If someone can't cook why do they invite you over for dinner?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
If someone can't cook why do they invite you over for dinner?
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 4:28 PM

My MIL is a horrible cook - HORRIBLE!! Her son had told her this for years - and yet she always wants us to come over for dinner.  And if you suggest going out that doesn't solve the problem as while your sitting there at your nice dinner out she'll ask you when your going to come to her house for dinner. 

I know my cooking isn't great (not as bad as hers) but I don't go around inviting people over for dinner!! 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Re: If someone can't cook why do they invite you over for dinner?
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Humor her. Then go home and order pizza.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Thats hilarious lol. When you say shes a horrible cook,what does that mean exactly? Is her food bland; or is it really AWFUL as in disgusting to eat? LOL. I want details...

This doesnt happen in my family. We are Italian and every one of us knows how to cook lol. We just do. Its in our blood. Me, my mom, aunt, Nana, cousins, all of us.

Howevr; we do have these friends who always invite us over; they are a married couple and Ive known them since college; so for a long time. Whenever you go to their house; they NEVER offer you anything. Or if they do, it takes them like FIVE YEARS to figure out you might be thirsty or hungry. The wife has no clue how to boil water and they basically order out EVERY NIGHT. Its funny. So they might say, "You guys wanna order?" but thats the extent of their host qualities.

Whenever anyone comes into my home, the FIRST thing I do is "Are you comfortable? Something to drink? Eat?" and I ALWAYS put out at the VERY LEAST some cheese and crackers, chip and dip, veggies, fruit, something....

THats just how I was brought up I guess. Some peopel dont give it a second thought though. You could be in their house for hours until finally you have to say, "Can I have a glass of water?" THen they act like its a big routine ... washing out the glass, "Oh we dont have ice, is that ok?" You dont have ICE?? who doesny have ICE??? Weird.

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I didn't have ice once, the fridge was broken so we ran out it was terrible.  You probably heard about it.  It was the great ice disaster of 2005.  It had full media coverage.

Cyclist maybe you could take a cooking class together to help her out.  My sister in law can't cook either.  It sucks when we have gatherings we always tell them to bring drinks or something.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

LOLOL I did hear about that Kennys. It was tragic.

Okay once is fine. But to NOT have ICE in your freezer all the time and scratch your head at company like its a weird request for ice water??? Cmon. Some people just dont know how to have other people over lol.

OH and another couple we know; they will invite us over too; and EVERYTIME we go there; their entire apartment is filled with boxes. Like; its not MESSY.. they just LIVE LIKE THAT. It loks like they just moved in,but they have been there over 3years!!! Boxes everywhere, stuff all over the couch, you always are moving stuff to sit down. Its not dirty...but its so packed with STUFF its nuts. And they dont even give it a second thought. Like, how do you LIVE here?? You cant sit down and watch TV. I dont get that. At all. How is that a comfortable environment to come home to?

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Perhaps she has learned to cook something and wants to show off that she now knows how to cook.....
When is my wedding

KitKatBar Posts : 983 Registered: 7/23/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 11:27 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

When we have people over I always make sure to make a dish that will be well liked. I can cook, but don't necessarily enjoy doing it. But if I don't cook, we don't eat, so I'm always looking for new recipes or variations on my old ones. 

Some friends of ours however, are just awful cooks. And they pester you about eating something, or taking a drink. I politely declined, I do not want anything. No, twenty seconds later, I still do not want anything. The cooking though, my god. They made a ham and it was still like half frozen in the middle and all not cooked...it was awful.  

Sollie Posts : 24 Registered: 4/4/08
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 11:50 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

I'm so sorry, OP. Maybe when she does you can offer to bring a dish? Or someone said something about taking a cooking class together? Both sound like a good idea. But I'm curious...what exactly is so bad about her food? 

I can't cook that well (I know the basics lol) but I always offer everyone a drink within ten minutes of them getting in my house. And I ask again every 45 or so minutes. And I also let them know the snack food we have, or if we have something I can cook.

Luckily, my fiancee is an amazing cook, so once we live together our friends will be happy lol. Cool

"The sun warms everything, even while I am far away. Love me faithfully, and know that I am faithful."------Z. Randall Stroope

"You and I collide." ------Howie Day "Collide"

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: Sollie

Okay I will be honest I am normally a very good hostess (though I do not cook FH does and is superb at it) anyway we always offer people drinks when the arrive. BUT (and not to hijack your thread) I hate when people just "drop in" completely unannounced and uninvited.

We were out looking at houses on Saturday and then had some errands to run - Two of our friends who are also engaged had told me that they were going to be in town and I told them that we were doing those things but that I would give them a call that evening if we wanted to do something. SO we look at the houses and then go do a little of our shopping, I am starving so we go and have lunch, and then we do more of our shopping. I get a text message from her "we got bored and are sitting in your driveway."

We would NEVER drop in on this couple unexpectedly, we simply are not that close. But all of a sudden we HAD to hang out with them...and to make it worse they expected us to feed them dinner! Completely out of the blue, so we agreed to go to a movie with them and then we went to the diner and when the bill came they looked at us like we were going to pay for their meals.

So yes I just needed to rant about that for a second I'm done now...back to talking about good hostess protocol (though I think a little good guest protocol would be appropriate too)

When is my wedding

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley - it's always very bland and sometimes it's just plain awful.  She made this caserole thing one day and truthfully I looked it and thought - "oh my gosh - what is it????".  And it tasted about as bad it looks. 

Here's a clue at how bad her cooking is - holidays she is always assigned to bring the salad!! 

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Kel I was raised the same way as you. I am VERY hospitibable. Like this past Saturday I had my sister and her BF over for a "step-daddies" day...LOL. And I made Southwestern eggrolls, meatballs, sausage (all homemade with homeade sauce mind you...LOL) Baked ziti, Stromboli, and garlic bread....and it was Me, my sister, my DH and sis's BF (so FOUR adults) and my daughter (who is 7) and my neice (who is 2)...LOL. I sent home a plate to my Ma (rather a tin pan with a lid) slap FULL and still had one for our house! LOL. I ALWAYS overcook. DH makes fun of me all the time. Literally I could on any typical week  night feed at LEAST 2 more people than are in my home... She would make her "signature dish" of chicken and noodles (real inverntive huh?) and there was not one spice or seasoning on the chicken or the noodles...two of the most bland and basic foods out there. LOL.

**Formerly Gin & Gin13...forgot my password!! LOL**

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Cyclist - She probably invites you over because she actually likes spending time with you and your hubby.  Some people see food as an ends to a means (living), not a journey.

With food and gas prices being what they are, she may not think spending money out for food is a smart investment. 

I feel your pain though, my grandmother grew up in the depression and her taste buds were forever skewed.  One of her favorite dishes to serve to her "special guests" was one of the most horrible things I've ever eaten in my life!  (and I choked it down almost every time we ate there).  She'd take a can of crab meat (I hate fish and all fishy-type foods), mix it with a bar of cream cheese and a stick of butter, then spread it on bread and toast it.  It was greasy, mushy, fattening, and fishy.

However, I would give anything to be able to eat that disgusting meal and share her company again.

Love2uKiss

TinaNTim Posts : 254 Registered: 12/8/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: Love2u

I can relate as well Cyclist.  My FMIL cannot cook either.  My FI has complained for years and years about her lack of skill.  The first time she invited us over for dinner was a disaster. I never ate her cooking again.  I believe my skill in the kitchen is why FI fell in love with me in the first place. LOL

and Kelly, TOTALLY relate to the whole Italian thing.  I am too.  I think we all learn too cook in an italian family as soon as we can stand on a chair at the counter.  LOL 

JodiMarie Posts : 185 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Oh know, I'm one of those that don't normally have ice, LOL! I'm just not a big ice person, it makes my drinks too cold. I know I'm weird and it bugs my husband to no end. I'm very lacked about refilling the ice cube trays, that and leaving toothpicks on the floor.

We have friends of ours that love to cook with all these exotic spices. They also love things like Indian food, so we have had some interesting meals over there. If she's says she is going to make Chicken, it's never just chicken it's chicken coated in curry with rice, and some weird sausage. Oh yeah, and some kinda of weird flavored tea like orchid. It's not bad, it's just really different. There have been times when my  husband and I are like why don't we just order a pizza. They are usually ok with this.

Married Sept 29, 2007, I am now Mrs. Pollack. 7 months of marriage so far and everything is great.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Well when our friends settled into their new home, they invited DH and I to dinner. So we went. The husband is a good cook. He cooks all the meals. But they didnt make enough for 4 people. It was kinda weird. You know those single frozen purdue chicken breasts? Well they made exactly 4 of them. And I know the husband is a regualr size man, but my DH is not. He is TALL and a bigger guy and eats way more than a normal person. (not fat but like a football player big)

So as soon as I saw how many chicken breasts there were, I thought, "oh great, he's gunna be STARVING!!" I think they had a salad and something else, so it was OK but I'm an overcooker so I ALWAYS have leftovers--even when its just DH and I. I think I'd be embarassed if I didn't have enough for everyone to have 2nds if they wanted!

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine