit with our ceremony. ;-)

Blissfully... I'm making my own invitations, down to the response cards and maps, and I'm saving about $300 because of it.  I'm certain you and FH could make scroll invites yourselves, on the cheap.  Your expense, as someone pointed out, will be in the mailing, but you could probably find mini tubes that will be post-office friendly, and mail them for the same as what a square-sized invitation costs (which requires extra postage) -- about a buck apiece.

As for a response card, well, you could always ask people to respond via telephone or by e-mail and not include a card.  Do you have a wedding web site?  We did ours through Wedquarters.com for all of $30 and it has been the BEST way to get information out there.  And, there's a feature where people can RSVP online.

Whaddaya think?

Amy

AmySquared...two November brides "on a mission from Gad"! 

"Don't give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment."

Check out our web site:  http://amyandrodney.wedquarters.com/ 

NinaMendel Posts : 1 Registered: 7/31/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

I ordered my scroll invitations from MajesticInvites.com http://www.majesticinvites.com/scroll-invitations.htm

They were great at figiring out my colors and the good thing about them is that they have hundreds of varieties of scrolls in practically any color. Also any invitation can be customized, so you are not restricted to what you see on the web. Every detail from scroll knobs to tassels to ribbons to font color and paper color can be customized.

IN response to your question regarding where the RSVP cards go. With MajesticInvites.com's designs - they go in a specially designed and provided free of charge mailer envelopes.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: BrandNewAmy

I really liked the scrollweddinginvitations.com ones, but DANG! I think 3.25 a piece was the cheapest they came.  Maybe if you only had 50 people, this could be feasible....

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Thanks for all your input Amy has a good point about giving them what they want since it's their wedding too. It makes me feel better about it that Nina had a good recommendation for the majestic website. At least I know someone else did it and it turned out well. Maybe we'll look into ordering from that site. I'm not too sure how phone/email RSVPs would work out for our families. They all aren't computer savvy so we need something tangible for the family to look at and send back to avoid confusion

Rylan Posts : 23 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

My husband and I made our own scroll invitations for our wedding, and our guests really seemed to enjoy them. We sent them through the mail in regular envelopes and provided two ways for our guests to RSVP. One was the reply card that was included in the evelope with the scroll. The second was through our website. Each invitation had an RSVP code printed on the back of the scroll that could be entered on our website to uniquely identify each guest. (We also printed a map to the wedding on the back of the invitations). We chose to provide both methods since many of our guests are computer technologists and engineers.

If you are interested, we have pictures of our invitations along with instructions on how to make them at our website: http://www.whenisthewedding.com/invitation-double.php.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine