What to Do

Online Users: 1,239 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: What to Do
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thanks Art.

I've suspected for awhile that the whole "dress preservation" thing is a scam.  I mean, it seems obvious to clean it, but beyond that, what was the point?  An airtight container?  I can buy one of those at Target -- they are the same things I use to store my off-season clothes. 

I think I will buy an airtight container, fold the dress, and put it in storage.  No matter what I do with it, chances are it will have to be cleaned or pressed again at some point.  I still have no idea what to do with mine.  The problem is, as you know, I spent a pretty penny on it.  If I can't get half - or at least 40% - of that back, then I don't want to sell it -- I'd rather store it for one of two possible uses 1) my future daughter, for an occasion that she choses or 2) to be re-fashioned into a dress that I will wear one day on our 10 year anniversary, perhaps.  The fabric is so beautiful, I just don't want it to go to waste.

However, if there were someone who couldn't afford a wedding dress, I would totally donate it.  Particularly if they were built like me, short and curvy.  I love the idea of someone loving my dress as much as I did.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to store it as best you can, but to take it out and reevaluate its condition once a year or so. That way, if it gets damaged or starts to yellow, you can address the problem earlier rather than after it's too late.

The 'dress preservation' things that I have a problem with are the ones that say, 'We'll seal it in this special container that you can't open until you're ready to use it again.' That makes no sense. Exposing it to AIR every so often won't harm it, and it will allow you to look over its condition. You may spend more this way by cleaning it every few years or so...but personally, if I wanted my dress to last decades, I'd be willing to put the money into it to ensure that it WILL last.

Yeah, I have no idea what I'm going to do with mine, either. For now, I'm going to get it cleaned and put it away someplace safe. And I'm not going to think about it for a few years. I was initially thinking of donating my dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer for their gown sale...but now that it comes to it, I don't really want to part with it unless I know that it's going to someone who I feel deserves it, not some crazy Bridezilla looking for a deal.

MsD, from the picture I have in my head of what your dress looks like (of course, I can't remember whether I've seen a photo of it or whether I'm just making my mental picture up based on how you've described it!), I like the idea of turning it into another dress. I wouldn't want to sell it if I were you, either.

I'm pretty certain that I'm eventually going to decide that I want to make mine into something else, too. I don't know if I could make another dress out of it, but since I have all that embroidery, I think someone who could sew could probably make a few beautiful things out of it. I don't know. I think I'm going to wait and see how I feel about it in a few years. I don't want to sell mine, either, but I don't see myself keeping it for 30 years!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Quick question for Artbride:  You mentioned artifacts needing protection from UV rays; even if the window in the box the dress would be preserved in didn't protect from that, would you think the dress would still be okay if it was stored someplace where little to no light would reach it?

Michelle and Larry

KateTheBride Posts : 1 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

My mother had her wedding gown made into a christening outfit that my two brothers and I all wore when we were baptised. I think it was such a beautiful idea!

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 5:06 AM Go to message in response to: love4greys

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45679.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Dec 5, 2012 7:17 AM Go to message in response to: love4greys

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 6711 is just $329.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine