Name change...confused

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Re: Name change...confused
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art...I'm in Florida and I had to get my new DL BEFORE I could get a new SS card. They would not issue me a SS card with my married name until My DL had my new name...but it was all fairly easy for me....I went to the DMV when the opened, showed them my old DL and my marriage lisence....they gave me a new DL...then I showed that at the SS office and got a new card....I also didn't have any witnesses sign my Marriage lisence...just DH me and the lady who married us...
**Formerly Gin & Gin13...forgot my password!! LOL**

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 27, 2008 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Gin thats funny cause I'm in Indiana and I couldnt get a new DL until I had my SS card! Weird!

I would call first and talk to someone just to make sure you have everything you need. I only needed the certificate that the officiant, my MOH, and the BM signed to get my new SS card. But every state is different as it turns out!

<3 I'm so in love with my hunni bunni <3

Dec 29 ,2007

Formerly MrsEichel1207

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

That's bizarre...as SSA is a federal agency, not state. I get why DMV name change requirements are different in different states, but SS requirements should be uniform across the country. Did you wait a while after getting married to change your name, Gin?

Weird. Does anybody know whether you're required to go to an SS office in your state of residence? I'm probably going to go tomorrow, but I'm planning to go to the DC one rather than one in VA, since that one is just a few blocks from work. I figured it didn't matter, since it's all federal anyway, but that's just odd that Gin had different requirements in FL.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

I like the flowers, so I'm keeping my useless ticker. Just married, 4/26/08!

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: May 28, 2008 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Nope, I did mine a week after we were married....I went to the DMV with my marriage lisence, got a DL, then went to SS office and showed my marriage lisence, DL, and old SS card...then got the new one in the mail. The HARDEST thing for me to change was my name on my electric bill and water bill...LOL
**Formerly Gin & Gin13...forgot my password!! LOL**

Posted: May 28, 2008 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Wow, that's really strange. It makes no sense that SS requirements would be different in different states. Now I'm a little worried about going to the office in DC, but I'm not taking the ENTIRE morning off to go to one in VA when I can take an hour off to go to the DC one!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Funny you mention that... all my utilities are still in my maiden name too! oh well! :)

<3 I'm so in love with my hunni bunni <3

Dec 29 ,2007

Formerly MrsEichel1207

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:29 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

I think that this all depends on what state you are in.  In MA, the application for the marriage license asked for our current names and our parents' names, our place of birth, and then it had a line for me that asked what name I would go by once I was married.  After I got the license, I went to SSA and got the new card, then to the DMV for a new license.

I have a funny story about applying for the license though.  I was born in Washington, DC.  The clerk at the office was putting our application into the system, and asked me what state I was born in.  I told her, "Washington, DC".  She says, "I know that, but what state is that in?"  I told her, "It's the nation's capital, it's not in a state."  She says, "If it's in the US, then it has to be in some state."  I said, "No, it is not in a state.  It is the District of Columbia, and it is in the US."  She says, "Well, I don't know what to put in for the state information."  I said (getting irritated), "Look, you put the city as Washington, put the state as DC."  She says, "But it's not a state."  I'm really pissed now, because I've been standing here for 20 minutes trying to explain to this idiot how to enter my information.  So she calls over a supervisor to help her.  When the supervisor hears what the problem is, he gives her a look that says "I can't believe that you work here and are this stupid", and then tells her to put Washington as the city, and DC as the state.  That dope gets paid more money than I do and can be that dumb.  Unreal!!!

Priscilla & John

Crazy for each other, since 1995.

Posted: May 29, 2008 7:20 AM Go to message in response to: PLysak

Hahaha! That's hilarious, Plysak! Funny, but I'm the other way around. I grew up in MA and live in the DC area now. (We live in Arlington now, but my license is DC because I haven't changed it since I moved here). Anyway, every time I go up to MA (or anywhere outside the DC area, really - it just seems like it happens more in MA because I go there a lot), I always get funny looks from people if they ask for my ID. One bartender argued with me over whether DC issues driver's licenses or not.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Maybe it's something in the water up here in MA that makes these Yankees forget that yes, the nation's capital IS in the US, yes, people born there are US citizens, and yes, IDs from DC are legitimate US forms of ID.  It's the country's capital for crying out loud!  They make it sound like it's freekin' Toronto, Canada, and it's our capital!

Sorry, just venting....

Priscilla & John

Crazy for each other, since 1995.

Posted: May 29, 2008 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: PLysak

Haha...well, I can say that at least in the MA circle that I grew up in, people were well aware of the truth about DC!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: May 29, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

SDIwifey -That's weird that you had to wait until you got your SS card... or did you just have to go apply first for a card?

I'm also in Indiana and yesterday I went to the SS office with my marriage license, old SS card, photo ID, and the SS -5 filled out and they gave me a receipt showing my new name and that I'll get my card in 2 weeks. 

Today, I went to the BMV to get my new DL and the first question out of the guys mouth was "did you go to SS office first?".  I showed him my receipt and we went from there. 

Art- I think I read that your DL address is different than where you live now.  Be sure to bring a bill that has your name and current address on it to the BMV.  I brought a credit card bill that has my maiden name on it and that worked fine.  As I was waiting for my DL to print, my guy & another lady had a conversation about my SS letter.  I guess they used to give out something different and my guy said "well, this is all they are giving out now.  It's all they are bringing in".  Which gave me a slight heart attack that they weren't going to let me get my new DL, but I guess they were fine with that. 

The problem I've had is that all the checks made out to Mr & Mrs DH's name, I let DH sign.  Well, the bank wasn't going to let him deposit them b/c I hadn't signed them... but they know him and said "usually people deposit them after she changes her name".  But what if I wasn't planning on changing it.... would we never get to cash them?? I thought that was a little crazy since I've read several posts on here about cashing them before going on the honeymoon or whatever.  I felt bad for those who gave checks b/c it's already was like 1 1/2 weeks since they wrote it and we hadn't cashed it yet (due to our honeymoon & memorial day). 

Posted: May 29, 2008 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: uno

Thanks, Uno. I had thought of that already, and it won't be a problem, since all the bills are made out to my current address. I moved from DC to VA three years ago and still haven't changed my license...but I rarely drive, so it's not a problem.

Bank of America let DH cash our checks without my signature, even though they were made out to 'Mr and Mrs His Name.' They also let me cash a couple that we received later. I went in with a copy of our marriage license and said, 'People made checks out to his name, assuming that I'd take his name.' They were fine with it, since it was obvious that the checks were intended for me.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

Anwen Posts : 3 Registered: 4/17/13
Posted: Apr 17, 2013 5:50 AM Go to message in response to: swichwang34

That is fine. I am thinking about this that I have no idea. This is not a good that we are going to changes the name :|

It is a reality that recently men are also giving a value to style and fashion because every men wants to look special and different from others. Lets discuss about men's stylish clothing types and their benefits like dress shirt, t-shirt, casual dresses and formal shirts. Second you will find types of fabrics used for menswear and their latest trends. For more details: [url:http://www.stitchedforme.com/]Stitched For Me[/URL]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine